Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 08:16:15 pm

Author Topic: Worried about uni  (Read 2346 times)  Share 

CH3ezEC4KE

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Berwick
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Worried about uni
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »
I'm stressing about uni already, especially after reading about hearings and warnings and those things. Is it hard to fail subjects or units at uni? How do you structure uni essays?
2012-Legal Studies-(41), Business Management-(42)
2013-2017- BBus (Management)/BBus (Marketing)

2014- Monash University Elite Athlete Program/Monash Sport Scholarship Recipient

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
Re: Worried about uni
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:43:52 pm »
+2
You'll find uni to be much more casual than school. e.g no one is going to force you to go to classes/lectures, hand in assignments etc.

If you do the bare minimum of showing up to lectures and tutes or just keeping on top of your work, you probably won't fail, and will do quite well (Credit/Distinction). Some subjects are insanely easy to do well in the exams, like they are open book, or you can take your lecture notes in, or in some instances you have a good idea of what the questions will be on the exam prior to it.

I'm not going to say uni is a breeze, because people do fail, but it's definitely not something to worry about. Just do NOT get cocky at all..
For example my lowest score so far
VCE Accounting: 43
Uni accounting first sem: average of 54% = Pass
This wasbecause the first 6 weeks of uni accounting (AFC1000) were the unit 3/4 course so I didn't take any notes in lectures (just talked or dicked around) and i didn't go to the tutes..
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +90
  • School: Camberwell High School
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:47:52 pm »
+2
Most of the people that fails uni subjects are those that goes: "I'm gonna fail this unit anyway, fuck it I won't bother trying at all", when it's still swotvac and cramming to pass is still possible. As long as you believe in yourself and put in some effort, passing uni shouldn't be too hard.

That said there's a couple of subjects that are harder than the rest and require more effort but still passable nonetheless.
Monash B.Aero Eng/Sci Discontinued in Sem2 2012 [2011-2015]

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates
^ SNORLAX, I chooosee You!!!

#1procrastinator

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
+4
stop panicking. it's like when you were in primary school and you heard all the stories about how tough high school would be. but i think the warnings have to do with the fact that you're responsible for your own learning in uni and there arent teachers who push you.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:23:24 am »
+2
Remember: If it weren't for cramming, most uni students would fail every unit, every semester.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:02 am »
+5
If you attend every tute (not even asking you to attend lectures) and pay attention, prepare adequately, and maintain a positive attitude, I can pretty much guarantee you will pass any subject you do :)

It's just staying positive and actually doing the work. People who fail, generally speaking, didn't work or gave up at some stage. That's not to say that there are some cases where external factors may cause significant detriment to study, but in reality most people who fail don't have a great excuse for doing so.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:34:10 am »
+2
The only people who fail uni are those who treat it like a holiday after VCE. If you're willing to learn and commit yourself to your classes, you can't really fail anything in first year. And it only takes one semester to get used to the uni lifestyle.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

kiraxxx

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Every Spring signals a new beginning
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 06:47:24 pm »
+3
Uni is actually kinda fun. People probably won't admit it, but I really like it.
There's lots of activities going on, and club events, so if you aren't studying, be sure to take part in those.

As for failing units...it depends what course you're doing, and the difficulty of those units. For me, Arts and Commerce is pretty breezy, and is pretty hard to fail in.

Essays in uni are slightly different from yr 12 english. First, you got to get use to the referencing (trust me, I really did not get he hang of it, til like 6 weeks later haha)

Good luck : )
Photographer
Fantasy writer
Lover of nature & food
Focus Sport & ST fanatic
Wanderlust

CH3ezEC4KE

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: Berwick
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:00 pm »
Uni is actually kinda fun. People probably won't admit it, but I really like it.
There's lots of activities going on, and club events, so if you aren't studying, be sure to take part in those.

As for failing units...it depends what course you're doing, and the difficulty of those units. For me, Arts and Commerce is pretty breezy, and is pretty hard to fail in.

Essays in uni are slightly different from yr 12 english. First, you got to get use to the referencing (trust me, I really did not get he hang of it, til like 6 weeks later haha)

Good luck : )

Wow, suddenly it sounds more fun haha.
2012-Legal Studies-(41), Business Management-(42)
2013-2017- BBus (Management)/BBus (Marketing)

2014- Monash University Elite Athlete Program/Monash Sport Scholarship Recipient

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:35:41 am »
If you attend every tute (not even asking you to attend lectures) and pay attention, prepare adequately, and maintain a positive attitude, I can pretty much guarantee you will pass any subject you do :)

It's just staying positive and actually doing the work. People who fail, generally speaking, didn't work or gave up at some stage. That's not to say that there are some cases where external factors may cause significant detriment to study, but in reality most people who fail don't have a great excuse for doing so.
you didn't go to any tutes or lectures
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 12:47:17 am »
+2
you didn't go to any tutes or lectures

I am a terrible role model.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +90
  • School: Camberwell High School
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:05:33 am »
+2
Wow, suddenly it sounds more fun haha.

Yeah alot of people complain about uni but I believe it's going to e one the best period of my life and the last two years was definitely good and getting better as your contacts grow wider.

After experiencing full time work as an intern, I would never ever complain about uni again. Many people only realize how fun uni was after they left an never fully appreciated it.
Monash B.Aero Eng/Sci Discontinued in Sem2 2012 [2011-2015]

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates
^ SNORLAX, I chooosee You!!!

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:00 pm »
+1
After experiencing full time work as an intern, I would never ever complain about uni again. Many people only realize how fun uni was after they left an never fully appreciated it.

Agreed! I'm really looking forward to my last year of uni all the more after having interned this summer.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 01:32:51 am »
+2
I'm stressing about uni already, especially after reading about hearings and warnings and those things. Is it hard to fail subjects or units at uni? How do you structure uni essays?

It's easy to fail but not in the way you might think it is.

Objectively, most subjects aren't *that* hard. Anyone with the general intelligence of a 20 year old and the ability and work ethic to get into monash in the first place wont find them that hard.

The problem is a lot of people drop the ball come uni. A fair few drop it really hard.

As mentioned by others, absolutely no one will hold your hand. Even in first year.

No one will chase you up on work. If the deadline passes, no one will contact you about it (usually).

You can hand in things late. This becomes really easy to do when you're actually able to do it. With highschool, if something was late, you'd get in the shit. With uni, its a fairly standardised procedure, they're used to it. If its late for a day you get 5 or 10% off. Late for another day? 2-10% off again. Etc.

Honestly, it really does become easy. I do it all the time, i really shouldn't but i do. When you realise you're able to hand it in another day, rather than the deadline, you do. Sometimes its entirely right and justifiable to do it. Say you got a massive work load or 4 assignments due in a week, 3 of them worth heaps and one worth very little, its ok to put off the little one.

Likewise, it becomes easy to just not hand in shit at all sometimes. You have pieces worth anywhere from 5-40% of your mark in most subjects.

It's not half the battle, i'd say its 3/4ths of the battle. Just getting shit done and on time. Keeping up. It's ok to skip lectures if you generally stay ontop of it. I've been in situations and i've seen plenty of others who are in a mad rush to listen to 30 lectures and learn it all the first time the week before the exam. If you generally stay on top of everything and have no other stuff going on, there's no reason to fail really.

Essays are the same as in highschool (i think...didnt do VCE english). I'm a science student who didn't do VCE english (did English Language) and i've HD'ed a few of my philosophy essays. If i can do it im sure you can pull it off.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:47:10 am by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research