Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 03:56:56 pm

Author Topic: Physics Marking  (Read 1674 times)  Share 

eric11588

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Physics Marking
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:35:59 pm »
Can someone please tell me what they look  for in questions and stuff so I can answer them properly and achieve  higher mark. Been failing this subject

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Physics Marking
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:45:50 pm »
Can someone please tell me what they look  for in questions and stuff so I can answer them properly and achieve  higher mark. Been failing this subject

Hey Eric!

When answering a Physics question, the important thing is to understand what the question is actually assessing. Which dotpoints do they want you to discuss? Which formulas should you use? What structure should your answer follow? This is the same for all science subjects (eg. Biology). From there, if you're struggling you need to identify which areas you have a particular weakness. Do you understand the content, but can't write out a comprehensive answer? Do you find long responses tough, or do you hate Maths questions? Let us know what your specific issue is, and we can try to offer some advice!

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

eric11588

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:22:22 am »
I usually struggle with long responses. I used key terms and everything but the answer seems to target something specific during the test. Like in past papers the answers are usually vague and straightforward but when it comes to exam it is specific.

Jyrgal

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 08:31:29 pm »
+1
my physics teacher is a HSC marker and is an advocate for the new upcoming syllabus- simply because the long responses in the current HSC is basically how well a student can 'creatively' write

he said for longer responses especially for 6-7 markers, it is good to have a clear structure to how you write (step by step, dot point by dot point) so you can show to the marker you know the content front to back. However, most of the long responses for physics (ive noticed) do not actually require that much 'understanding' of physics itself, especially for questions that relate to society.  my teacher said it is actually good to basically bs your way through. Not sure on the year, but he said he'd marked a question on how transformers had affected modern society, rather than talking about 'how' it works, most of the marks were dedicated to stuff like (less noise pollution, more luxurious items, more 'home' time) but it was also important to put disadvantages (more light-leads to more working hours, obsession with technology, obesity)

so all in all, depending on the type of long response- the more objective Qs you should have a step-by-step procedure in explaining it, while the more subjective is basically creative writing

dux99.95

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:36:55 pm »
^^^

Hey Jake,
I think I understand the content but lack comprehension. I think this happens because I don't try to memorise the specific linguistic terms/ sentences of the textbook so when I'm impromptu under pressure during an exam, I panic and my answers come out very primary-school type (Maybe I should read more books to have better English?)

How can I improve?
What mindset should I approach my questions with?
In my 1st assessment, I approached it with a mindset of 'write everything' and that helped a lot (I was also very thorough with the content and practiced a lot of questions ) - I ended up getting a great mark.
However I think that method might make you run out of time (- can't say for sure since I haven't been as thorough with my learning)
I was thinking of constantly asking my self the W questions (who, what, when, why ETC) but that makes me explain every little detail and makes my answer garbled and then I miss out on using the W questions on actual important information because mentally I'm just sick of explaining the little details

The other thing is - how do you know what to explain and what not to?
Eg If I say
pH is a reverse logarithmic scale
Do I leave it at that or NOT assume they'll know and add "when H+ increases, pH decreases"

For harsh marking criteria - HSC isn't that effective tbh, their responses are short.
Should I use selective school trial papers? And HSC response feedback?
What else is good?

Thanks heaps!!