Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:56:50 am

Author Topic: Effect of rank on scores  (Read 470 times)  Share 

XZ_ICONIC

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Effect of rank on scores
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:29:00 pm »
Basically VCAA needs a way to account for some teachers marking diffferently and SACs being of different difficulty levels. Eg. If everyone in your cohort get 90-100% on the SAC but then none of you get above 70% on the exam, then your SAC scores will get scaled down because it is assumed that your SACs are easy. Conversely if everyone gets below 70% on the SACs and then does really well on the exam, your SAC scores will get scaled up.

So in effect your SAC percentages do not matter. All that is important is your rank in your cohort. To get really high scores you need to be rank 1 (have a higher SAC average than everyone else doing that subject at your school) - Unit 3 and Unit 4 are seperate for most subjects so your rank for each is seperate.

If you are at a 'good' school ie. one where lots of people get 45+ then you could do very well as a top 5 rank, assuming everyone above you does well on the SACs and exam.

So what does it mean if I’m not rank one lets say I’m don’t have a good rank does this put me of getting a 30 or 35
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 06:31:23 pm by PhoenixxFire »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Effect of rank on scores
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 06:33:18 pm »
Please don't bump old threads, I've split your question into a new thread.

You don't need to be rank 1 to get a 30 or 35. You need to have a good enough score across your rank and the exam, this means that if your rank is below what you need, you'll need to do better on the exam. It's impossible to correlate ranks to study scores because it varies wildly between schools, years, and subjects.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

XZ_ICONIC

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Effect of rank on scores
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:44:49 pm »
Please don't bump old threads, I've split your question into a new thread.

You don't need to be rank 1 to get a 30 or 35. You need to have a good enough score across your rank and the exam, this means that if your rank is below what you need, you'll need to do better on the exam. It's impossible to correlate ranks to study scores because it varies wildly between schools, years, and subjects.

Sorry bro, I always thought if you didn’t get rank 1 it will lead to bad ss scores