Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 05:30:06 am

Author Topic: Assessment Help  (Read 1366 times)

Aviator_13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Assessment Help
« on: March 13, 2019, 07:56:08 pm »
Hey guys so we got an English assessment task that's on Keats' poetry and Jane Campion's, Bright star. We pretty much have to write a script of an interview between an interviewer and Jane Campion. We have to make questions and answer them on behalf of Jane Campion. The questions need to be asked in such a way that you can get answers that relate two poems of John Keats (1 chosen by me and the other unknown, given in the exam) and the film bright star. The interview must be explore this question "How has your understanding and appreciation of John Keats' poetry been re-imagined in 'Bright Star'? it must also explore:
- Context, values and perspectives
- Central themes and ideas
- Language forms and features
- Conventions of poetry and film
Firstly, i have no idea what to even begin writing about for this task. I don't really know what to write about mainly because this task is so open ended and i'm a bit confused as to what the markers would be looking for. Any suggestions as to what i should do and what type of questions i should ask?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Assessment Help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:50:42 pm »
+1
Hey!! This is a really tough task for sure! I'm sure there'll be a tonne of tips from others but in terms of where to start, you need to come up with your main idea(s). In an essay, these would form your paragraphs, but in this they'll form your question. You need a big umbrella idea (the THESIS) and some sub-ideas/themes.

So let's say you want to discuss a theme, "the inevitability of death." Totally random. A Thesis statement might be:

"Campion's Bright Star gives a greater insight into the context behind the harrowing portrayal of death in Keat's poems ___ and ____."

Once you have them, you just rephrase it as a question:

"So Jane, one of the big things we see in Bright Star is Keat's health struggles.. I imagine some of his poems were a huge insight into portraying the emotional aspects of that?"

See how it's sort of the same thing, just approached from the opposite direction? Essentially, the interview and the essay are the same thing. The interview is just structured in question/answers that match the paragraph in the essay. The question does the job of the topic sentence, then the response (might also add to the topic sentence, but then also) is the body and the conclusion ;D

So come up with your ideas first! Make a list of themes and let them guide your questions :)

PS - I deleted the copy of this you posted in the Marking section, but you can always post a paragraph there for feedback later ;D