Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:01:48 pm

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 665259 times)  Share 

maria.micale

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1620 on: December 29, 2017, 07:18:30 am »
Hint: The fact that \(k\) is real means that you can do some rearranging, and then equate the real and imaginary parts. The real parts should give you a quadratic...

Alright thanks heaps Rui!!! I got it an everything now from doing what you said but now Im wondering how would you go about solving that polynomial I had before with complex coefficients where I just subbed in ki where there was a z? Could you tell me how you would solve it because I don't think I have ever tried one with complex coefficients that wasn't a quadratic or quartic that could be reduced to a quadratic.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1621 on: December 29, 2017, 10:04:33 am »

Alright thanks heaps Rui!!! I got it an everything now from doing what you said but now Im wondering how would you go about solving that polynomial I had before with complex coefficients where I just subbed in ki where there was a z? Could you tell me how you would solve it because I don't think I have ever tried one with complex coefficients that wasn't a quadratic or quartic that could be reduced to a quadratic.
Oh, I wouldn't have.

There's no giveaway at all when it's just some arbitrary cubic or quartic. The HSC always gives you some kind of hint to make sure everything else falls out nicely, but in general there's no 'clean' way of solving a quartic whatsoever (try Google searching the quartic formula, it's bizarre).

stesoo

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1622 on: December 29, 2017, 10:49:38 am »
hi i have a question  ;D
how can I prove that (1+sintheta +icostheta)/(1+sintheta-icostheta) = sintheta + icostheta
thank you

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1623 on: December 29, 2017, 11:17:53 am »
+2
hi i have a question  ;D
how can I prove that (1+sintheta +icostheta)/(1+sintheta-icostheta) = sintheta + icostheta
thank you
\begin{align*}\frac{1+\sin\theta+i\cos\theta}{1+\sin\theta-i\cos\theta}&= \frac{1+i\text{ cis }(-\theta)}{1-i\text{ cis }\theta}\\ &= \frac{\text{ cis }\left(-\frac{\theta}{2}\right)}{\text{ cis }\frac{\theta}{2}}\times \frac{\text{ cis }\frac{\theta}{2}+i\text{ cis }\left(-\frac\theta2\right)}{\text{ cis }\left(-\frac\theta2\right)-i\text{ cis }\frac\theta2}\\ &= \text{cis }(-\theta)\times \frac{\cos \frac\theta2+i\sin \frac\theta2 + i \left(\cos \frac\theta2-i\sin \frac\theta2\right)}{\cos \frac\theta2-i\sin \frac\theta2-i\left(\cos\frac\theta2+i\sin \frac\theta2\right)}\\ &= \text{cis }(-\theta) \times \frac{(1+i)\left(\cos \frac\theta2+\sin \frac\theta2\right)}{(1-i)\left(\cos \frac\theta2+\sin \frac\theta2\right)}\\ &= (\cos\theta - i\sin \theta) \times i\\ &= \sin \theta + i \cos \theta\end{align*}
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:19:34 am by RuiAce »

Jeeffffffffffffff

• Adventurer
« Reply #1624 on: December 29, 2017, 01:30:20 pm »
Find constants a,b,c such that the polynomial p(x) = x3-6x2+11x-13 is expressible as X3+aX+b where X=x-c. Hence show that the equation p(x)=0 has only one root.
I found a, b, and c quite easily but unsure of how to show that the equation has only one root?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1625 on: December 29, 2017, 01:46:39 pm »
+1
Find constants a,b,c such that the polynomial p(x) = x3-6x2+11x-13 is expressible as X3+aX+b where X=x-c. Hence show that the equation p(x)=0 has only one root.
I found a, b, and c quite easily but unsure of how to show that the equation has only one root?

You should be well aware of the fact that this is not 4U material as it requires you to pick the values for \(a, b\) and \(c\) yourself, without any guidance whatsoever.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:52:39 pm by RuiAce »

maria.micale

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1626 on: December 29, 2017, 03:10:40 pm »
Hi I am not sure where to begin with these questions.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1627 on: December 29, 2017, 03:39:59 pm »
+1
Deleted materials

The rest should be doable similarly (except maybe part d) - I'm not sure if that requires a different approach but I don't have time to think about it just yet). A remark that for part b), an assumption is made that none of the roots are 0. This won't be necessary for the other parts.

This approach should certainly be adaptable for part d). It is essentially equivalent to performing a \(u\)-substitution, where \(u = \frac1x\), and then working from there.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:41:37 pm by RuiAce »

maria.micale

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1628 on: December 29, 2017, 07:51:25 pm »

You should be well aware of the fact that this is not 4U material as it requires you to pick the values for \(a, b\) and \(c\) yourself, without any guidance whatsoever.

How do we know that p(x-c) is simply a horizontal translation of p(x)?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1629 on: December 29, 2017, 08:02:54 pm »
+2
How do we know that p(x-c) is simply a horizontal translation of p(x)?

And thus, the point \(( x_0, f(x_0) )\) lies on \(y=f(x)\).

Hence, the point \( (x_0+c, f(x_0) ) \) lies on \(y=f(x-c) \).

maria.micale

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1630 on: January 03, 2018, 11:47:10 am »
Hi, I've done part a) and the answer is c = 1/27 a(9b -2a^2) but I really don't understand how to go about b). The answer is C - k = A/27 (9(B-m) -2A^2 ) fixed point has x-coordinate -A/3. Thanks in advanced!!!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1631 on: January 03, 2018, 12:03:17 pm »
+1
Hi, I've done part a) and the answer is c = 1/27 a(9b -2a^2) but I really don't understand how to go about b). The answer is C - k = A/27 (9(B-m) -2A^2 ) fixed point has x-coordinate -A/3. Thanks in advanced!!!
I'll start you off. This certainly involves using part a) somehow.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:05:40 pm by RuiAce »

maria.micale

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1632 on: January 04, 2018, 12:44:22 pm »
I'll start you off. This certainly involves using part a) somehow.

Ok thanks Rui, that makes sense, any further hints?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1633 on: January 04, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »
Ok thanks Rui, that makes sense, any further hints?
So that gives you the weird expression involving \(C-k\) and according to your answers we can stop there. Which is reasonable, because we now have something that links \(m\) and \(k\) together.

The second point is actually the fixed point. If you let the first, second and third points have \(x\)-coordinate \(\alpha-d, \alpha, \alpha+d\), you'll see that \(\alpha = -\frac{A}{3} \)

Jeeffffffffffffff

• Adventurer
« Reply #1634 on: January 04, 2018, 05:46:20 pm »
Use De Moivre’s theorem to express cos5theta and sin5theta in powers of costheta and sintheta. Hence, express tan5theta as a rational function of t where t=tantheta and deduce that tan(Pi/5)tan(2pi/5)tan(3pi/5)tan(4pi/5)=5.

I’ve gotten up to having
Tan5theta= (t5-10t3+5t)/(5t4-10t2+1)
But I don’t really know how I’m supposed to use that to deduce the last line in the question. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.