Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 10:48:08 am

Author Topic: Unit 1+2 Questions  (Read 5505 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

Unit 1+2 Questions
« on: October 28, 2011, 03:48:26 pm »
Write an equation for strip of copper + silver nitrate

I wrote Cu(s) + AgNO3(aq) -> CuNO3(aq) + Ag+(aq), but the answer is for copper(II) and they have 2Ag(s). Why? Can Ag (just one) be a solid?

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
Re: Unit 1+2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:00 pm »
+1
Write an equation for strip of copper + silver nitrate

I wrote Cu(s) + AgNO3(aq) -> CuNO3(aq) + Ag+(aq), but the answer is for copper(II) and they have 2Ag(s). Why? Can Ag (just one) be a solid?
If you balance the equation, this is what I got:

The copper has a charge of 2+, nitrate ions have a charge of -1. So you need the two nitrates on the right side.
Cu(s) + AgNO3(aq) ---> Cu(NO3)2(aq) + Ag(aq)
This means that you need two nitrates on the left side (and therefore two Ag's on the right side):
Cu(s) + 2AgNO3(aq) ---> Cu(NO3)2(aq) + 2Ag(aq)

So yeah, I'm pretty sure this one here is correct and properly balanced:
Cu(s) + 2AgNO3(aq) ---> Cu(NO3)2(aq) + 2Ag(aq)

#1procrastinator

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »
^ So there's no such thing as Cu+? It seemed a little off to me cause I don't recall seeing it in my other book...

Yeah that looks right (compared to the book, which seems to have a lot of errors by the way), except they said silver is a solid (next question asks for mass of it).

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:14:50 pm »
+1
Copper(I) is Cu+      ....it exists.
Doctor of Medicine

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:23:30 pm »
The question will normally tell you if it's Cu (I), (II), (III) same with Fe, Zn etc. Well i think exam questions do anyway.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:40:16 pm »
The question will normally tell you if it's Cu (I), (II), (III) same with Fe, Zn etc. Well i think exam questions do anyway.
Yeah I noticed that the textbook most of the time indicates if it's (I), (II), or (III) that they're talking about.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that those other forms of Copper doesn't exist :/

#1procrastinator

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »
The question didn't state which one so I checked the table in the book and since there was a copper with a single positive charge, I used that and it turned out to be incorrect.

No problemo man

I'm still wondering why it's copper(II) and not (I) ...does it have anything to do with stuff from Unit 1? Or is it 'beyond the scope of the course' :p

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »
+1
Well, doing some googling, I think it's just because when copper reacts with silver nitrate, copper (II) is formed and not copper (I). The reason for this - I don't really know, but it seems that copper (I) is not formed whatever reason.

If you assign oxidation numbers to the atoms in the equation - for a reaction to occur, there must have been a change in oxidation number somewhere (is this correct for all situations?).

If you consider:
Note that the oxidation states don't change and therefore a reaction didn't occur? I don't know if this is the correct reasoning.  (couldn't think of a better way of writing them, normally I write oxidation numbers directly above - can't really do this when typing)
edit: wait, the oxidation numbers of the silver and copper do change (how did I overlook that...?).

But, if you consider this:

There is a change in oxidation numbers and therefore a reaction occurs. Silver has an oxisation number of +1 and there's two atoms of silver. While on the right, they have a charge of 0 (since they are in free elemental form or whatever). You can't have electrons being gained without it coming from somewhere else. These come from the copper. The copper atom loses 2 electrons which are received by the silver.

That's the best way I can explain it (in a way that makes sense to me). I am not entirely sure if what I said about the first situation is correct. There's probably a better way of explaining it.

edit: made a mistake, explanation doesn't work - ignore it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:01:45 pm by laseredd »

dinosaur93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »
Regarding pH calculation for Stoichiometry

Could anyone help me with these sets of Qs?

Calculate the pH for each of the following solutions.

1. 375.00 mL 0.05 M H2SO4 solution

2. 125.00 mL 0.0005 M HCl solution

3. 350.00 mL 0.01 M NaOH solution

kindly also pls provide self-explanatory answers, tnx heaps  :D

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 05:13:45 pm »
If you assign oxidation numbers to the atoms in the equation - for a reaction to occur, there must have been a change in oxidation number somewhere (is this correct for all situations?).
Just note for a redox reaction there must be a change in oxidation number.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 05:17:26 pm »
Thanks

Would you happen to know the reason behind why Cu(II) is formed and not Cu(I)? I can't find a reason that explains it satisfactorily.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 05:19:02 pm »
Regarding pH calculation for Stoichiometry

Could anyone help me with these sets of Qs?

Calculate the pH for each of the following solutions.

1. 375.00 mL 0.05 M H2SO4 solution

2. 125.00 mL 0.0005 M HCl solution

3. 350.00 mL 0.01 M NaOH solution

kindly also pls provide self-explanatory answers, tnx heaps  :D
I'll give you the process to do it, that way you should be able to do it yourself.
For pH we need to know the concentration of H+ ions.
1. Find the amount of mol of what you are given (i.e.H2SO4, HCl e.t.c.) using c=n/v
2. From that find out the amount of H+ ions (in mol) using ratios (i.e. 2 mol of H+ for every mol of H2SO4, 1 mol of H+ for every mol of HCl)
2b. If it is a base, you find out the amount of Oh- ions you have using the same method, then (assuming at 25 degrees) use c(OH-)*c(H+)=10^-14 to find the concentration of H+ ions.
3. Find the concentration of H+ ions, i.e. use c=n/v
4. Find the pH using pH=-log(concentation of H+ ions)
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:20:12 pm »
Thanks

Would you happen to know the reason behind why Cu(II) is formed and not Cu(I)? I can't find a reason that explains it satisfactorily.
I'm not sure but I had a look around before and came up with conflicting explanations. I think we'll need some of the chem masters to help here *looks at Thushan and Mao* (or *looks at Mao and Thushan* if you like it that way)

dinosaur93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 05:21:19 pm »
dude, Ive tried doing it already, the thing that doesn't make sense to me though is the fact that I'm ending up with a negative pH and doesn't know how to proceed with that value to find an answer.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 05:23:11 pm »
dude, Ive tried doing it already, the thing that doesn't make sense to me though is the fact that I'm ending up with a negative pH and doesn't know how to proceed with that value to find an answer.
Slightly negative ph's are possible but I'll give it a go and post back in a min.