Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 11:38:31 am

Author Topic: Learning Indonesian  (Read 1816 times)  Share 

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
Learning Indonesian
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:38:09 am »
I know we have a VCE Indonesian forum, but I figure this is slightly outside of the scope of that.

Basically, I've recently started toying with the idea of learning Indonesian, especially since my home university has a joint academic+homestay program where you learn an entire uni year's worth in-country during the summer or winter breaks.  Obviously though, I'm mostly considering this because I actually want to learn the language, out of both natural curiousity and because some of my best friends are of Indonesian descent (and I think it would be neat to engage more strongly with their cultural background).  On the other hand, I'm also really strongly considering taking up this program because it involves immersion in another country, and partially because (apparently) the simplicity of the Indonesian language means fluency is relatively easy to attain. 

So I have two questions:

1. What are people's experiences learning Indonesian?  Is it enjoyable?  Do you really improve as quickly as people tend to claim?
2. What are some of the practical utilities of Indonesian?  I value language for its own sake, but it'd be neat if somebody could point out some super awesome Indonesian cultural phenomenon which language proficiency would increase the appreciation of, or if there was some badass work of Indonesian epic literature.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:41:56 am by EvangelionZeta »
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

appianway

Re: Learning Indonesian
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:44:08 am »
I would also like to find out about learning indonesian! I'm planning on either learning Chinese or Indonesian next year (probably Chinese), but does anyone know of any opportunities to go to Indonesia for a month or two over Christmas or during winter?

abeybaby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +182
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:27 am »
I learnt indo from year 8-10, theres like... no grammar o.O

you dont conjugate verbs, theres no distinction between male and female... you just slap a bunch of words together and all of a sudden it makes sense...

and all you have to do to master pronunciation, is pretend you have a cold and your nose is blocked. its actually very easy compared with any other language i can think of

Smarter VCE Lectures and Resources

2014-2017: Doctor of Medicine, University of Sydney.
2011-2013: Bachelor of Biomedicine, University of Melbourne. 2010 ATAR: 99.85

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:09:40 pm »
I would also like to find out about learning indonesian! I'm planning on either learning Chinese or Indonesian next year (probably Chinese), but does anyone know of any opportunities to go to Indonesia for a month or two over Christmas or during winter?

https://alliance.anu.edu.au/web/incountry_indonesia/public/language/language.htm

There's one that runs from mid-June to early August, which (as I indicated previously) is about a year's worth of Indonesian.  It's open to cross-institutional enrolment as well.  :)
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »
1. It's about as enjoyable as learning any other language I suppose. One thing to note is that the learning barrier in Indonesian is nowhere as steep as other languages. Uses the same alphabet as English and pronunciation isn't especially sophisticated either. I believe sentence construction is relatively similar as well.

2. Sorry, I'm not much help here. Perhaps you could watch SBS news at 5 in the morning now
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:03 pm »
+1
I did it from 7-11 but I didn't try as hard as I should have. But you definitely still remember some words etc. because it has many words which are similar to their English counterparts. For example bis is bus lol. Similar idea with university, facilities, computer etc. So once you've learnt words they stick. The biggest issue is the grammar which I think people can easily over complicate it - as in add too many grammatical units.

Woah are you really a female?!?! If so I just realized...
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:44 pm »
I've studied Indo for about 7 years and dropped it last year. It is rather simple (in comparison to Jap which I'm doing now). As others have said the grammar is simple. In relation to the words, Indo has a lot of 'loan words' so that is why they are easy to figure out. I always found that if you can recognise just a couple of words of Indo you can piece it together.

VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »
+3
^Well, from what everyone is saying, you all make it sound like Indonesian is really really easy. I'm an Indonesian person who did Indonesian SL, and here's my take on guys / girls learning Indo. My theory is YES, that most people improve a lot at a short time, even if they don't put a whole lot of work. But getting fluency at Indonesian is bloody hard, akin to an Indonesian person learning English for the first time.

It's not hard to improve, that much is true. But trust me, when you don't continue to speak, write, or read Indonesian constantly, there is no way that you can just 'piece it together' or 'cruise Indonesian'. It's definitely not a joke, and being fluent at Indonesian is quite hard.

If you've ever gone to Indonesia (well, probably Bali for most of you), try talking to a native fully in Indonesian for a few minutes. It can be quite hard to talk to the person, and also listening to the person. It's because you're not used to it. Try listening to Indonesian news on SBS. I can tell you there's a 99% chance that someone who's not fluent in Indonesian will not understand the whole meaning of news that has been said, because they speak real fast. As for reading and writing, it's definitely easy to write simple essays, but when it comes to reading news (such as Kompas), the same thing happens: you might understand some of the information, but the rest is hard to understand.

EDIT: Need to address OP's question number 2.

Well, the only practical utility of Indonesian is if you want to work in something that requires Indonesian (Indo teacher, translator), you want to have a holiday in Indonesia (STOP ONLY GOING TO BALI / JAKARTA PEOPLE! GO TO OTHER PLACES IN INDONESIA), or if you want to actually live there.

Oh btw, if you're planning on learning Indonesian, I'm going to point out the fact that when you hear other Indonesians speak with each other, you're still not going to understand everything even if you're fluent. That's because
A. They're using colloquial words. Most common example is substituting 'tidak' with 'nggak'. A less common example (that I use, sometimes), is substituting 'tidak' with 'emoh'. All of them mean no, but just in different words.
B. They're mixing their dialects with proper Indonesian. There's lots of dialects in Indonesian, and they all have different words. For example, I can't understand / speak Balinese dialect, since I'm from Central Java. But I can speak Javanese, and I use a mix of Javanese and Indonesian plus colloquial words when talking to other Indonesian people.

Trust me, there is no way that an Indonesian person will ONLY use proper Indo when speaking. The only time they'll do it is when it's a formal ocassion (like job interview), or talking to someone who's not fluent at Indo.

And sadly, I don't think that there's an awesome cultural phenomenon that increases appreciation of Indonesian language, unless you like playing gamelan, making batik, playing / making wayang etc. It's unlike say, Japanese. I mean, if I could be fluent at Jap, I can watch anime and read manga without subs. AND THAT IS COOL.

SOZ, BIG RANT. But it's about Indo...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:40:07 pm by aes_999 »
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

abeybaby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +182
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »
^
yes, but fluency in any language is extremely hard. i havent studied a lot of indo, but from the (very few) years i learnt indo, i found it miles easier than french, which i had studied since i was 5 years old. im not underestimating learning a language, im just saying that indo is on the easy side of what is a very difficult group of subjects, LOTE.

Smarter VCE Lectures and Resources

2014-2017: Doctor of Medicine, University of Sydney.
2011-2013: Bachelor of Biomedicine, University of Melbourne. 2010 ATAR: 99.85