Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:40:13 am

Author Topic: Assumed Knowledge in 1/2 Methods  (Read 630 times)  Share 

trql.tea

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Assumed Knowledge in 1/2 Methods
« on: December 16, 2019, 08:31:23 pm »
+1
Hello!
I'm beginning 1/2 Methods next year and don't have that great of a footing on maths overall(but have to take it as its a prereq_. Since I'm disadvantaged compared to everyone else in my class, I'd like to spend this holidays "catching up," if you will, so I can start the year off on equal footing. Anyone who has done 1/2 Methods, what are some absolutely crucial things that MUST be known before beginning the course? As in, what does the course assume that you already know and does not cover? Or, what knowledge or basic skills would make my life easier in Methods next year?

Thank you to anyone who replies, any help is much appreciated and genuinely needed!

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Assumed Knowledge in 1/2 Methods
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 09:00:38 pm »
+3
Hello!
I'm beginning 1/2 Methods next year and don't have that great of a footing on maths overall(but have to take it as its a prereq_. Since I'm disadvantaged compared to everyone else in my class, I'd like to spend this holidays "catching up," if you will, so I can start the year off on equal footing. Anyone who has done 1/2 Methods, what are some absolutely crucial things that MUST be known before beginning the course? As in, what does the course assume that you already know and does not cover? Or, what knowledge or basic skills would make my life easier in Methods next year?
Thank you to anyone who replies, any help is much appreciated and genuinely needed!

Hi welcome to AN! ;D
For Methods, the bare basics that you really need to have under the bag are being able to rearrange equations (this includes your simultaneous equations and pretty much anything linear). You should also make sure you know how to graph basic functions (like a straight line/parabola) and it also may be time to brush up on calculating things by hand (e.g. surds/fractions/multiplying with decimals). If you want to make your life easier, also making sure you can do basic quadratics such as factorising and expanding. If you have time, maybe try learning about functions on your CAS as it will help you in the long run!

For Methods, I found that it explains most things from the beginning so as long as you constantly revise, you will be alright!  :)

trqltea

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Assumed Knowledge in 1/2 Methods
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 08:44:15 am »
+1
thank you so much! much appreciated :)