Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:46:59 pm

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 665270 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #255 on: June 20, 2016, 03:10:27 pm »
Hello!

I think I remember somewhere that one moderator had a small checklist that they went through after completing each question (to check for stuff like units, constants, dxs etc.).

Would you be able to remind me what that is?

Thanks!

In a guide I wrote a while ago I had (and this is what I used):

SURD - Simplest Form, Units, Rationalised, Does it Make Sense?

However, I expanded on it in an article I wrote about the BIG mistakes students make in exams, which you can find here!

Integration has so many little traps, I should probably come up with a new acronym for it! I used SURD because I always forgot units, and I always forgot to rationalise  ;)

EDIT: How about SURDIC? Simplest Form, Units, Rationalised, Does it Make Sense, Integration Notation, Constants? Ahaha  ;D

amandali

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: strathfield
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2016, 03:43:50 pm »
ive found the equation chord for PQ shown below  and    Mpo * Mqo =-1
and im not sure how to progress

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2016, 04:53:38 pm »
+1
ive found the equation chord for PQ shown below  and    Mpo * Mqo =-1
and im not sure how to progress
If this is one of the further questions in the Cambridge textbook then it might not be so easy to do it. These questions do not reflect the difficulty of the HSC (even though they are valid in reflecting question type) as the question is not broken down into parts for you - you have to discover everything yourself.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:58:56 pm by RuiAce »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2016, 05:04:18 pm »
If this is one of the further questions in the Cambridge textbook then it might not be so easy to do it. These questions do not reflect the difficulty of the HSC (even though they are valid in reflecting question type) as the question is not broken down into parts for you - you have to discover everything yourself.

Damn, got about half as far as you did before you posted ;) these ellipse questions can actually be pretty nasty, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with them in 2014  :P

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2016, 05:17:08 pm »
Damn, got about half as far as you did before you posted ;) these ellipse questions can actually be pretty nasty, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with them in 2014  :P
Thing is, when someone asks you a question and it's clearly out of Cambridge 4U, all you have to do is decipher the worked solutions :P

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #260 on: June 20, 2016, 05:38:04 pm »

Thing is, when someone asks you a question and it's clearly out of Cambridge 4U, all you have to do is decipher the worked solutions :P

Okay, sorts it, I need to buy Cambridge Is that kind of the standard 4U text or are there other common ones?

amandali

• Trendsetter
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2016, 06:12:50 pm »
1. the base of a solid is the circle x^2+y^2=8x and every plane section perpendicular to the x-axis is a rectangle whose height is one third of the distance of the plane of the section from the origin. Show that the volume of the solid is v=64π/3 units^3

2.A dome has a circular base of radius=10metres. Cross sections perpendicular to the base and one axis are parabolas who height is the same as the base width. Show that the area of the parabolic cross-sections is 8y^2/3 square metres
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:17:03 pm by amandali »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2016, 06:37:05 pm »
+1
1. the base of a solid is the circle x^2+y^2=8x and every plane section perpendicular to the x-axis is a rectangle whose height is one third of the distance of the plane of the section from the origin. Show that the volume of the solid is v=64π/3 units^3

2.A dome has a circular base of radius=10metres. Cross sections perpendicular to the base and one axis are parabolas who height is the same as the base width. Show that the area of the parabolic cross-sections is 8y^2/3 square metres

Let me know if my handwriting is not legible.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2016, 07:10:18 pm »

(The image makes the Y-intercept look like some number between 3 and 4. Just pretend that it's not there.)

This was a messy question and required some lateral thinking in considering the parabolic cross section in it's OWN X-Y plane. Tell me if something does not make sense.

amandali

• Trendsetter
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2016, 03:41:19 pm »

need help with these ques

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2016, 04:32:47 pm »
(Image removed from quote.)

(Note: The area of any ellipse is πAB, where A and B are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes respectively)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2016, 05:02:20 pm »

The more exhaustive method to integrating cos4(x) is to rewrite as (cos2(x))2, apply the double angle formula, expand the whole thing out, and reapply the double angle formula

katherine123

• Trendsetter
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2016, 01:03:10 am »
how do i do part (i)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2016, 10:35:51 am »
how do i do part (i)

I'll let Rui correct me if this isn't quite 4 Unit friendly, but this is actually very simple if we know the formula for a sphere in three dimensions (x,y,z):

At the cross section, the height above the xy plane (the z-value)  is h, so we can substitute:

What we notice here is that this is actually the formula for a circle. We've just found the formula for the outer circle of the cross section, with that term on the right being the square of the radius like normal. So:

Let me know if this makes sense! And Rui might come along and give a better method, I'm not sure if 3-dimensional surface equations are what would be the normal approach  ;D

katherine123

• Trendsetter
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2016, 11:41:13 am »
how do i do part iii)

i got
Part i) h=[(root3)*a]/2
part ii) ZY=xa/b