Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:10:53 pm

Author Topic: Access Melbourne / Monash Guarantee  (Read 1802 times)  Share 

Molllllli00

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Access Melbourne / Monash Guarantee
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:20:00 am »
Hi guys.

Feeling gutted.

Wondering is it even worth keeping my first and second preferences (Monash and Melbourne), after getting just below the access melbourne/monash guarantee atars for the courses?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Access Melbourne / Monash Guarantee
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:23:11 am »
+3
Absolutely still worth keeping them! You don't qualify for the guarantee if you got below the required ATAR however you can still apply as per normal and will have SEAS bonus points added onto your selection rank which could make you eligible in first (or subsequent) offer rounds. It's definitely worth putting some courses with lower entry requirement on your list too, but definitely still leave melbourne/monash at the top if that's what you're wanting to get into.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 11:25:16 am »
+2
Hi guys.

Feeling gutted.

Wondering is it even worth keeping my first and second preferences (Monash and Melbourne), after getting just below the access melbourne/monash guarantee atars for the courses?

Esit: beaten by PF

I would just keep it. You should be putting your preferences based on what you want to get offered NOT what you think you will get offered. You should also put a preference below these that you are quite confident in getting into to make sure you get an offer.

By keeping these preferences you still have the chance of getting an offer, if you dont get an offer they will continue down your pref list. If you dont put these courses on your list they wont even consider you for the course.

Hope this helps

Molllllli00

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 11:58:02 am »
Thanks guys!

How do the bonus points work?
I was hoping to do commerce at Melbourne which has an atar of 93 but 88 with access, since I got below the access atar, what are the chances they will bother to send me an offer?

- Feeling depressed :-\

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 12:03:17 pm »
+1
Thanks guys!

I was hoping to do commerce at Melbourne which has an atar of 93 but 88 with access, since I got below the access atar, what are the chances they will bother to send me an offer?

You get assigned a number of SEAS points depending on your level of disadvantage (you don't know how many they decide to give you) and then those bonus points get added to your ATAR and that number is your selection rank. Say for example they give out 200 offers in first round - they'll give them out to the top 200 selection ranks, not necessarily the top 200 ATARs. Your chances vary depending on your ATAR and what SEAS categories you applied for/level of disadvantage - I really couldn't give you any sort of accurate guess.

Regardless, leave it at the top of your list. Even if you don't get an offer in first round, generally people with lower selection ranks will get them in second round so you'll still have a chance.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:09:55 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 12:06:45 pm »
Adding on to the existing answers:
Thanks guys!

Aside from SEAS, there's also subject bonuses (also known as "middle band subjects").

Basically, if you did a subject that UoM Commerce thinks is kind of relevant to their course and you scored a certain raw SS or more then you'd get some more ATAR aggregate points added to your ATAR, effectively adjusting it. This adjusted ATAR becomes what they consider instead. More on subject bonuses here.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

dcassss

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:37:56 pm »
in regards to changing of preferences i originally did not have the university of Melbourne in my preferences however after receiving my atar i thought of putting them in there would my seas be seen by them? since the access Melbourne emails have already been sent out

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 10:56:13 pm »
in regards to changing of preferences i originally did not have the university of Melbourne in my preferences however after receiving my atar i thought of putting them in there would my seas be seen by them? since the access Melbourne emails have already been sent out
I’m not too sure about this. I would assume that this is something to ask the uni.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread