Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:46:19 am

Author Topic: Is Smith the best since Bradman?  (Read 3812 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Is Smith the best since Bradman?
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:40:43 pm »
+4
Discuss.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
Re: Is Smith the best since Bradman?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:47:08 pm »
+4
Firstly, you just can't reliably compare eras.  Full-stop.

Secondly, I'm assuming you're just talking about batsmen - otherwise arguably Garry Sobers was a better cricketer than either Bradman or Smith.  Even with the bat he was pretty awesome (my uncle still talks about his double century in Melbourne, which apparently Bradman himself called possibly the finest innings on Australian soil).  Similarly, Kallis would have a fair claim to cricketing greatness.

With those caveats aside, I'm sure I've mentioned a few times before that Smith made 1,000 Test runs in a calendar year at a 70+ average four years in a row, which is extremely impressive. He's made runs on a variety of different pitches in countries around the world, and has saved Australia more times than they deserve.  And even with a shortened year this year on current form he's more likely to make 1,000 runs than anyone else in the team.  I think it's reasonable to compare him with Bradman.

EDIT: Trivia - when I was on a tour of Lord's Cricket Ground a few years ago, they hurried us through the Long Room because it was busy being set up for Sobers' 80th birthday party...
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:09:23 pm »
+2
Nah, too early to come to this conclusion - although I've heard it a couple of times. Firstly I will assume we are only speaking test matches. So, for the question he would probably be the only active batsmen in the conversation - I think Williamson/Kohli/Pujara/Root would round out the top 5 active batsmen but would all would need a ridiculous purple patch across the next few years.

As turinturambar said the best cricketer since Bradman is Garfield Sobers. Although I think Bradman's batting is too good to be offset by the addition of Sobers bowling. Interestingly I believe Sobers averaged nearly 64 after 65 tests (the same number Smith has played). Along with that, you could include Kallis for obvious reasons. Also, I would add Imran Khan to this - In his last ten years of Test cricket (~50 Tests) he averaged 50 with the bat and 19 with the ball.

As for the best batsmen (you could again include Sobers/Kallis on batting alone and a number of others). As for those I have seen it would probably be Ponting/Lara/Sangakarra hopefully I am not forgetting anyone. The last few years of Ponting's career really hurt him optically, I think people forget he was averaging 59-60 after ~110 test matches and also mainly batted at number 3. As for Sangakarra - averaged 67 when he wasn't keeping (again nearly always batting at 3) and I don't think much needs to be said for Lara.

Ultimately, I think there is no point comparing active players against retired players and should wait until both have finished playing. Also, I know I included a few stats for context but at least for me stats is definitely not everything but the players impact on the game is.

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 09:31:33 pm »
+2
There was an interesting stat comparing Ponting's purple patch to Smith's, and they were nearly identical. I wonder if we are rating Smith too high. If he can hold this purple patch for the rest of his career, then...

s130900

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 09:40:11 pm »
+1
Smith is simply a class above everyone else! He barely ever misses a shot, and lets not even get started about his versatile shot selections. These days you see players, swinging the bat hard and hitting four's, but Smith on the other hand, always hits it in the gap so smoothly. Most of us didn't grow up watching Bradman, but we should be grateful and proud that we can watch an outstanding player like Smith!