Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:48:02 pm

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 665366 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1725 on: February 23, 2018, 07:55:47 pm »
+1
Not sure how to continue here...

Normally I'd try to factorise out sqrt{k+1} but it seems to complicate it even more...

Working backwards

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #1726 on: February 23, 2018, 10:06:30 pm »
Hey,

any general types on drawing y=ln(e^f(x)) where a graph of f(x) is provided for you?

also drawing e^ln(f(x))

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1727 on: February 23, 2018, 10:12:06 pm »
+1
Hey,

any general types on drawing y=ln(e^f(x)) where a graph of f(x) is provided for you?

also drawing e^ln(f(x))
That's literally just going to be \( y = f(x) \) in both cases.

(Although the latter has an extra restriction - \( \ln (e^\alpha)= \alpha\) always, but \(e^{\ln \alpha} = \alpha\) only when \(\alpha > 0\), just because of the domain of \(\ln x\) being \( x > 0\))
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:54:47 am by RuiAce »

amaher

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1728 on: February 24, 2018, 02:44:24 pm »
Hi!!! I'm struggling with a conics q about ellipses -
M is the midpoint of PQ where P and Q lie on x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1. O is the centre of the ellipse. Show that the tangents at P and Q intersect on OM produced.
Thank you to anyone that helps!!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1729 on: February 24, 2018, 04:23:51 pm »
+3
Hi!!! I'm struggling with a conics q about ellipses -
M is the midpoint of PQ where P and Q lie on x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1. O is the centre of the ellipse. Show that the tangents at P and Q intersect on OM produced.
Thank you to anyone that helps!!

Note that the intuition to do this was via working backwards. Here, the details in working backwards will be omitted.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:33:48 pm by RuiAce »

kaustubh.patel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1730 on: February 26, 2018, 01:00:09 am »
Hey Rui please help with another conic question if you're free.
Two tangents to the hyperbola 4x^2-y^2=36 intersect at (0,4). Find the coordinates for the point(s) on the hyperbola for this to occur.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1731 on: February 26, 2018, 07:31:28 am »
+1
Two tangents to the hyperbola 4x^2-y^2=36 intersect at (0,4). Find the coordinates for the point(s) on the hyperbola for this to occur.
I'll come back to this with a proper answer in a few hours time. Basically the idea is that you start by just finding the equation of the chord of contact from (0,4), then locating the points of intersection between the chord of contact and the hyperbola

Edit:
\[\text{The usual method to find the chord of contact}\\ \text{can be found in the previous lecture slides.}\]
(Or alternatively in the book.)

Note: The values of \(a\) and \(b\) were obtained because we can only infer them when the RHS of the equation is 1. So the equation of the hyperbola had to be rearranged into \( \frac{x^2}{9} - \frac{y^2}{36} = 1\)

And thus our points are \( \left(\pm\frac{3\sqrt{13}}2,-9 \right) \)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:13:31 pm by RuiAce »

jazzycab

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +19
  • School: WHS
« Reply #1732 on: February 26, 2018, 11:20:54 am »
+2
Let's say that the solution points are at \(\left(\alpha,\beta\right)\ \left(1\right)\). From the equation of the curve, we get:

Secondly, we can find the gradients of the tangents by implicitly differentiating the hyperbola:

Substituting in \(\left(1\right)\) and \(\left(2\right)\) gives the gradients:

The equation of each tangent line is given by \(y_T=m\left(x-\alpha\right)+\beta\). We can subsequently substitute in \(\left(1\right)\), \(\left(2\right)\) and \(\left(3\right)\):

We know that the tangent lines pass through \(\left(0,4\right)\):

Substituting \(\left(5\right)\) into \(\left(1\right)\) gives:

Given that I have squared and square rooted both sides of equations a significant number of times, we will need to check what combinations of \(\left(\alpha,\beta\right)\) are correct. Let's look at the tangent line equation, \(\left(4\right)\), which passes through \(\left(0,4\right)\):

From \(\left(7\right)\) we can see that \(\alpha=\frac{3\sqrt{13}}{2}\Rightarrow\beta=-9\). Now let's investigate for the other \(x\)-value:

Note that \(\left(9\right)\) is identical to \(\left(8\right)\) so it has the same solutions. Thus, \(\alpha=-\frac{3\sqrt{13}}{2}\Rightarrow\beta=-9\). Hence, the two points on the hyperbola whose tangents intersect at \(\left(0,4\right)\) are:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:28:07 am by jazzycab »

kaustubh.patel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1733 on: February 26, 2018, 08:08:18 pm »
 Holy crap me, Jassycab, you broke it down so wonderfully, my only fear is that in an exam i may use the chord of contact method because its a bit simpler but forming a tangent and subbing in the values is pretty darn insightful.

jazzycab

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +19
  • School: WHS
« Reply #1734 on: February 26, 2018, 09:29:52 pm »
+1
Holy crap me, Jassycab, you broke it down so wonderfully, my only fear is that in an exam i may use the chord of contact method because its a bit simpler but forming a tangent and subbing in the values is pretty darn insightful.

We don't look at the chord of contact method in the VCE, so I just used what I could from the VCE Mathematics syallbi

kaustubh.patel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1735 on: February 27, 2018, 09:34:06 am »
Hey maths lovers another conics question if you guys have time.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1736 on: February 27, 2018, 10:52:13 am »
+1
Hey maths lovers another conics question if you guys have time.

i.e. the points \( (1,3) \) and \( (9,3) \).

The length of the major axis is 10, and the length of the minor axis is 6.

For the ellipse, the boundary is pretty much just going to be the ellipse itself.

(Note: We only care about the right-side of the x-axis. The reason we don't care about the left side is simply because there just is no ellipse there.)

More examples of types of problems like part iii)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:58:19 am by RuiAce »

kaustubh.patel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1737 on: February 28, 2018, 11:32:56 pm »
Oh sweet the arg part i can see clearly it's angle made by the x and y axis to the +ve x-axis, the diagram makes it much clear.  I'd like to request help for 2 more questions though, again conics.

kaustubh.patel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1738 on: March 01, 2018, 12:01:40 am »
Oh for question 12 i finally got a sorta solution please advise me if it's a preferable method.

first I prove a^2m^2+b^2=k^2, k is the y intercept of the tangent, (in the attached image)
and simply sub in a= 5, b=4 and m=1 and solve for k to put in eq. y=x+k

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1739 on: March 01, 2018, 12:49:52 am »
+2
Oh sweet the arg part i can see clearly it's angle made by the x and y axis to the +ve x-axis, the diagram makes it much clear.  I'd like to request help for 2 more questions though, again conics.
Just from memory I'm pretty sure you arrived at the best method for Q12. (I remember seeing that \(a^2m^2+b^2=k^2\) thing, or something very similar to it quite a lot.)

\begin{align*}&\quad \frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}\\ &= \frac14 \left[(\sec\theta+\sec\phi)^2 - (\tan\theta + \tan\phi)^2 \right]\\ &= \frac14 \big[ (\sec^2\theta-\tan^2\theta) + (\sec^2\phi-\tan^2\phi) \\ &\quad \quad+ 2(\sec\theta\sec\phi - \tan\theta\tan\phi)\big]\\ &= \frac12 \left[ 1 +\sec\theta\sec\phi-\tan\theta\tan\phi \right]\end{align*}
\begin{align*}&\therefore \frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2} - \frac{y}{b}\\ &= \frac12 (1+\sec\theta\sec\phi-\tan\theta\tan\phi-\tan\theta-\tan\phi)\\ &= \frac12 \left( \frac{\cos\theta\cos\phi+1-\sin\theta\sin\phi-\sin\theta\cos\phi-\cos\theta\sin\phi}{\cos\theta\cos\phi} \right)\\ &= \frac12 \left(\frac{\cos(\theta+\phi) +1- \sin(\theta+\phi)}{\cos\theta\cos\phi}\right)\\ &=\frac12 \left(\frac{\cos \frac\pi2 + 1 - \sin \frac\pi2}{\cos\theta\cos\phi} \right) \\ &= \frac12 \left( \frac{0 + 1 - 1}{\cos\theta\cos\phi} \right)\\ &= 0\end{align*}
\[ \therefore \boxed{\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2} = \frac{y}{b}}\text{ as required.} \]
Note: You are not expected to solve locus problems for the ordinary hyperbola (and ellipse) for the HSC.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:57:02 am by RuiAce »