Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 11:52:21 pm

Author Topic: Janson's Textbook Thread  (Read 3801 times)  Share 

Chazef

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School: MLMC
Janson's Textbook Thread
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:00:10 pm »
Alright I just wanted to make this thread to get some ideas on what you think of the standard textbook for softdev (and I'm assuming it's the only textbook) by Adrian Janson. I'm up to chapter 3 and I'm not looking forward to reading 28 pages of text in order to answer the questions at the end. It would really help motivate me if someone could assure me that the textbook is actually useful and isn't bloated with useless crap. I'm just skeptical because I had a similar experience last year with a legal textbook that ended up being very irrelevant and luckily I was able to catch on and look for other sources of information. I really don't like Janson's use of broad sentences like ' developers might like to use this method, or they may choose not to' (or something like that), because half the time I feel like he's just trying to make the textbook thicker than it needs to be.

So, should I be treating this book like a bible? Or take a more open approach? Or simply ditch the book and use something like VCEIT.com?
2012: legal studies [41]
2013: physics [47], chemistry [45], englang [40], softdev [43], methods [44]
ATAR: 99.20
Computer Science @ Monash

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
Re: Janson's Textbook Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:10:58 pm »
Yeah it's the only textbook. I took one flick through the book and decided that I wasn't going to buy it.

I don't want to completely disregard the book though, I did borrow the book from others time to time in class, and the stuff it has on data flow diagrams is decent and well organised (the reference material parts of the book really). The questions in the book are pretty poor, I thought they were a waste of time. They're just the type of questions that are designed to make sure you read the book.

So yeah I think just take a more open approach, when you're looking at a particular topic, open the book, check if it has anything good on it or not.

Otherwise VCEIT.com, google and thinking about the concepts yourself is the way to go. Wikipedia has an excellent coverage of some of the concepts too. For the more programming oriented stuff, the internet and having a go at it yourself provides better coverage than the book anyway.

Chazef

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School: MLMC
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »
thanks for the advice :) I really hope I find a good study method, because it seems like softdev is one of those subjects where you can think you're learning the right stuff and actually be way-off the intended course material. Hope that my teacher at least has a good idea of what we're supposed to be doing, because if not, I am going to struggle.
2012: legal studies [41]
2013: physics [47], chemistry [45], englang [40], softdev [43], methods [44]
ATAR: 99.20
Computer Science @ Monash

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:06 pm »
+1
Janson's text is fairly average. However, there are still some useful ideas explored throughout. Janson's no-nonsense approach saves you from having to dissect each page and figure out what's relevant. Nearly everything is relevant in his textbook -  the content just lacks depth. Use it as a supplementary resource in addition to Mark Kelly's website (VCEIT.com) + google. 

thanks for the advice :) I really hope I find a good study method, because it seems like softdev is one of those subjects where you can think you're learning the right stuff and actually be way-off the intended course material. Hope that my teacher at least has a good idea of what we're supposed to be doing, because if not, I am going to struggle.

If at any time you need some help, feel free to post your queries here :D
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

xlaiyn

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School: RMIT University
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:25 am »
I'm not very happy with the text. We were made to buy it, and I'm 5 chapters ahead of my class. It's so tediously repetitive, and like someone already said, the questions are crappy. Apparently there are similar texts, but not proper 3/4 ones. I'm thinking I'll gather a collection of notes and make up my own "textbook" type thing according to the VCAA study design.

Because hey, VCAA's study design is the equivalent to a bible. Except I'm not religious at all. Yep.
2013: Software Development @ CRC
2014: Literature | Psychology | Biology | Media | Further Math @ RMIT
2015 - 2017: Bachelor of Emergency Health (Paramedic) @ Monash University

jansona

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:09:48 pm »
+4
Hi everyone,

The feedback is great - and I do respect everything that you have said.  I might just say a couple of things...

The textbook was written to encapsulate the entire course.  My aim was to make the text definitive in that sense - and I believe it is.  You could just read the text cover to cover and this would prepare you for the exam - although if it were the only resource that you used and if you didn't do any practice exams, that would be pretty silly.  In any case, the text contains what is in the SD study design - 100%.  So I do take the point that some of you make about it being surface without depth - but that is dictated by the study design.  Talk to any of the students in my class (and I do teach SD myself), and they will tell you that I talk at length about lots of stuff (and sometimes go quite deep).  However, the duty that I have to you (those that use my text) is to deliver to you the content of the course - and nothing else.  If I did fill the text with lots of extra (cool) stuff, which frankly I would love to do, then it could be argued that that wouldn't be the best thing for you in the long run as it would be confusing to work out what was in the course and what wasn't.

Some of you also feel that the text is boring (in whole or part).  Well again, the text is based 100% on the study design and frankly, there are parts of the study design that are very dry and boring! 

I do take your point about the questions - yes, they are simply designed to 'force' you to read the chapter.  They could be better for sure.

Cheers,
Adrian Janson

xlaiyn

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:12:50 pm »
Hi everyone,

The feedback is great - and I do respect everything that you have said.  I might just say a couple of things...

The textbook was written to encapsulate the entire course.  My aim was to make the text definitive in that sense - and I believe it is.  You could just read the text cover to cover and this would prepare you for the exam - although if it were the only resource that you used and if you didn't do any practice exams, that would be pretty silly.  In any case, the text contains what is in the SD study design - 100%.  So I do take the point that some of you make about it being surface without depth - but that is dictated by the study design.  Talk to any of the students in my class (and I do teach SD myself), and they will tell you that I talk at length about lots of stuff (and sometimes go quite deep).  However, the duty that I have to you (those that use my text) is to deliver to you the content of the course - and nothing else.  If I did fill the text with lots of extra (cool) stuff, which frankly I would love to do, then it could be argued that that wouldn't be the best thing for you in the long run as it would be confusing to work out what was in the course and what wasn't.

Some of you also feel that the text is boring (in whole or part).  Well again, the text is based 100% on the study design and frankly, there are parts of the study design that are very dry and boring! 

I do take your point about the questions - yes, they are simply designed to 'force' you to read the chapter.  They could be better for sure.

Cheers,
Adrian Janson

I agree with you, Adrian. The course is a tad dry. :P
I love the interactive bits on the iPad version though.

no steez

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • p g
  • Respect: -2
  • School: Frankston Tafe
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:10:18 pm »
Hi everyone,

Cheers,
Adrian Janson
Did you write your last textbook with David Dawson?
2013:

jansona

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
Yes - "Essential Software Development"

aandrekun

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Narre Warren South P-12 College
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:36 am »
i'm annoyed, they emailed me and said I'll be receiving the textbook in late feb and still haven't received it nether has anyone in the class
2013: IT: Application, IT: Software Development, Further Mathematics, English
ATAR goal: 80+

xlaiyn

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:53:17 pm »
i'm annoyed, they emailed me and said I'll be receiving the textbook in late feb and still haven't received it nether has anyone in the class

Our teacher told us that they were held up in Asia while being printed, but apparently should be here soon. *le sigh*

jansona

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 05:26:05 pm »
+1
The texts arrived on Friday and I was able to get some to the post office before the close of business.  The rest were packaged and sent off on Monday.  You have them by mid-week.

The texts were printed in Asia - and this was done early December.  They were due to arrive mid-January, which would have given me ample time to ship them to schools / students before the start of Term.  However, there were complications with the ship / shipping container beyond my control.  I guess these things happen but it is very frustrating!  That was why I sent out the three chapter previews - both to those that ordered individually as well as to all SD teachers.

Anyway, hope the texts arrive in your hands today or tomorrow!
Adrian

aandrekun

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Narre Warren South P-12 College
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 09:47:33 pm »
My textbook just arrived today and my sac is tomorrow. GG
2013: IT: Application, IT: Software Development, Further Mathematics, English
ATAR goal: 80+

no steez

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • p g
  • Respect: -2
  • School: Frankston Tafe
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 07:39:23 am »
My textbook just arrived today and my sac is tomorrow. GG
Mine hasn't arrived as well. I've needed it badly as well.
Can we apply for compensation or a refund?
2013:

Yendall

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:28 am »
Between the textbook and VCEIT.com there is plenty to aid you throughout the year. The course and exam can be highly ambiguous, so always know that your questions are welcome here! Ask as many as you need, we are here to help :)
2013 - 2016: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT
2017 - 2018: Master of Data Science @ RMIT
ΟΟΟΟ
VCE '12: | English | I.T: Applications | I.T: Software Development | Music Performance Solo |  Further Mathematics | Studio Arts |