Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:54:22 pm

Author Topic: Choosing Artworks (Essay)  (Read 3682 times)  Share 

_Himani_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Choosing Artworks (Essay)
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:44:19 pm »
Hi everyone.
 I'm answering the question: "Contemporary art can provide a valuable yet unsettling critique of society. Discuss this statement, referring to specific artists and artworks in your answer."

I have chosen Lee Bul as one of my artists and I want to discuss her critique of the notions of utopia using "After Bruno Taut: Beware the Sweetness of things"(2207) and one other piece. My teacher has said before that it is best to choose artworks from different stages in an artist's career so I want to use one of her early performance works (e.g. "Cravings"(1989) or "Sorry for suffering-you think I'm a puppy on a picnic?"(1990) Outdoor performances) and my second artwork.
I'm struggling to link these works to the idea of utopia. I've considered somehow tying them to the artist's context growing up in a South Koren military town, but I'm completely lost on how.
Please help!

PS: with my other two artists, Patricia Piccinini and Stelarc, I'm talking about how they comment on technological intervention (Piccinini focusing on the relationship between humans and technology and Stelarc exploring the impact upon humanity) and so I tried to stay away from Lee Bul's Cyborg series to avoid making my essay sound repetitive.