Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:47:16 pm

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 665270 times)  Share 

Bruh01

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #2070 on: October 24, 2018, 06:49:16 pm »
Hi guys, can anyone explain how to sketch im(z)=|z|. Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2071 on: October 24, 2018, 06:51:50 pm »
+1
Hi guys, can anyone explain how to sketch im(z)=|z|. Thanks

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2072 on: October 24, 2018, 08:00:15 pm »
What are some good time management strategies for the exam? (e.g. how long should I spend on each question, at what point should I move on from a question if it takes too long, what happens if I can't crack Q16)
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2073 on: October 24, 2018, 08:05:03 pm »
+1
What are some good time management strategies for the exam? (e.g. how long should I spend on each question, at what point should I move on from a question if it takes too long, what happens if I can't crack Q16)
For me, 2 minutes blankly staring at a question is enough for me to say screw it for now. Or occasionally even 1 minute is too much. On the other hand, if it's taken me more than 2 minutes but it's because I've been constantly writing, I'd probably say 5 minutes of writing for one part is a healthy cut-off point.

If you can't crack Q16 immediately, too bad. Go back and check your working out for the rest of the paper and make sure you got all your marks there. But then after that, few time management strategies exist if it's only Q16 you have left. Just try to get essentially whatever marks you can get.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2074 on: October 24, 2018, 08:58:38 pm »
+2
hey guys some help here plz
Note that questions before 2001 do not reflect well the difficulty of the current HSC exams. Here are sketch solutions.

i) This is a classic case of recursion. We can split the cases depending on if the first throw was a head or a tail. If the first was a head, we'd still need \(r-1\) heads and \(s\) tails in their appropriate positions, giving \(P(r-1,s)\). And vice versa if a tail was first. Since the probability that the first throw is \( \frac12\) for a head or a tail, we get \( \frac12 P(r-1,s) +\frac12 P(r,s-1) \).

ii) We have \(P(2,3) = \frac12P(1,3) + \frac12P(2,2) \)
For \(P(1,3)\), we need one head before we reach three tails, so we'd have either \(H\), \(TH\) or \(TTH\).
For \(P(2,2)\), we need two heads before we reach two tails, so we'd have either \(HH\), \(THH\) or \(HTH\)

iii) For the induction, the base case at \(n=0\) would consequently imply that \(r+s-1 = 0\). Since \(s \geq 1\), the only case is \( \boxed{r=0, s=1} \). This should thus be an easy check.
Then assume that the statement holds for \(n=k\). This means that it holds for all choices of \(r\) and \(s\) that satisfy the property \(r+s-1=k\). We need to prove it for \(n=k+1\), i.e. all choices of \(r\) and \(s\) that satisfy the property \( r+s-1=k+1\).

If \(r=0\), we have \(s=k+2\). This case should be handled separately, as it should fall out immediately.
Otherwise, \(r \geq 1\) and we can take care of all of those in the one go with the inductive assumption.
\begin{align*}P(r,s) &= \frac12 P(r-1, s) + \frac12 P(r, s-1)\\ &=\frac12 \times \frac1{2^k} \left[ \binom{k}{0} + \binom{k}{1} +\dots +\binom{k}{s-2}+ \binom{k}{s-1} \right]\\ &\quad + \frac12 \times\frac1{2^k} \left[ \binom{k}{0} + \binom{k}{1} + \dots + \binom{k}{s-2} \right]\tag{assumption} \end{align*}
At this point, combine the brackets together, and make use of the property \( \binom{N+1}{K+1} = \binom{N}{K} + \binom{N+1}{K+1} \) and \( \binom{N}{0} = \binom{N+1}{0} = 1 \) to complete the proof of this case. And after this case is proven, the induction is complete.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2075 on: October 24, 2018, 10:02:25 pm »
+1
what are "dividers" in probability?

also thank you for the good luck story on ig. it made me feel calmer :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2076 on: October 24, 2018, 10:47:46 pm »
+2
what are "dividers" in probability?

also thank you for the good luck story on ig. it made me feel calmer :)
Glad it did :)

I've rarely seen the word "divider" come up in probability. Which question did you get that from?

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2077 on: October 25, 2018, 08:50:03 am »
Glad it did :)

I've rarely seen the word "divider" come up in probability. Which question did you get that from?

the question was "there are 10 coins to be placed in 4 boxes with max of 4 in each. find the number of ways this can happen"

and when I asked my friend she used "dividers" so what she did was there are 10 coins and 3 dividers. so 13 objects in total. so it'll be 13!, but since the dividers are identical you do 13!/3! but also the coins are identical so your final answer will be 13!/3!10!

and I don't understand what she did

thank you

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2078 on: October 25, 2018, 08:57:50 am »
+1
the question was "there are 10 coins to be placed in 4 boxes with max of 4 in each. find the number of ways this can happen"

and when I asked my friend she used "dividers" so what she did was there are 10 coins and 3 dividers. so 13 objects in total. so it'll be 13!, but since the dividers are identical you do 13!/3! but also the coins are identical so your final answer will be 13!/3!10!

and I don't understand what she did

thank you
Oh that. Typically that type of question won't appear in the HSC courses, but I have seen it happen. The technique is known as "stars and bars", and some people rename it to "dots and dividers" which basically means the same thing.

The "dividers" serve the role of splitting up where the coins go. For example, you could have something like this: X X X | X | X X | X X X X.
That would be a case of {3 in box 1}, {1 in box 2}, {2 in box 3}, {4 in box 4}.

What she did, was essentially count the number of arrangements of those dots (marked with a cross) and dividers. Which, using our knowledge of letter arrangements, is indeed \( \frac{13!}{3!10!} \).

However, and this is I'd say a huge however and why I don't anticipate this question to be in the exam. The fact that a max of 4 coins can be placed into each box doubles the difficulty of the question. The problem with the \( \frac{13!}{3!10!} \) is that this doesn't cater for that restriction. For a counterexample, an arrangement that would have been counted could've been this: X | X | X | X X X X X X X (1 in the first three boxes, but 7 in the last).

The usual approach to such a problem is to apply the inclusion exclusion principle on the complement. This gives \( \frac{13!}{3! 10!}\) minus number of arrangements when at least one box has 5 in there plus number of arrangements when at least two boxes have 5 in there. But of course, at this point we've gone beyond the scope of the HSC.

Remark: It turns out that if at least 5 are in any one box, then this becomes \( \frac{8!}{3!5!} \) and if there's at least 5 in any two boxes, there's only \( \frac{3!}{3!0!}=1\) case.

Also, I'd recommend not thinking too hard about this the morning of the exam either.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:04:08 am by RuiAce »

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2079 on: October 25, 2018, 09:15:00 am »
However, and this is I'd say a huge however and why I don't anticipate this question to be in the exam. The fact that a max of 4 coins can be placed into each box doubles the difficulty of the question. The problem with the \( \frac{13!}{3!10!} \) is that this doesn't cater for that restriction. For a counterexample, an arrangement that would have been counted could've been this: X | X | X | X X X X X X X (1 in the first three boxes, but 7 in the last).

The usual approach to such a problem is to apply the inclusion exclusion principle on the complement. This gives \( \frac{13!}{3! 10!}\) minus number of arrangements when at least one box has 5 in there plus number of arrangements when at least two boxes have 5 in there. But of course, at this point we've gone beyond the scope of the HSC.

Remark: It turns out that if at least 5 are in any one box, then this becomes \( \frac{8!}{3!5!} \) and if there's at least 5 in any two boxes, there's only \( \frac{3!}{3!0!}=1\) case.

I don't get what u meant by doing the 7 in one box and the "inclusion exclusion principle"

also, there was a similar question that said

"10 people arrive at the airport and there are only 4 counters opened. how many ways can 10 people line up in 4 lane queue?"

and my other friend did since there are 10 people so 10!. and there are 13 spots to put 3 dividers which divides them people into the 4 counters. so she just did 13c3 * 10!

and since its practically the same question as the coins, they both give very different answers. why?

Also, I'd recommend not thinking too hard about this the morning of the exam either.
I know I shouldn't be doing math, but yesterday after bio exam I came home sooo exhausted and couldn't do anything because I was so tired which is making me stressed because I feel like I haven't done enough questions, considering the difficulty of the exams !!!!!!!!!

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2080 on: October 25, 2018, 09:15:35 am »
Hi,
Apparently this is a De Moivre’s theorem question but I can’t seem to get this. Please just give me a hint so I can try it myself. I have tried everything. Also, can you tell me how to approach such questions where it says From this, deduce this. I.e am I allowed to work with the second line, the one we are trying to prove?

Thank you!!!
there is no question attached

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2081 on: October 25, 2018, 09:21:08 am »
+2
I don't get what u meant by doing the 7 in one box and the "inclusion exclusion principle"

also, there was a similar question that said

"10 people arrive at the airport and there are only 4 counters opened. how many ways can 10 people line up in 4 lane queue?"

and my other friend did since there are 10 people so 10!. and there are 13 spots to put 3 dividers which divides them people into the 4 counters. so she just did 13c3 * 10!

and since its practically the same question as the coins, they both give very different answers. why?
I know I shouldn't be doing math, but yesterday after bio exam I came home sooo exhausted and couldn't do anything because I was so tired which is making me stressed because I feel like I haven't done enough questions, considering the difficulty of the exams !!!!!!!!!
The other one - simply put:
1) people are distinguishable but coins aren't, justifying the multiplication by 10!.
2) there's no limit on how many people can line up in each lane, so no inclusion exclusion is necessary.

Essentially, the inclusion exclusion principle is the reason why I would not worry about this question, because it is not an HSC level technique.

(What it does is that it basically helps us count "OR" scenarios, when there's overlaps in the cases.)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2082 on: October 25, 2018, 09:33:07 am »
+1
Essentially, the inclusion exclusion principle is the reason why I would not worry about this question, because it is not an HSC level technique.
thank god!!!!

also, I was looking at your trial handout (thank you for that lecture btw it was an absolute lifesaver!!!! and haha thanks for the chocolates :) ) and I know this is dumb but I can't figure out how you got 4^6 I understood it at the time but now I can't remember what you said

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2083 on: October 25, 2018, 09:36:44 am »
+1
thank god!!!!

also, I was looking at your trial handout (thank you for that lecture btw it was an absolute lifesaver!!!! and haha thanks for the chocolates :) ) and I know this is dumb but I can't figure out how you got 4^6 I understood it at the time but now I can't remember what you said

For the total outcomes, we essentially throw out all the restrictions.

Without restriction, each of the 6 people can choose any of the 4 rooms to stay in. So we have \(4\times4\times4\times4\times4\times4\) (one for each of the six people), which is just \(4^6\)

(Haha glad you enjoyed the chocolate, it's become a known thing at my lectures ;))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:39:15 am by RuiAce »

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2084 on: October 25, 2018, 10:07:35 am »
For the total outcomes, we essentially throw out all the restrictions.

Without restriction, each of the 6 people can choose any of the 4 rooms to stay in. So we have \(4\times4\times4\times4\times4\times4\) (one for each of the six people), which is just \(4^6\)

(Haha glad you enjoyed the chocolate, it's become a known thing at my lectures ;))

ohhh it was 4 choices for each person. that makes sense, thank you!!!!