Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 07:36:06 pm

Author Topic: Creative Writing Help  (Read 1318 times)

Evil.Morty

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Creative Writing Help
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:52:01 pm »
Hi all,

So basically I was just wondering if I would lose marks for shifting between third person to first person in my creative.

I begin my story in third-person describing a solidier and his surroundings. Then I switch to a first-person perspective of the soldier depicting his inner thoughts and experiences. So i'm just wondering if I would lose marks.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Creative Writing Help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
Hi all,

So basically I was just wondering if I would lose marks for shifting between third person to first person in my creative.

I begin my story in third-person describing a solidier and his surroundings. Then I switch to a first-person perspective of the soldier depicting his inner thoughts and experiences. So i'm just wondering if I would lose marks.
I think if you did this you definatley have to have a clear indication as to where the perspective shifts such as 3 asterisks between paragraphs or something, so they know it's done purposefully and not due to a lack of skill
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:36:37 pm by Potatohater »
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Evil.Morty

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:12:27 pm »
I think if you did this you definatley have to have a clear indication as to where the perspective shifts such as 3 asterisks between paragraphs or something, so they know it's done purposefully and not due to a lack of skill

Do you feel I would lose marks by not having a consistent perspective?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:32:01 pm »
Do you feel I would lose marks by not having a consistent perspective?

I don't think so, provided it is not confusing to the reader and serves a purpose! ;D

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »
I don't think so, provided it is not confusing to the reader and serves a purpose! ;D

Will add my cent to this! Actually, funnily enough, one of my teachers recommended we try structures like this during the break as it'll develop our control of language. since it shows more depth and a highly skilful control of language if done well, I think I'll actually benefit your sophistication and creative writing.

As others have commented, make sure it's obvious. Even if it's something seemingly simple like  changing POV :)