Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 11:17:42 pm

Author Topic: Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion - Total energy of Circular and non-circular or  (Read 783 times)  Share 

frog0101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Hi,
For the dotpoint:
Investigate the relationship of Kepler’s Laws of Planetary Motion to the forces acting on, and the total energy of, planets in circular and non-circular orbits.
What are we meant to do (or use) for the 'Total energy of planets in circular and non-cricular orbits' (This is almost the exact same as in next DP)? Does anyone have any notes or information for this?

Also, are the equations (given with that dotpoint) restricted to circular orbits (I believe, accurately, they only apply for circular) for the course.

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Hey frog!!

- I find this dot point just as curious as you - I wouldn't devote any special attention to it. I feel like the aspects of the following dot point to do with energies cover you perfectly ;D

- Correct! The equations we learn are only applicable to circular orbits, and we only (based on the syllabus) need to use them to analyse circular orbits. That is, whenever quantitatively analysing an orbit, assume it is circular (a good approximation for most situations anyway) ;D