Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 07:50:10 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 209735 times)  Share 

jaskirat

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #465 on: October 06, 2017, 05:48:03 pm »
what text are you doing? the questions are usually centered around themes for mine (don't know if it's the same for you?) so i have a couple of themes ready with quotes, techniques, etc so i can apply them to any question. i don't know if that'll work for you, but the questions are quite similar because there's only so much that can be asked. if you did cssa trials, they try to predict the question in the hsc, so look at feedback from there as well. :-)
im doing 'The life and crimes of Harry lavender'. so you reckon its best to have some themes, techniques ready with quotes?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #466 on: October 06, 2017, 07:05:04 pm »
im doing 'The life and crimes of Harry lavender'. so you reckon its best to have some themes, techniques ready with quotes?

ah okay, i don't do that text :-/ yea i reckon! how about you write up some notes with themes, techniques, quotes, etc, then write an essay (send it off to a teacher or submit it here - you'll probably have 50 posts very soon). :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

AlphaGeek

• Adventurer
« Reply #467 on: October 07, 2017, 01:17:51 am »
What are the chances of them specifying a poem for Module B: Wilfred Owen War poems? I only know two poems really well and the others not so much  :'( :'(

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #468 on: October 07, 2017, 01:29:45 am »
What are the chances of them specifying a poem for Module B: Wilfred Owen War poems? I only know two poems really well and the others not so much  :'( :'(

i don't think it's that likely because last year they gave passages for distinctively visual, but i wouldn't rule it out. if you know two poems well, just have a general idea of the others; if they specify a poem, there will be an excerpt. you won't have to write more than 2 paragraphs on the specified poem anyway :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #469 on: October 08, 2017, 02:03:56 pm »
We've not discussed it, since the HSC period is more spread we might not do a complete stop - Stuff submitted for English any later than Monday or Tuesday will probably not be marked though, since our lag time is about 5 days at the moment :) so we might stop taking essays for English this Tuesday night or something, we'll see - We'll give you a couple of days notice :)

ohh okay! thanks !
and do you think you guys can mark any essay sent in today before 5 days?
(its cos I'm going to send mine in today and I want a few days to fix it according to feedback + memorise it )
ATAR Goal 90

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #470 on: October 09, 2017, 08:42:16 pm »
Hey just wondering if 'The Last Leaf' the short story is an okay related text for transitions, my set text being 'The simple Gift'. I'm struggling to link it but don't have many other options...
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #471 on: October 09, 2017, 08:48:37 pm »
ohh okay! thanks !
and do you think you guys can mark any essay sent in today before 5 days?
(its cos I'm going to send mine in today and I want a few days to fix it according to feedback + memorise it )

We always move literally as fast as we can without failing our university course ;)  unfortunately 5 days is probably the wait time at the moment!

GraceR99

• Adventurer
« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2017, 02:16:11 pm »
Our school studies William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice for Module B, and I was wondering if it is ok to only explore just one character in an essay? For example, a question might ask about Shakespeare's use of conflict; is it ok to talk about varying types of conflict in relation to one character? (I would do Shylock, for anyone who knows the story...Sometimes it feels like we are the only school in the world who would ever study this text!)

Hey just btw everyone, after doing the exam, I don't reckon it matters! Seriously, as long as you can tie in the character with all elements of the question, it's all good ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:58:19 pm by GraceR99 »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:28 pm »
How likely will they ask for a short story for Paper One? Would it be hard to translate a feature article into a short story?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #474 on: October 10, 2017, 09:59:40 pm »
+1
How likely will they ask for a short story for Paper One? Would it be hard to translate a feature article into a short story?

oooh it's very much in the realm of possibility *cough* cssa... and no, i don't think so! maybe you could make the feature article centred around one person's discovery and how they've come across it? like just have one protagonist as they explore what what happens in your article. does that make sense?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #475 on: October 10, 2017, 10:02:26 pm »
oooh it's very much in the realm of possibility *cough* cssa... and no, i don't think so! maybe you could make the feature article centred around one person's discovery and how they've come across it? like just have one protagonist as they explore what what happens in your article. does that make sense?

Yes it makes sense. Thanks!! I was planning on doing the feature article about me discovering something about my teacher hehe. I'm hoping it wouldn't be too hard to translate it into a short story during the exam, if they ever ask for a short story (I'm just hoping it'll be a free for all stimulus and we could do whatever)

shay_hewy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #476 on: October 10, 2017, 10:20:14 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering if we will get marked down or harshly for using the film 'Paradise Road' as our related text for 'The Shoehorn Sonata' as it is just the film adaption to the play?

Thanks. ;D
(Couldn't figure out how to reply to the thread so I took this as a wild guess haha.)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #477 on: October 10, 2017, 10:28:11 pm »
We always move literally as fast as we can without failing our university course ;)  unfortunately 5 days is probably the wait time at the moment!

ok that's cool
thanks for everything guys
AN was literally my HSC savior I honestly don't know what I would do without it :)
ATAR Goal 90

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #478 on: October 10, 2017, 10:31:23 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering if we will get marked down or harshly for using the film 'Paradise Road' as our related text for 'The Shoehorn Sonata' as it is just the film adaption to the play?

Thanks. ;D
(Couldn't figure out how to reply to the thread so I took this as a wild guess haha.)

Hey! Welcome to the forums !!

Imo this is definitely a bit risky. ORTs are meant to be different to your prescribed text as markers want to see your capability to analyse a text that hasn't been taught by your teacher. Since 'Paradise Road' is the film adaptation of your prescribed text, your ideas and analysis will just be the same but just with different techniques.

I would suggest doing a different ORT just because the markers expect a totally different text that isn't related to your prescribed :) (Edit: What I mean by 'totally different' is that the themes should be similar (if its discovery or something) but the ideas/techniques should be different) )

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:41:09 pm by beatroot »

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #479 on: October 10, 2017, 10:53:41 pm »

Thanks. ;D

I remember in year 11 we did the play the secret river and we were told not to use the book (the play was the adaption of the book)
I guess its very risky
but do you have time to change your ort now, only a few days left till the hsc..
ATAR Goal 90