Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 08:17:06 am

Author Topic: myth?  (Read 5622 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
myth?
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:14:32 am »
my german teacher said a while ago that if you do a language, regardless of your study score, you get another 5 points added onto your aggregate.

is this correct? seems a bit "too good to be true" to me ...
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Odette

Re: myth?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:24:02 am »
Quote from: "ninwa"
my german teacher said a while ago that if you do a language, regardless of your study score, you get another 5 points added onto your aggregate.

is this correct? seems a bit "too good to be true" to me ...

Lol i heard that too, i don't know how true it is though..

cara.mel

myth?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:30:24 am »
That would be awesome xD I've never heard that before

Maybe she meant how all lotes get an extra +5 or so with scaling artifically added onto them to make people do them.

I would so love it if that was true, I'd get my enter goal no worries then xD doubt it but

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
myth?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:14:37 am »
The extra 5 points is part of your scaled study score.

Odette

myth?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 10:19:58 am »
Ohh.... but arabic doesn't get scaled up... sigh.. i'm happy with my study score anyways :P

My school lied to me!!

ninwa

myth?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 10:21:54 am »
Quote from: "Odette"
Ohh.... but arabic doesn't get scaled up... sigh.. i'm happy with my study score anyways :P

My school lied to me!!

:o a language that DOESNT get scaled up?? what on earth?

Odette

myth?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 10:28:03 am »
Quote from: "Odette"

My school lied to me!!

:o a language that DOESNT get scaled up?? what on earth?

Tell me about it... arabic is one of the hardest languages to learn ... a lot harder than french and italian anyways ... but hmm

ninwa

myth?
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:30:18 am »
yeah ... it looks absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to write lol

Odette

myth?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:33:50 am »
yeah ... it looks absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to write lol

Lol ...
Yeah it is, and not only that the way you speak is different from how you write...

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
myth?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 12:01:06 pm »
No all languages get an automatic scaling of 5, on top of normal scaling, due to some govt incentive

reg

myth?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 12:07:41 pm »
Quote from: "goosefraba"
No all languages get an automatic scaling of 5, on top of normal scaling, due to some govt incentive

What?

So .. for French:
35 = + 11 + 5 ?
or is it
35 = + 6 + 5

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
myth?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 12:13:14 pm »
Quote from: "reg"

35 = + 6 + 5

yes

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
myth?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 12:46:06 pm »
yeh its built in.. arabic would go down without the bonus points!!

languages can be a bit unfair sometimes, because the thing with arabic is, since there is probably a greater number of native speakers or people that speak it at home than say french.. they are likely to do well in arabic, but only do averagely in other subjects.. this makes it look like arabic is uncompetitive, and therefore the scaling brings it down. therefore making it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone that doesnt speak it at home or natively to have a chance of getting a good score because its actualy not uncompetitive, its of a very high standard for whats supposed to be a second language study.

same sort of thing happens with greek i think, athough it does go up a little bit thanks to bonus points.

your fine because you speak it at home anyway, therefore are on that playing field with the others there, but imagine someone who didnt, or imagine someone like that trying to do greek or something as well. doesnt work well

thats why id be sticking to languages like german and french for people with no second language at home. small number of native speakers doing it, and also a lot of people that go very well in their other subjects do them. i wish id done two languages, german aand french

Odette

myth?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 12:54:34 pm »
Quote from: "melanie.dee"
yeh its built in.. arabic would go down without the bonus points!!

languages can be a bit unfair sometimes, because the thing with arabic is, since there is probably a greater number of native speakers or people that speak it at home than say french.. they are likely to do well in arabic, but only do averagely in other subjects.. this makes it look like arabic is uncompetitive, and therefore the scaling brings it down. therefore making it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone that doesnt speak it at home or natively to have a chance of getting a good score because its actualy not uncompetitive, its of a very high standard for whats supposed to be a second language study.

same sort of thing happens with greek i think, athough it does go up a little bit thanks to bonus points.

your fine because you speak it at home anyway, therefore are on that playing field with the others there, but imagine someone who didnt, or imagine someone like that trying to do greek or something as well. doesnt work well

thats why id be sticking to languages like german and french for people with no second language at home. small number of native speakers doing it, and also a lot of people that go very well in their other subjects do them. i wish id done two languages, german aand french

They should lower the standards for arabic, if you can speak arabic it wont help you much, because the way you write is completely different.. heck you're better off if you don't speak arabic lol

ninwa

myth?
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 12:58:55 pm »
lol melanie, I've always wanted to learn french as well as german, except my silly school doesn't offer it :P