Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 01:17:37 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 209854 times)  Share 

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2017, 03:12:47 pm »
Hello :)
Can anyone help me with a quote for the theme of 'dread' in the 'Boy in The Striped Pyjamas' that has a really effective technique in it?? Im just kinda struggling with it at the moment....

Thanks heaps in advance!!!

harry77

• Adventurer
« Reply #421 on: September 09, 2017, 08:00:09 am »
hello

I need some help finding a related text for romulus My father? Module C exploring interactions

thanks
 ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #422 on: September 10, 2017, 10:05:05 pm »
Accidentally left this practice essay at the last minute and I don't know how to deconstruct it (It's due tomorrow afternoon!!)

The question is 'Any significant discovery has both short and long term effects. To what extent is this view reflected in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing?'

Not entirely sure what to put down for short term effects. My prescribed text is Away by Michael Gow.
Thanks!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #423 on: September 10, 2017, 10:14:12 pm »
+1
Accidentally left this practice essay at the last minute and I don't know how to deconstruct it (It's due tomorrow afternoon!!)

The question is 'Any significant discovery has both short and long term effects. To what extent is this view reflected in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing?'

Not entirely sure what to put down for short term effects. My prescribed text is Away by Michael Gow.
Thanks!

ooh yay i also do away! i can't seem to think of any short-term effects of discovery because everything in away is long-term... it all has an impact for later. orrrrrr you could argue against the question! away is all about long-term effects of discovery, so you can say the short-term effects lead to the long-term, e.g. the box motif (gwen) and the stranger on the shore play, which was created as a result of tom and coral's discovery.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #424 on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:20 pm »
+5

Thanks!

Hey! I don't do your PT so can't help you on that part. Be sure to link to the question throughout your essay. In the intro, you could say sth like "This is explored to a great extent in PT and ORT". Think about discovery in terms of the rubric; was it physical/emotional/intellectual/creative/spiritual? Maybe the short term and long term effects were different in terms of those aspects.

Hope this helps

I also have a Mod C essay due tmr that I haven't started  :-X
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #425 on: September 11, 2017, 01:07:21 pm »
+4
Hello :)
Can anyone help me with a quote for the theme of 'dread' in the 'Boy in The Striped Pyjamas' that has a really effective technique in it?? Im just kinda struggling with it at the moment....

Thanks heaps in advance!!!

Hey! Unfortunately I don't know the text well enough - but are you referring to the book or film? And, can you tell me a bit more about the theme of dread? I haven't seen this explored before! Are you looking for perspectives like, people dreading going into a camp?

hello

I need some help finding a related text for romulus My father? Module C exploring interactions

thanks
 ;D

Hi there :) Maybe I Am Malala? This explores a lot of interactions with environments. I also remember someone a long time ago recommending the song 99 Red Balloons by Nena.

Thanks!

The short term effects could just be the initial stages of realising the long term effects. So, someone might become erratic in discussions about perspectives, or someone might start to show a little more humility. This leads into the later long term effect of altering perspectives and views about the greater society.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mounica

• Trailblazer
« Reply #426 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:31 pm »
guys do you think the poem father and son is a good ort for related material?

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #427 on: September 13, 2017, 06:24:25 pm »
guys do you think the poem father and son is a good ort for related material?

What module/prescribed text?

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:07 am »
Is it better for a mod c exploring transitions essay to have a thesis based on the first part of the elective i.e. context, or have a thesis based on the transitions? Are there questions which would expect you to answer based on  context more than transitioning/vice versa?

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2017, 10:01:26 am »
What module/prescribed text?

My pt is the film Billy Elliot
ATAR Goal 90

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2017, 10:39:46 am »
im planning to have an artwork for my related text for mod a. i have studied this artwork before in art class before. so how do i avoid accidentally turning it into an art analysis?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2017, 11:14:53 am »
+2
Is it better for a mod c exploring transitions essay to have a thesis based on the first part of the elective i.e. context, or have a thesis based on the transitions? Are there questions which would expect you to answer based on  context more than transitioning/vice versa?

I think it really depends on the question - They could bring context/place in society into a question, absolutely. But transitions are always going to play some sort of role, so a Thesis focusing on transitions is probably going to be a safer option! Just make sure you have had practice integrating that contextual element as well :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2017, 11:18:52 am »
+3
im planning to have an artwork for my related text for mod a. i have studied this artwork before in art class before. so how do i avoid accidentally turning it into an art analysis?

Remember that your analysis should always be TEA:

Technique: What visual technique has been used by the composer?
Explain: Why has the composer used it?
Audience: What new understanding does the audience gain, how does the audience react?

I don't know what sort of analysis you would be doing in VA, but if you have these things and no more no less, then you are analysing correctly! ;D

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #433 on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »
Would any of ya peeps know where to find Exploring Transition essay question ? There seem to be too few online.
:3

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #434 on: September 24, 2017, 12:25:09 am »
Would any of ya peeps know where to find Exploring Transition essay question ? There seem to be too few online.

the "into the world" elective is very similar to exploring transitions, so maybe try using those questions but replace words? i can't help you out here, sorry
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW