Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:51:02 pm

Author Topic: Dropping subjects  (Read 3733 times)  Share 

Ajanes

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Dropping subjects
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:17:56 am »
So I'm currently on 12 units, I was initially on 14, however I dropped mathematics. I now want to drop hospitality which will leave me carrying 10 units! I feel confident with the remaining 10 units, although many of my teachers have advised against this, whilst others do not see an issue. Any thoughts on carrying only 10 units??
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:22:01 am by Ajanes »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Dropping subjects
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:36:43 am »
The teachers advise against this because they want to protect you. There have been cases where people decided to take it easy and only do 10 units, but they still mess up 2 of them anyway and their ATAR gets significantly impacted. So the important thing here is your instinct and how truthful you will stay to it. Even some of the most confident students ended up getting hit by this problem.

Your gut instinct is telling you to go down to 10 units. And in fact, many people have pulled off 10 units exactly the way they wanted; it benefitted them. You should think about to what extent you will be able to ensure you do not go through a calamity at the last minute and crash and burn through 2 of your units if you go to 10. If you have full faith that this is a significantly unlikely factor, then 10 units (what I did) definitely has its perks. You get rid of one subject, and thus have more time to allocate to everything else, which is always great.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:55:09 am »
Why is it you want to drop hospitality? If you're not enjoying it, it's taking up an extraordinary amount of time, or you're resenting studying it compared to your other subjects, then I suggest getting rid of it. You'll be striding much stronger in your remaining ten units if you get rid of a dead weight. If you're more thinking "eh, I might drop hospo because I can't be bothered with 12 units, but I also don't really mind doing hospo," that's another story. But if it is something that's taking up your time, study capacity, and impacting you or your study schedule negatively, then I definitely suggest dropping the subject. The less time you spend on a subject that's lowering your study morale, the better you will perform in your other subjects.

(Also: think of the free periods). I took in 11 units and I can honestly say I would have been just as comfortable with 10, it's just that I wanted to do Extension 2 English which brought me up a unit. I didn't do 11 units because 10 units frightened me, I did 11 units because that's the way my cookie crumbled. Definitely think strategically as Rui has suggested, but I can't stress the importance of ridding yourself of a dead weight if it means you'll be far happier to study if hospitality is out of the way.  :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Ajanes

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »
I absolutely dread going to my hospitality classes as well as doing any study for the subject. This is a completely different attitude to that which I have towards all of my other subjects, this is the main reason why I think I should drop hospitality.

Thank you so much for your response I feel more confident with dropping it now :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:06:53 pm »
I absolutely dread going to my hospitality classes as well as doing any study for the subject. This is a completely different attitude to that which I have towards all of my other subjects, this is the main reason why I think I should drop hospitality.

Thank you so much for your response I feel more confident with dropping it now :)

Oh goodness - Yeah, definitely drop Ajanes! You definitely don't need that kind of negativity in your HSC year of all things ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 07:20:25 pm »

You just said dread. So basically you've answered your own question now - drop it when you can

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 01:29:17 pm »
hello everyone!
so i few post earlier i mentioned how i was considering to drop bio and here i have created a pros and cons on whether i should drop it or not. although the final decision would be based on my marks and rank i would still like to know wether im on the right track in terms of why id like to drop it.
Thank you very much
ps. some stuff may overlap etc. hope my dodgy list doesn't confuse you
thanks again

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 01:51:26 pm »
hello everyone!
so i few post earlier i mentioned how i was considering to drop bio and here i have created a pros and cons on whether i should drop it or not. although the final decision would be based on my marks and rank i would still like to know wether im on the right track in terms of why id like to drop it.
Thank you very much
ps. some stuff may overlap etc. hope my dodgy list doesn't confuse you
thanks again
Read your pro's again. You just stated that you don't even like it.

Marks are not the primary reason to drop. That, is the primary reason to drop.

Come study time, you are not going to study for it if you don't even like it. Regardless of how much easier biology is, you're going to be putting work into the one you're actually bothered to study for. And what will happen? You choose not to study for biology sufficiently, or do too much ineffective studying, which sets off a chain reaction in that your marks are all going to be weighed down. The most important thing in the HSC is to never do something that you don't like.

Note: 10 units is certainly risky, but I did it (and others do it as well). Still got me decently good results anyway.

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:47:16 pm »
Read your pro's again. You just stated that you don't even like it.

Marks are not the primary reason to drop. That, is the primary reason to drop.

Come study time, you are not going to study for it if you don't even like it. Regardless of how much easier biology is, you're going to be putting work into the one you're actually bothered to study for. And what will happen? You choose not to study for biology sufficiently, or do too much ineffective studying, which sets off a chain reaction in that your marks are all going to be weighed down. The most important thing in the HSC is to never do something that you don't like.

Note: 10 units is certainly risky, but I did it (and others do it as well). Still got me decently good results anyway.

Hi RuiAce
firstly sorry i took forever to reply. i went out on holidays without WIFI or anything. it was a struggle to survive haha ;)

the thing with bio i find is that there are certain things i like to learn such as when we were learning about the blood whereas there are other things i just dont like or struggle to get and since i dont like those certain parts of it i guess your right i dont study. i think my biggest fear of dropping is that then all my subject would count which sounds hell scary for someone like me who is pre average at aims for a 96 ATAR. i think that is why im second guessing my decision. In short im a confuzzled child. would you have any tips or advice to help me out? if i do drop bio due to my result in the half yearlies should i be because i have a bad mark or rank?
thanks heaps! :))

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 06:19:43 pm »
Hi RuiAce
firstly sorry i took forever to reply. i went out on holidays without WIFI or anything. it was a struggle to survive haha ;)

the thing with bio i find is that there are certain things i like to learn such as when we were learning about the blood whereas there are other things i just dont like or struggle to get and since i dont like those certain parts of it i guess your right i dont study. i think my biggest fear of dropping is that then all my subject would count which sounds hell scary for someone like me who is pre average at aims for a 96 ATAR. i think that is why im second guessing my decision. In short im a confuzzled child. would you have any tips or advice to help me out? if i do drop bio due to my result in the half yearlies should i be because i have a bad mark or rank?
thanks heaps! :))

If you don't feel like you enjoy Biology then drop it. I was in a very similar boat to you. I was doing pretty bad in Physics but enjoyed some of the content. My teacher advised me to drop to 11 units while my Tutor suggested 13. In the end I dropped Physics with the intention of spending that time into studying for Extension 2 Maths. Haven't regretted the decision a single bit. Taking an entire subject off your shoulders is very nice if you a) are doing well/better in all your others and b) can't stand the workload and stress of 12 units.

If you feel like you enjoy the content but struggle then honestly, it's already post half yearlies. You should definitely consider dropping it. Put that time into your other subjects. You'll like it better that way :)

Regards, Wales
Heavy Things :(

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »
If you don't feel like you enjoy Biology then drop it. I was in a very similar boat to you. I was doing pretty bad in Physics but enjoyed some of the content. My teacher advised me to drop to 11 units while my Tutor suggested 13. In the end I dropped Physics with the intention of spending that time into studying for Extension 2 Maths. Haven't regretted the decision a single bit. Taking an entire subject off your shoulders is very nice if you a) are doing well/better in all your others and b) can't stand the workload and stress of 12 units.

If you feel like you enjoy the content but struggle then honestly, it's already post half yearlies. You should definitely consider dropping it. Put that time into your other subjects. You'll like it better that way :)

Regards, Wales

Hi Wales

your absolutely spot on with you Physics examples but for me im like an average achiever wanting to get in the 90's for my ATAR and if you get me i feel like i get unpredictable results. (like i may do super good in one exam for legal but then horrible in the next)
 i just got my bio mark and i got 50% which is defs not my benchmark in terms of how i go in exams im a more 75%+ range. however when i look at it i dont already spend time on bio ( i spent around the same amount or more time last year on bio and did well not as much this year could that be factor for my bad mark? majority of the topics i didnt find interesting i guess thats why or i couldnt wrap my head around) so i cant exactly say id use that extra time on other subjects.
Actually you know what i think im scared to commit to dropping it even tho i lowkey want to as im scared i might screw up my other subject which all would count towards my HSC.
i am getting maths results tomorrow (another subject im really unsure about for my result) if i do good then im 100% im dropping bio if not knowing myself id contemplate again. oh boy!
hopefully you can understand all the blabber going in my brain which i splattered onto this forum as i contemplate heavily on this decision
once again that you for taking the time to help me out. :)))
im super sorry if nothing makes sense.