Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:24:18 am

Author Topic: Biomed vs Science for Medicine  (Read 2423 times)  Share 

YehNahBro

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Biomed vs Science for Medicine
« on: August 08, 2020, 03:30:31 pm »
+3
Hi all,
I'm currently a year 12 student who is completing their VTAC application. My ultimate dream is to medicine but i failed the UCAT this year so i'm choosing to an undergrad then med via gamsat.
I do think science is better because of its flexibility; however, some people are suggesting biomedicine due to its more defined structure of education and pathway. Despite the flexibility, I am leaning more towards biomedicine because i love biochem and anatomy (ik that you can take these courses in science too). Could anyone give me their perspective on this issue?
Which undergrad would maximise my chances of medicine? How hard is it to maintain a 6.0-6.5 GPA?

Thank you in advance <3  :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Biomed vs Science for Medicine
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 03:45:37 pm »
+7
Hi all,
I'm currently a year 12 student who is completing their VTAC application. My ultimate dream is to medicine but i failed the UCAT this year so i'm choosing to an undergrad then med via gamsat.
I do think science is better because of its flexibility; however, some people are suggesting biomedicine due to its more defined structure of education and pathway. Despite the flexibility, I am leaning more towards biomedicine because i love biochem and anatomy (ik that you can take these courses in science too). Could anyone give me their perspective on this issue?
Which undergrad would maximise my chances of medicine? How hard is it to maintain a 6.0-6.5 GPA?

Thank you in advance <3  :)
I would probably say science is easier to get a higher GPA in (science students may disagree :P). The reason being with flexibility comes the ability to have choose subjects that may be easier to score in. So it really depends on what subjects the science students choose.

You are correct in saying Biomed has a stronger defined structure. It also has a more "tight-knit cohort" so it is easier to form connections and friendships given all of you are completing 3-4 of the same subjects each semester. With science, the cohorts are much larger so it becomes a bit more tougher.

6.0-6.5 GPA the difficulty really depends on how much time you are putting in. It is definitely achievable, you are looking for scores that are 70+ for that sort of GPA.

YehNahBro

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 04:23:54 pm »
I would probably say science is easier to get a higher GPA in (science students may disagree :P). The reason being with flexibility comes the ability to have choose subjects that may be easier to score in. So it really depends on what subjects the science students choose.

You are correct in saying Biomed has a stronger defined structure. It also has a more "tight-knit cohort" so it is easier to form connections and friendships given all of you are completing 3-4 of the same subjects each semester. With science, the cohorts are much larger so it becomes a bit more tougher.

6.0-6.5 GPA the difficulty really depends on how much time you are putting in. It is definitely achievable, you are looking for scores that are 70+ for that sort of GPA.

Hi Sine,

Thanks so much for the advice and heads up. Really appreciate it. Is a 70+ hard? I'm willing to put in everything in uni for med haha so hopefully everything works out. Also, would you say biomed is really time consuming or stressful? Anyways, thanks again for the advice  :D

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »
+6
Hiya, as a second year in biomed ill give you some insight.
It is important to understand that both biomed and science are vigorous degrees, and saying "biomed is harder than science" is not entirely true.
The pros for science is; yes alot more flexibility, and thus picking subjects that you can do fairly well in will be your advantage, however it is a larger cohort so you may (at least in 1 year) not be around ppl with the same ambitions as you.
In contrast, biomed in your first year you will have six compulsory subjects in your first year, (which only leaves you 2 breadths), the biomed subjects are more intensive than science; i.e. biomed has chem for biomed in 1 sem whereas science will have chem 1 and chem 2 (which they do in a year, although science students can do the biomed version if they want) and the same is applied in physics (however we focus more on biophysics), they try to shove all the content into a semester, whereas science you will get to do the content in a year.
However, the biomed cohort is smaller and therefore you will be able to make friendships and networks more easily.
Since med ha removed prerequisites you do not necessarily need to do biomed, however, your second-year core subjects are rich in content (and although challenging) will provide you a more integrated understanding of your knowledge of the human body, which science does not get to experience.
As for 70+ results, it depends on a subject but typically a 75 is a very high (and credible) mark, so as long as you work hard a 70+ is doable, and even if you trip up in your first year, your second and third year are worth more in your gpa calculation so you can redeem yourself as you become a better uni student. This is the case for both biomed and science.
I think its fair to say biomed is tougher but defs rewarding.
When it comes to deciding its important to know you can always transfer if you don't like ur first course, we had plenty of science students transfer into biomed midsemester and vica versa.
So I can't tell you which degree to choose, because both are great and will provide you an equal chance into getting into post grad medicine. I would encourage you to do your own research in the beneifts of each course and consult your career counsellor.
Personally, although biomed is challenging I have no regrets and have been enjoying it (but the same can be said for science) either way both are great!
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 05:20:22 pm »
+1
Hi Sine,

Thanks so much for the advice and heads up. Really appreciate it. Is a 70+ hard? I'm willing to put in everything in uni for med haha so hopefully everything works out. Also, would you say biomed is really time consuming or stressful? Anyways, thanks again for the advice  :D
can't really say whether 70 is hard/easy it would depend on the student but imo it is definitely achievable with some effort put in. However, for med it is likely 6.0-6.5 would be towards the lower end of GPAs. Ideally, you would want something like 6.5-7.0 with most people being 6.7+.

YehNahBro

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 05:22:39 pm »
Hiya, as a second year in biomed ill give you some insight.
It is important to understand that both biomed and science are vigorous degrees, and saying "biomed is harder than science" is not entirely true.
The pros for science is; yes alot more flexibility, and thus picking subjects that you can do fairly well in will be your advantage, however it is a larger cohort so you may (at least in 1 year) not be around ppl with the same ambitions as you.
In contrast, biomed in your first year you will have six compulsory subjects in your first year, (which only leaves you 2 breadths), the biomed subjects are more intensive than science; i.e. biomed has chem for biomed in 1 sem whereas science will have chem 1 and chem 2 (which they do in a year, although science students can do the biomed version if they want) and the same is applied in physics (however we focus more on biophysics), they try to shove all the content into a semester, whereas science you will get to do the content in a year.
However, the biomed cohort is smaller and therefore you will be able to make friendships and networks more easily.
Since med ha removed prerequisites you do not necessarily need to do biomed, however, your second-year core subjects are rich in content (and although challenging) will provide you a more integrated understanding of your knowledge of the human body, which science does not get to experience.
As for 70+ results, it depends on a subject but typically a 75 is a very high (and credible) mark, so as long as you work hard a 70+ is doable, and even if you trip up in your first year, your second and third year are worth more in your gpa calculation so you can redeem yourself as you become a better uni student. This is the case for both biomed and science.
I think its fair to say biomed is tougher but defs rewarding.
When it comes to deciding its important to know you can always transfer if you don't like ur first course, we had plenty of science students transfer into biomed midsemester and vica versa.
So I can't tell you which degree to choose, because both are great and will provide you an equal chance into getting into post grad medicine. I would encourage you to do your own research in the beneifts of each course and consult your career counsellor.
Personally, although biomed is challenging I have no regrets and have been enjoying it (but the same can be said for science) either way both are great!

Hi tiredandstressed,

Thanks so much for the insightful perspective on biomedicine. The in-depth study and investigation of biochem and biophysics is one of the core reasons why i want to pursue biomed. Regardless, it is also good to hear that it is easier/better to network in biomed compared to sci due to the smaller cohort. Thank you again for your perspective as a biomed second year. I really appreciate this!!! Anyways, are you also trying for medicine or are u pursuing a career in biomed? :D

can't really say whether 70 is hard/easy it would depend on the student but imo it is definitely achievable with some effort put in. However, for med it is likely 6.0-6.5 would be towards the lower end of GPAs. Ideally, you would want something like 6.5-7.0 with most people being 6.7+.

Thanks for the advice. Would you say i would need to put in as much effort as vce to obtain ~6.7 GPA? Just not too sure how hard a ~6.7 GPA is and would like some perspective on it. Nonetheless, thank you again <3

MOD EDIT: merged double post
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:30:44 pm by Sine »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 05:29:59 pm »
+3
Thanks for the advice. Would you say i would need to put in as much effort as vce to obtain ~6.7 GPA? Just not too sure how hard a ~6.7 GPA is and would like some perspective on it. Nonetheless, thank you again <3
Can't say, everyone's highschool-> university transition is different. Also, don't think it is wise or useful to think about how much effort you put in you should just try to put your best effort regardless.

At unimelb 6.7 GPA roughly translates to half of your scores being 80+ and half of your scores between 75-79.

YehNahBro

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 07:50:52 pm »
Can't say, everyone's highschool-> university transition is different. Also, don't think it is wise or useful to think about how much effort you put in you should just try to put your best effort regardless.

At unimelb 6.7 GPA roughly translates to half of your scores being 80+ and half of your scores between 75-79.

Well said Sine. I think that's invaluable advice. Will try my best in uni. Thanks so much for the insight! <3