Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:45:13 pm

Author Topic: Sample exam question  (Read 3609 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Sample exam question
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 12:36:59 pm »
Also guys, while we're discussing the sample exam...

For CBT questions, what do we need to mention for the 3 marks? As well as the systematic desensitisation questions? (3 marks)

For question 6b. of the sample exam, how would we link the research study? because mentions 'poor response to medication due to genetic factors' (biological).
The epsych answer doesn't even reference the study.

and 7dii) where it asks about what the standard deviation suggests about encoding:
I discussed spread but how do we link to the actual encoding of the words?

What does actually mean to 'write a conclusion'? Because they often give very little lines and its only worth like 2 marks but I never know what to specifically discuss. For example, in the sample exam question 8c.

also, when asked for a research hypothesis, do we need to operationalise, or just state the name of the variable?

---

How are you guys splitting the sections timing wise?
Because I tend to run out of time, and don't get enough time to edit/read over the 10-marker. I usually spend 1hour on short answer, then 30 minutes for extended response and then 30 for MC, but time is really restricting.

Thankyou so much!
For CBT I think   : -what is it, -behavioural intervention, -cognitive intervention
For systematic desensitisation I think: -creating fear hierachy -relaxation techniques -graduated exposure
swap the word "medication" for "chloromidiside"
SD: Discuss variability in the strength of encoding, which group has more variation?

In your conclusion, reference the hypothesis, and what the results suggest about the world
I give some info on hypotheses which you may find useful ]https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=174013.0] here

bdgonz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 08:11:40 pm »

dude i dont understand how can recall be worse, logically the additional mnemonic devices enhance recall. its a technique most students do to remember things when studying by drawing diagrams called imagery, im aware its not in the study design but it has to be correct. recall must be enhanced, that whole 7+-2 is wrong since ur associating the pictures with the words. (sorry about bad wording little tired)

I think you're right. I discussed how recall would be enhanced by having the pictures alongside the words because it is a form of elaborative rehearsal (it adds more meaning to the words). Then I defined elaborative rehearsal. Then I explained why both having words that rhyme and pictures would create more retrieval cues.

I'm pretty sure because you've talked about repeated measures earlier, it should be either IG design of MP design. Not too sure though.

Hope this helped.
2016 | Methods [39] HHD [42]
2017 | English [45] Accounting [41] Economics [34] Psychology [45]
2018 | Commerce / Arts @ Monash University
ATAR: 97.50

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 09:13:45 pm »
+2
Also guys, while we're discussing the sample exam...

For CBT questions, what do we need to mention for the 3 marks? As well as the systematic desensitisation questions? (3 marks)

For question 6b. of the sample exam, how would we link the research study? because mentions 'poor response to medication due to genetic factors' (biological).
The epsych answer doesn't even reference the study.

and 7dii) where it asks about what the standard deviation suggests about encoding:
I discussed spread but how do we link to the actual encoding of the words?

What does actually mean to 'write a conclusion'? Because they often give very little lines and its only worth like 2 marks but I never know what to specifically discuss. For example, in the sample exam question 8c.

also, when asked for a research hypothesis, do we need to operationalise, or just state the name of the variable?

---

How are you guys splitting the sections timing wise?
Because I tend to run out of time, and don't get enough time to edit/read over the 10-marker. I usually spend 1hour on short answer, then 30 minutes for extended response and then 30 for MC, but time is really restricting.

Thankyou so much!

For CBT I like to mention the following (depending on whether it's for phobia or insomnia)
1. CBT runs on the basis that our thoughts affect how we feel and behave (1?)
2. Cognitive component: attempts to identify unhelpful or unrealistic thoughts of the individual (1) and changes them to more balanced, positive thoughts (1)
3. Behavioural Component
- Sleep Onset Insomnia: stimulus control therapy to strengthen the bed and bedroom as cues for sleep through strategies such as.... only going to bed when tired, using bed only for sleep etc. , sleep hygiene education to introduce habits to encourage good sleep and discourage bad sleep habits such as ... no caffeine before bed, exercise during the day but not for a few hours before bed etc.

For systematic desensitisation:
1. Taught a relaxation technique such as breathing training etc.
2. Create a fear hierarchy from least feared conditioned stimulus version to most feared
3. Pair the relaxation technique with the lowest and move up as the individual starts to successfully pair the feeling of relaxation and conditioned stimulus

Just remember to link the CBT/systematic desensitisation stuff to the scenario otherwise you'll probably lose a mark or be limited to a certain number of marks.

For the poor response to medication on the sample exam, I would talk about how the individual (forgot his name) may not properly respond to the Chloromidiside, therefore preventing recovery and perpetuating the mental illness.

I'm not too sure about how to link the standard deviation to the words. Sorry!

For a conclusion, you normally talk about the results (did the IV have an effect on the DV) and whether the hypothesis is supported/refuted. There's probably someone here with a better answer than this.

I don't think you have to operationalise a research hypothesis, but I normally do to be safe. However, since they are normally 3 marks, they are normally allocated based on population, IV and DV.

Also, the exam is 2 hours, 30 minutes with 15 minutes reading time. Reading time is from 9:00am to 9:15am and writing time from 9:15am to 11:45am. So your allocation with a total of 2 hours should be fine since you'll have about 30 minutes spare to check over your stuff.

Good Luck! Hopefully someone can answer the standard deviation question and provide a better answer to the conclusion. :)
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University