Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:11:10 am

Author Topic: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!  (Read 286098 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!
« Reply #555 on: March 13, 2017, 03:02:50 pm »
Sorry to bother you again. The "Oh shit" paragraph you mentioned. How do you think the idea of dialogue between say the Mother and Piano teacher would be?

-
During the late night practice sessions when she would reprimand me, she would choke on her words. When she would hit me there would be a tinge of guilt residing in her bloodshot eyes. I could vividly recall the night when my mother was talking to my piano teacher in the other room.

“Why, why are you so harsh on him?”

“Do you think I can live with myself if I leave him like this? What if he fails school? What if he doesn’t find a job? The piano is his only saving grace and it is all that I can offer him..”

(My fingers softened ... )
-

Would it be more effective compared to the "Oh Shit paragraph"? Obviously the quote could be refined but I feel as if it completely renders the paragraph useless. I could follow that up directly with him softening his playing, directly implying he realises his mothers intentions?  On the one side I feel like cutting such a significant chunk of text feels wrong however I also feel the quote along with the next paragraph DIRECTLY implies everything the paragraph said and in perhaps a more effective manner. Also note I'm hitting 1200 words and need to cut down. My last creative was 1350 and I'm never attempting to write that word amount in 45 minutes again...

Cheers, Wales

If you are needing to cut back, I think cutting the chunk of text would be a good move! If you believe you can communicate the same ideas in less words, then it is almost always a good idea to do so. Less is more, and having less words gives you more time to adapt to the question on the day if you need to ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #556 on: March 13, 2017, 03:06:29 pm »
Hey! I don't need my creative marked (yet) but I was wondering about incorporating the stimulus. What actually classifies as a sophisticated inclusion of the stimulus? And if it's a quote that pretty much sums up the entire theme of your story, could you just include it as an opening quote or is that too basic?

Hey Steph!

So I got what I think is great advice on stimuli - Pretend you've got a few to choose from (like they did in the HSC last year). The incorporation of your stimulus should be obvious enough that a marker who has the stimuli knows what you picked, but subtle enough that I, as an Advanced student reading your story blind and WITHOUT the stimulus, can't guess what the stimulus was. If I notice out of place cues or dialogue, and can guess the stimulus (roughly) based on that, then you know you haven't used it in a sophisticated way. Sophisticated incorporation is about incorporating it into your story in a way that it doesn't seem like you are doing anything at all :)

So on the quote, does it seem natural to start your story with the quote? Does it honestly fit? If it does, great, do that! If not, then it is better not to - And MOST cases I'd say that just putting the quote at the start is too basic :)

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #557 on: March 13, 2017, 06:39:02 pm »
Hey Steph!

So I got what I think is great advice on stimuli - Pretend you've got a few to choose from (like they did in the HSC last year). The incorporation of your stimulus should be obvious enough that a marker who has the stimuli knows what you picked, but subtle enough that I, as an Advanced student reading your story blind and WITHOUT the stimulus, can't guess what the stimulus was. If I notice out of place cues or dialogue, and can guess the stimulus (roughly) based on that, then you know you haven't used it in a sophisticated way. Sophisticated incorporation is about incorporating it into your story in a way that it doesn't seem like you are doing anything at all :)

So on the quote, does it seem natural to start your story with the quote? Does it honestly fit? If it does, great, do that! If not, then it is better not to - And MOST cases I'd say that just putting the quote at the start is too basic :)

Awesome, thank you! That makes a lot of sense :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

K9810

• Forum Regular
« Reply #558 on: March 19, 2017, 02:56:05 pm »
Hey,
Any ideas on what I can talk about for my creative for this stimulus?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #559 on: March 19, 2017, 07:11:00 pm »
Hey,
Any ideas on what I can talk about for my creative for this stimulus?

Do you have a Creative you are looking to tailor or do you need a totally new idea? ;D

K9810

• Forum Regular
« Reply #560 on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:13 pm »
Do you have a Creative you are looking to tailor or do you need a totally new idea? ;D

I am stuck as to choosing a new idea :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2017, 09:11:50 pm »
I am stuck as to choosing a new idea :(

Cool! Well you could work with the setting, perhaps someone reminiscing on their life as they lie in their bed, or something like that? I don't want to suggest anything too specific because like, you writing my idea won't be as effective as you writing your idea for your vision. But try and look metaphorically too - Like, that quote below the image might represent discovering some previously unknown truth? The image is pretty literal, but you can twist the quote to do all sorts of things!

You should also check out this guide Elyse wrote - It covers a few things you should consider when coming up with your Creative ideas - It could help you brainstorm! :)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »
Hey Jamon~!

I've given my creative to a friend to read and she's noted that the recurring metaphor/motif of the painting to show various aspects of the music seems a bit forced. I can see where she's coming from.

Do you think it's too unnatural and awkward from a contextual standpoint? It feels like I'm trying too hard to integrate the stimulus (which includes a mirror/painting). If so, do you have any alternative suggestions? I need a way to convey the concept of color being integrated into the music and I can only think of the canvas and the colors. Would something as blunt as directly describing the notes as colorful be a step backward?

Cheers, Wales

Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2017, 10:33:39 pm »
Hey Jamon~!

I've given my creative to a friend to read and she's noted that the recurring metaphor/motif of the painting to show various aspects of the music seems a bit forced. I can see where she's coming from.

Do you think it's too unnatural and awkward from a contextual standpoint? It feels like I'm trying too hard to integrate the stimulus (which includes a mirror/painting). If so, do you have any alternative suggestions? I need a way to convey the concept of color being integrated into the music and I can only think of the canvas and the colors. Would something as blunt as directly describing the notes as colorful be a step backward?

Cheers, Wales

If your friend thinks it is too forced, chances are it is too forced. Peers normally have a good intuition for that sort of thing, because as soon as it becomes obvious to them, imagine how obvious it would be to a teacher?

I think describing the notes as colourful would be a little simplistic - Perhaps different sections of the song can carry a different emotional weight and cause recollection of scenes with different colours? Bright colours for happy, dark for sad, something like that? :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #564 on: March 20, 2017, 05:18:36 am »
could you please mark this for me
thank you!

Sure can Hanaacdr :)

Comments are in bold font throughout! :)
Spoiler
“I am very pleased to be here today at the launch of Australia’s celebration of 1993 International year of the World’s Indigenous people”

His heartbeat echoed in his ears as the “leader” of “our” nation, Hon. Paul Keating attempted to apologise, a grim reminder of his own mortality. It beat so loudly that it seemed to want to escape his chest, suffocating in his own breath. His eyes were flashing with anger, his face scrunched tight in anticipation of something bad and he clenched his fist as hard as he could.

He felt uneasy and uncomfortable but he did not change his stance. Anger and rage spurred within him like an alien child that welled and wanted release. He adjusted his suit and collar and prayed for him to leave the stage microphone after everything they had done. Refusing to look him in the eye he stared at his feet hoping he would never hear his “nationalistic pride” voice again. "would never hear his voice full of "nationalistic pride" again." This might suit better - nationalistic pride doesn't work as an adjective to the noun of voice. Nationalistic is an adjective, pride is a noun, then voice is a noun. Two nouns in a row don't suit. But you've quoted it, so it works a little better, but I think adjusting the syntax is the best way to avoid it jarring!

We understand you are doing this for the “political regime,” but what about our language? What about our health? What about our education? There was no way Australia was going to change, Maybe a full stop here to declare the definitiveness? it was simple, Australia will forever be divided and indigenous Australians will be mistreated, Benny had no doubt about this.

He could not leave now, he was well into the speech and there was no way he was going to leave, Benny stood there in disbelief. All he wanted was recognition and an apology that came from the heart and not from the ground. Nice!

Why couldn’t the “leader” of our country see a place in the Australian narrative for me and my community? I have an urge for this to be more powerful, and maybe this will come later in the story - but Indigenous Australians are not just a preface for a narrative, they are the setting, the plot, and everything more, and then the conclusion is where we are now. Maybe you could run this idea through your story? Indicating the length and strength of Indigenous culture in Australia as being ongoing, and wanting to be acknowledged for this, rather than their culture just being a preface for the modern Australian narrative. Could be a good metaphor!

“We committed the murders
We took the children from their mothers
We practiced discrimination and exclusion
it was our ignorance and our prejudice”

He could not believe it, finally a necessary recognition, a rectification for society. He tilted his head up, and looked him in the eye. He turned around to his brothers and sisters to the people who shared his hardships and struggles, clapping and cheering with large smiles stretched from ear to ear the closest thing they would get to an apology.

Unforgiving and cruel thoughts raced through his mind, Benny felt thoughts lingering upon his skin as goose bumps covered his skin, shiver run down his spine as he agitated as flashbacks of the past appeared once again. He could not stop thinking about the hardships he had to endure, the “discrimination and exclusion” when he asked for pastoral leases and land under his name of which he was denied. He knew for reconciliation he had to leave his past behind and progress forward without any doubts.

This “apology” could have been done earlier, but hearing the saddened and pure tone of Hon. Keating gave me second thoughts.

The 3 seconds of silence was all Benny required to say a quick prayer to his ancestors. Slowly he felt himself breathing freely and unclenching his fist, feeling a sense of ease.

Where had time gone, he took a second to look down at his watch as he looked up applauses and laughs filled the air once again. Smiles of his brothers and sisters made Benny feel a sense of contentment and pleasure. He wished he could cherish this moment for as long as he can remember.

“there is everything to gain.
Even the unhappy past speaks for this”

Could us, Aboriginals find solidarity and commit to a common cause of social progression? Could the sceptical non- Aboriginal population celebrate the egalitarian values of Australian society as a justification for his efforts? Could we really close the gap between indigenous and non- indigenous Australian and change for the better as a society? The only way to slowly close the distance of this gap is to display sympathy to the Aboriginal people.

Benny felt a sense of urgency as his heart raced faster and faster, as he turns around to his brothers and sisters to all those equally as moved as the white Australians and the indigenous Australians reconcile, he looks down at his three children and smiles at his wife as he put his arm around her and gives her a kiss as a proud tear rolled down his face and a sweet breeze gushed passed his smiling face full of emotion.

Finally, the light at the end of the tunnel, as they got closer and closer he was greeted by a sparkly look of solicitude in his eyes, the smile was an incarnation of his ecstatic feelings to be a “Proud Indigenous Australian”

And maybe we can achieve this equality he talks about.

“we cannot imagine that we will fail.
And with that spirit that is here today I am confident that we won’t.
I am confident that we will succeed in this decade”

I think you've chosen a unique setting, and I love the way the speech is fragmented to include some plot analysis in there. I think this structure is what is most appealing about your work. There lies room for improvement in the non-speech parts. The writing is very simple, and although pensive questions are asked, there is an opportunity in the expression for more. I suggested the idea of the Australian narrative. I think you could blow this metaphor open to really work in your favour. I think that there could be a voice for wanting Indigenous Australians to be part of the Australian narrative, only to turn around and say, wait on - Indigenous Australians have made up the entire freaking narrative - until very recent times? You could talk about how for such a long time Aboriginal Australia has been seen as just a preface, and then you could talk about who the writer is - how colonised Australia took the pen and forged history and rewrote chapters. But at the end, as the speech ends, there is an agreement to hold the pen together and write history at the same desk, and plan the rest of the narrative together. I think this metaphor would run beautifully through the parts where the speech is not, and it will evoke a lot more emotion. The narrator will be going through a discovery process of their own perception of the way colonised Australia treats Aboriginal Australia, it will evolve as the story goes on and the discoveries will consequently unravel for the reader as well. Of course you don't need to take on this idea - it's just what I think would be most suitable for spicing up the narrator's voice. The writing currently is simple and rhetorical - asking too much of the reader. Whereas with a metaphor, you can be more emotive with the reader and engage in that together.

Let me know what you think... :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

K9810

• Forum Regular
« Reply #565 on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:02 am »
Cool! Well you could work with the setting, perhaps someone reminiscing on their life as they lie in their bed, or something like that? I don't want to suggest anything too specific because like, you writing my idea won't be as effective as you writing your idea for your vision. But try and look metaphorically too - Like, that quote below the image might represent discovering some previously unknown truth? The image is pretty literal, but you can twist the quote to do all sorts of things!

You should also check out this guide Elyse wrote - It covers a few things you should consider when coming up with your Creative ideas - It could help you brainstorm! :)

Thank you! :)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #566 on: March 20, 2017, 08:44:51 am »
If your friend thinks it is too forced, chances are it is too forced. Peers normally have a good intuition for that sort of thing, because as soon as it becomes obvious to them, imagine how obvious it would be to a teacher?

I think describing the notes as colourful would be a little simplistic - Perhaps different sections of the song can carry a different emotional weight and cause recollection of scenes with different colours? Bright colours for happy, dark for sad, something like that? :)

I came to a similar conclusion. Her reasoning was that it was just weird how I was switching between the two art forms and discriminated against the painting. I'm going to have a read of other essays and ask my friends for some suggestions.

I'll see what I can do :)

Cheers, Wales .
Heavy Things :(

yharb

• Adventurer
« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2017, 07:40:30 pm »
I've submitted 15 replies and posted my creative but I'm not sure where to even find it anymore on this page? How do I know if you guys have replied to it yet or not?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #568 on: March 20, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »
I've submitted 15 replies and posted my creative but I'm not sure where to even find it anymore on this page? How do I know if you guys have replied to it yet or not?

You did not do 15 posts, you posted your same creative, fifteen times one after another (I deleted them all) - That's not the 15 replies you need to be eligible for this feedback. As per the essay marking rules (check the link in my signature) you need to be asking and answering questions and contributing to the site.

yharb

• Adventurer
« Reply #569 on: March 20, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
You did not do 15 posts, you posted your same creative, fifteen times one after another (I deleted them all) - That's not the 15 replies you need to be eligible for this feedback. As per the essay marking rules (check the link in my signature) you need to be asking and answering questions and contributing to the site.

So sorry, I wasn't really clear on what to do.