Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:11:01 am

Author Topic: Standard Math Q+A Thread  (Read 182560 times)  Share 

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #570 on: February 05, 2018, 08:16:38 pm »
Hey, is there a way to calculate the interquartile range without writing/ordering every single number on paper? Like, say there were 200 numbers, is there a proper formula for this?

Hey!

If you didn't want to calculate the IQR by hand, you can just pop the numbers on the calculator (if you have the scientific one) and it will calculate the IQR for you!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #571 on: March 09, 2018, 01:14:06 am »
Now that the website is back online...Yes. Keep in mind that maths is different to every other subject in that the preliminary course is EXAMINABLE. Up to 20% of the final exams are allowed to include content taught in the preliminary course.

Anything goes in maths. All of it is in play.

I NEVER KNEW THIS. I dropped to general at the start of year 12, and I guess now I’m just realising the immense workload I must catch up with - that is, all the prelim content I never learnt. Why math gotta do peeps who drop down like this smh  :'(
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #572 on: March 09, 2018, 08:44:31 am »
I NEVER KNEW THIS. I dropped to general at the start of year 12, and I guess now I’m just realising the immense workload I must catch up with - that is, all the prelim content I never learnt. Why math gotta do peeps who drop down like this smh  :'(
It'll be ok, I did the same, and since the HSC content is mostly an extension of the prelim content you won't have to work too hard to catch up if you've got a solid understanding of the HSC content, which, from mathematics 2U I guess you do. A lot of it's pretty easy, the only things I remember having to distinctly go over because I didn't already know them from yr10 and below, is the yr11 case studies and some of the financial stuff, but other than that going over the whole course isn't super nessecary
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:05:39 am by Potatohater »
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

joemassoud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #573 on: March 09, 2018, 08:53:25 am »
Hey Guys,

If anyone could please explain this question and what exactly is a linear function is and how to identify one

Thanks in advance!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #574 on: March 09, 2018, 08:56:10 am »
Hey Guys,

If anyone could please explain this question and what exactly is a linear function is and how to identify one

Thanks in advance!

The linear function must take the form \(y=mx+b\), meaning only y’s and x’s appear. The only plausible option is B, which is \(y=-x+12\) rearranged.

A fails because of the \(\frac1x\), whih makes it a hyperbola
C fails because of the \(x^2\), which makes it a quadratic (parabola)
D fails because of the \(2^x\), which makes it an exponential
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:02:12 am by RuiAce »

joemassoud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #575 on: March 30, 2018, 04:24:07 pm »
Hey Guys,

I have my half yearly coming up next week and the topics being assessed are:

1. Loans and Annuities
2. Equations and Linear Functions
3. Further Applications of Area and Volume
4. Statistical Distributions

I have completed all my school's past papers and topic tests given by my teacher. If anyone can send me or let me know of any past paper resources or topic tests on the topics above that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #576 on: March 30, 2018, 09:14:45 pm »
Hey Guys,

1. Loans and Annuities

I have completed all my school's past papers and topic tests given by my teacher. If anyone can send me or let me know of any past paper resources or topic tests on the topics above that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Have you tried the HSC papers yet? You coul either sift through them manually looking for those topics or find a book that groups them together such as the checkpoints book
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #577 on: March 30, 2018, 11:59:19 pm »
Hey Guys,

1. Loans and Annuities

Thanks!

Only because you asked for a suggestion, the ATAR Notes Topic Tests would be worth a look! I personally think they are incredible, and everything is divided by topic to make things easy to study :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #578 on: March 31, 2018, 07:51:23 pm »

Omg I feel you on another level! I dropped from 2U in the last term of Year 11, which meant I had to sit the General Maths Yearly. I had to learn everything they had covered in the whole year, and it was hard at first because of all the work I had missed and some of the concepts I had never seen before so I was like wtf. But it does get easier after that, you'll be so sweet and there's no reason to stress.

I legit had my half yearly on Monday this week and I have no idea how but I finished with 55 minutes to spare. Don't worry I didn't just sit there, I went back over my paper and redid some questions where I found mistakes. ;D

Fingers crossed I actually did well!!
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #579 on: April 01, 2018, 09:55:40 am »
Hey, for this question, do I calculate the cumulative frequency based on the first 163 or the last one?
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #580 on: April 01, 2018, 10:09:48 am »
+1
Hey, for this question, do I calculate the cumulative frequency based on the first 163 or the last one?
The last.

The cumulative frequency is intended to be a running total of all the frequencies, so every instance of 163 must count as well. Therefore 10 is correct.

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #581 on: April 01, 2018, 01:45:41 pm »

I’m actually confused. How do you calculate the cumulative frequency from a stem and leaf plot?
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #582 on: April 01, 2018, 02:04:28 pm »

The last.

The cumulative frequency is intended to be a running total of all the frequencies, so every instance of 163 must count as well. Therefore 10 is correct.
Thankyou!!
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #583 on: April 01, 2018, 02:07:10 pm »
Okay, so this is the solution on the answers for a past trial paper I've been doing, but I swear to god it's wrong - or I'm just really stupid. Can someone please confirm? My answer is waaay off this, and I swear I haven't done anything wrong because I've gotten the same answer three times. I don't understand why they've minused the a and the b when the formula clearly states you're supposed to add them?

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #584 on: April 01, 2018, 02:18:57 pm »
Okay, so this is the solution on the answers for a past trial paper I've been doing, but I swear to god it's wrong - or I'm just really stupid. Can someone please confirm? My answer is waaay off this, and I swear I haven't done anything wrong because I've gotten the same answer three times. I don't understand why they've minused the a and the b when the formula clearly states you're supposed to add them?

Hey!

You need to plus the upper base and lower base of the trapezium, not minus them!

That has to be the wrong answer!