Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 01:04:09 am

Author Topic: Extension 1 - Romanticism  (Read 45370 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Extension 1 - Romanticism
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 09:37:42 pm »
+1
Thanks Elyse :)

Would you guys mind having a look at my creative? Or is that only for advanced? I can probably have one over the next few weeks ready?

Mary x

Of course!

Post it here! if you like, or in this thread right here and we can take a look :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2017, 11:07:48 pm »
Hey, I'm doing the texts frankenstein, coleridge's poems and bright star. What related texts would you reccommend for this?

I'm a really big fan of Keats' work and wanted to use something like Adonais or Ode to a Nightingale as a related, but I'm ready to be pragmatic and use whatever will help my essay and effectively connect all the romantic ways of thinking etc.

I'm leaning towards using coleridge and bright star (if I can) for the prescribed texts I discuss. I like Frankenstein but my analysis of it is limited and I',m more interested in the other two. But honestly, any advice helps!! Thank you sooo much  :)
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:55 am »
+2
Hey, I'm doing the texts frankenstein, coleridge's poems and bright star. What related texts would you reccommend for this?

I'm a really big fan of Keats' work and wanted to use something like Adonais or Ode to a Nightingale as a related, but I'm ready to be pragmatic and use whatever will help my essay and effectively connect all the romantic ways of thinking etc.

I'm leaning towards using coleridge and bright star (if I can) for the prescribed texts I discuss. I like Frankenstein but my analysis of it is limited and I',m more interested in the other two. But honestly, any advice helps!! Thank you sooo much  :)

Hey there!
If you're going to use Bright Star as your prescribed, I would perhaps be choosing a poem by someone other than Keats. Otherwise, you're limiting yourself to his own worldview, rather than looking at the ways of thinking shared between various composers. Perhaps you could use an older poet, say William Blake, so contrast between poets of 1st Generation and 2nd Generation Romanticism.
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 08:00:29 pm »
Okay thank you!

Would you recommend any specific texts? :D
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 07:28:42 pm »
+2
Okay thank you!

Would you recommend any specific texts? :D

Any of Blake from Songs of Innocence/Songs of Experience would work :)

AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

epherbertson

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2017, 10:06:55 pm »
Hi

I was just reading the forums and are now concerned that my ORT's are two general and over used. I am using the prescribed texts of frankenstein and Coleridge's Frost at Midnight and Kubla Khan. One of my ORT's so far is Ozymandias by Percy Bysche Shelley but now I am concerned on whether this poem is to basic to develop strong conceptual links to romanticism. My teacher has also asked for me to have an artwork as an ORT but i have no idea which one to choose that is not so popular that is overused or repeats the same paradigm ideas prevalent through my prescribed texts. Any suggestions for ORT's would be fantastic.

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 07:12:35 pm »
Assessment coming up in a few weeks on Frankenstein and One ORT of our Choice
(Can't be the ones we've already studied and I did Ode To A Skylark & Withering Heights)

This is the question:
The individual’s pursuit of truth was inextricably linked to the natural world during the Romantic period.
Evaluate to what extent this statement reflects the perspective in your core text and one related text.

I honestly don't understand at all how to link this to Frankenstein and what insights I should use please help!!

(Also what is a good Romantic text that discusses this ideal in depth)

Heaps of advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 08:49:58 pm »
+3
Hi

I was just reading the forums and are now concerned that my ORT's are two general and over used. I am using the prescribed texts of frankenstein and Coleridge's Frost at Midnight and Kubla Khan. One of my ORT's so far is Ozymandias by Percy Bysche Shelley but now I am concerned on whether this poem is to basic to develop strong conceptual links to romanticism. My teacher has also asked for me to have an artwork as an ORT but i have no idea which one to choose that is not so popular that is overused or repeats the same paradigm ideas prevalent through my prescribed texts. Any suggestions for ORT's would be fantastic.

Hey there! I have not heard of that poem being used before, so I wouldn't be too concerned regarding it being overused. As for visual artists, the only artist that I (very) briefly studied during my HSC was John Clare. However, I would only suggest you pick a visual artist if you feel confident in analysing this medium. If you cannot talk about it accurately, pick a text you're more familiar with. In the end, the markers aren't going to give you marks for having some obscure ORT that you cannot analyse properly. Pick what works for you :)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 08:56:52 pm »
+2
Assessment coming up in a few weeks on Frankenstein and One ORT of our Choice
(Can't be the ones we've already studied and I did Ode To A Skylark & Withering Heights)

This is the question:
The individual’s pursuit of truth was inextricably linked to the natural world during the Romantic period.
Evaluate to what extent this statement reflects the perspective in your core text and one related text.

I honestly don't understand at all how to link this to Frankenstein and what insights I should use please help!!

(Also what is a good Romantic text that discusses this ideal in depth)

Heaps of advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

So, the natural world doesn't literally have to be nature/the landscape. Though this understanding of nature was undeniably important to the period, it was also defined in different ways. 'Natural world', as I understand it, can also be the 'natural' predispositions of human kind. For example, Romantics rejected the concept of the city, as they believed it commoditised an individual. They also rejected the absolutes of scientific thought - as it tried to reduce nature to its bare bones, without really explaining the mystical, spiritual and creative. Frankenstein represents this most obviously through the creation of the monster. These are some initial suggestions that may help you to think about the 'natural world' differently :)

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2017, 06:50:46 pm »
Thank you that's so helpful !!

Do you know of any suitable ORT's that reference to similar themes surrounding the ideology of truth that relate to Frankenstein??

Cheers
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
+3
Thank you that's so helpful !!

Do you know of any suitable ORT's that reference to similar themes surrounding the ideology of truth that relate to Frankenstein??

Cheers

Perhaps Hazlitt's essays? These are what I used for ORTs. 'My Last Duchess' by Browning is also very good.

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2017, 08:14:01 am »
Thanks for those propositions.

Ive chosen to go with Hazlitt Essays.

Could you perhaps help in assisting me to develop an insight from this text that I could discuss, truth and its inextricable link to nature.

Thank you!
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2017, 10:29:51 am »
+1
Hi there!

I would love some advice on essay structures which I've been considering in preparation for trials - I usually do integrated essays and have been a bit flustered trying to work out how to compare my 5 texts in an essay - My prescribed texts are Coleridge poems and Frankenstein, and my RTs are William Turner's painting Fishermen at Sea and Lord Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage.

I don't like fully memorising essays, but I intend to have an organised structure planned something like this;
Thesis: (roughly) Romanticism and ways of interpreting man's relationship with nature --> ways of thinking about the individual's role in society.
Main idea one: The Sublime (ideas about nature's dominance over man)
Arguments
- Coleridge poems (1+2)
- Turner painting
- Frankenstein
- Byron poem
Main idea 2: Pantheistic philosophy (individual's spiritual + imaginative experiences in nature --> isolation, religious ideas, rejection of industrialisation etc)
3. individual's spiritual + imaginative experiences in nature (isolation + religious ideas)
- Coleridge poems
- Turner painting briefly (Is it necessary to mention the text again?)
4. rejection of industrialisation + science
- Frankenstein
- Byron poem

I'm concerned that this thesis idea is too specific to prepare for all kinds of question - do you think I could mould this kind of essay to any part of the syllabus? I am attempting to build an unique standpoint, grounded in context, since a lot of teachers stress this for extension. I really want a set structure at least because integrating all this is confusing and I don't want to get muddled in exam conditions.

Obviously with Frankenstein there is more scope for ideas about the human condition, how do I think I could adjust this into a similar essay structure? Ie. could this fit into a rejection of science and in turn relate to Romantic attitudes towards nature?

Also in terms of word count - If I keep my creative short enough to finish in 40-50 mins do you think 1500 words is a reasonable goal for the essay? (I usually do about 1200 in 45 mins)

Is it necessary that I swap the related texts in the last two to be more comparative? (ie. Coleridge + Byron, Frankenstein + painting) I however don't have a strong analysis for this.

One more thing - how many critical references did you integrate in exam conditions? And is it ever appropriate to put one in the introduction? E.g if you are talking about Pantheism and want to substantiate context.

Sorry for all my rambling - I overthink a lot!!
Thank you so much  ;D

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2017, 12:10:26 pm »
+2
Hi there!

I would love some advice on essay structures which I've been considering in preparation for trials - I usually do integrated essays and have been a bit flustered trying to work out how to compare my 5 texts in an essay - My prescribed texts are Coleridge poems and Frankenstein, and my RTs are William Turner's painting Fishermen at Sea and Lord Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage.

I don't like fully memorising essays, but I intend to have an organised structure planned something like this;
Thesis: (roughly) Romanticism and ways of interpreting man's relationship with nature --> ways of thinking about the individual's role in society.
Main idea one: The Sublime (ideas about nature's dominance over man)
Arguments
- Coleridge poems (1+2)
- Turner painting
- Frankenstein
- Byron poem
Main idea 2: Pantheistic philosophy (individual's spiritual + imaginative experiences in nature --> isolation, religious ideas, rejection of industrialisation etc)
3. individual's spiritual + imaginative experiences in nature (isolation + religious ideas)
- Coleridge poems
- Turner painting briefly (Is it necessary to mention the text again?)
4. rejection of industrialisation + science
- Frankenstein
- Byron poem

I'm concerned that this thesis idea is too specific to prepare for all kinds of question - do you think I could mould this kind of essay to any part of the syllabus? I am attempting to build an unique standpoint, grounded in context, since a lot of teachers stress this for extension. I really want a set structure at least because integrating all this is confusing and I don't want to get muddled in exam conditions.

Obviously with Frankenstein there is more scope for ideas about the human condition, how do I think I could adjust this into a similar essay structure? Ie. could this fit into a rejection of science and in turn relate to Romantic attitudes towards nature?

Also in terms of word count - If I keep my creative short enough to finish in 40-50 mins do you think 1500 words is a reasonable goal for the essay? (I usually do about 1200 in 45 mins)

Is it necessary that I swap the related texts in the last two to be more comparative? (ie. Coleridge + Byron, Frankenstein + painting) I however don't have a strong analysis for this.

One more thing - how many critical references did you integrate in exam conditions? And is it ever appropriate to put one in the introduction? E.g if you are talking about Pantheism and want to substantiate context.

Sorry for all my rambling - I overthink a lot!!
Thank you so much  ;D

Hey there!
This thesis is pretty specific, but most questions around Romanticism revolve around the idea of the natural and divine. So, you should be able to adapt it. If you can't, you can always change your thesis on the spot and keep the paragraphs you'e already prepared. This is generally the approach I took when it came to study for Romanticism. You are also better of swapping the ORTs. This will mean you're debating ideas, rather than strictly textual narrative. As for the word limit, that is a reasonable expectation, and is what most teachers will expect in the marking centre

eyw00400

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2017, 01:32:14 pm »
+1
Hi!

I was wondering where I could get a hold of some essay questions for this elective? Or if anyone could share their essay questions? My trials have just started and I've only written one practise essay so I'm like ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHhhhhHHhh.

Yep. Thanks in advanced!

I should probably drop the ones my school had to maybe start a bank of essay questions.

While the power of the imagination may seem to provide an escape from the world for composers of this era, at the heart of all these texts remains the exploration of how individuals deal with moral or personal choices. To what extent does this view reflect your experiences of Romanticism?
The most memorable texts from this period are carefully crafted works focused on the individual’s personal experiences of discovery. To what extent is this statement true for the texts you’ve studied?

You could use past HSC questions as well.
Here are some of them:
-Texts in this module are related to a particular historical period, and the diverse perspectives they offer are significant to an understanding of the ways of thinking during that period.
To what extent does this statement reflect your study of this module?

-Romanticism: a time to heighten the divisions between old and new by privileging new expressions of individualism.
To what extent does this statement hold true for two of your prescribed texts and two texts of your own choosing?

-Write an essay in which you explore the interplay of imagination and the human experience in Romanticsm

-Significant texts in any period arise from particular ways of thinking and posses an enduring relevance.
Write an essay in which you explore the extent to which this is true of the texts you have studied in your elective

-In Romanticism, composers not only transform the human experience through imagination but also manipulate textual forms and features in response to their times.
Evaluate this statement with reference to 2 prescribed texts and texts of your own choosing.