Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:35:16 am

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 665221 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1350 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:28 pm »
+2
Could somebody please help me with this one? I'm trying to get an answer independent of a (their answer is sqrt(3)+pi/3). I've tried the substitution x=asinӨ and integration by parts. Any help would be much appreciated :)
Just looking at this I can tell that the answer will not be independent of a, due to the upper bound being unpleasant. Presumably the upper bound on the integral is incorrect and should be \(a\).

Edit: According to Wolfram, if the upper bound is \(a\) then the answer is what's given, except with a minus.

Natmo243

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1351 on: July 21, 2017, 06:58:33 am »
Just looking at this I can tell that the answer will not be independent of a, due to the upper bound being unpleasant. Presumably the upper bound on the integral is incorrect and should be \(a\).

Edit: According to Wolfram, if the upper bound is \(a\) then the answer is what's given, except with a minus.
My teacher and I could only come to that conclusion after changing the limits. It's not often that a mistake exists both in the question and the answer. Thankyou very much!
HSC 2017: English Advanced (85), Maths Ext 1 (80), Maths Ext 2 (70), Chemistry (89)
HSC 2016: Information & Digital Technology VET: 91
4th in state IDT VET
ATAR: 93.60
Currently Studying: Bachelor of Mathematics at UON

limtou

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1352 on: July 21, 2017, 09:16:24 pm »
Hey Rui,

Could you explain why y = log_e (e^x-2) has the asymptote y=x?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:23:53 pm by limtou »
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1353 on: July 21, 2017, 09:21:36 pm »
+5
Hey Rui,

Could you explain why

has the asymptote y=x?

That one isn't easy to explain mathematically. Consider a more intuitive approach

Also, LaTeX doesn't handle it well when you use double spaces.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:23:09 pm by RuiAce »

limtou

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1354 on: July 21, 2017, 09:27:32 pm »
That one isn't easy to explain mathematically. Consider a more intuitive approach

Also, LaTeX doesn't handle it well when you use double spaces.

Thanks!
The latex killed me :( Took me longer trying to get the latex than your explanation (and didn't even get the latex in the end).
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1355 on: July 21, 2017, 10:55:49 pm »
+3
Thanks!
The latex killed me :( Took me longer trying to get the latex than your explanation (and didn't even get the latex in the end).
Tbh, I think if you dropped all the spaces in your LaTeX (except for when splitting some functions up) it would've rendered properly.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1356 on: July 23, 2017, 09:53:02 am »
+1
ok so im getting really close to the answer, using u=x-a substitution, but i can't understand how if f(x) is odd that we treat f(u) as odd) because aren't we technically shifting the function?

p.s. i never really understood dumby variables - rushed lesson so an explanation of anything that answers this would be really appreciated

thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1357 on: July 23, 2017, 10:08:28 am »
+3

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:13:37 am by RuiAce »

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1358 on: July 29, 2017, 09:33:29 am »
why dont we set one person in this and have to reduce the n part by another 1?

usually we say for n around a table it's (n-1)! because we set one person so they aren't the same. why don't we set one here? the answer is (n-4)!4! but what if n=4 then it's 4! and that's not right. is it?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1359 on: July 29, 2017, 10:03:55 am »
+4
why dont we set one person in this and have to reduce the n part by another 1?

usually we say for n around a table it's (n-1)! because we set one person so they aren't the same. why don't we set one here? the answer is (n-4)!4! but what if n=4 then it's 4! and that's not right. is it?

Compare the two cases. When n=4, what actually happens is that we've chosen everyone. This leaves nobody else left to use as, pretty much, a "basis" for the circular arrangement to handle the (n-1)! issue. So we actually have to cater for it manually.

Provided n>4, we have a way around it because there will always be one leftover guy. So as a result of the proof of the (n-1)! result, we address it in pretty much the way(s) explained above.

As far as 4U goes, it would probably have made sense to assume n>4 here. But pretty good point though.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1360 on: July 29, 2017, 10:24:34 am »

Compare the two cases. When n=4, what actually happens is that we've chosen everyone. This leaves nobody else left to use as, pretty much, a "basis" for the circular arrangement to handle the (n-1)! issue. So we actually have to cater for it manually.

Provided n>4, we have a way around it because there will always be one leftover guy. So as a result of the proof of the (n-1)! result, we address it in pretty much the way(s) explained above.

As far as 4U goes, it would probably have made sense to assume n>4 here. But pretty good point though.

OHHHH YEA I FORGOT WHEN YOU GROUP THEM AS 4, they are still treated a just 1 person, so n-3, THEN U SET ONE. ok i see my bad. thanks rui.

Kle123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1361 on: July 29, 2017, 09:09:47 pm »
HI
It is true that (cis(2π/3))3=1 but why isn't it true when both sides are cube rooted? (cis2π/3≠1).
Thankss

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1362 on: July 29, 2017, 09:18:16 pm »
+5
HI
It is true that (cis(2π/3))3=1 but why isn't it true when both sides are cube rooted? (cis2π/3≠1).
Thankss
Simple reason: Cube rooting (or even square rooting) isn't that simple when you're dealing with the complex numbers, as opposed to the real numbers.

Recall when you computed elementary square, cube, fourth, fifth or whatever roots, you couldn't just pick one value of \( \theta\). e.g. To compute the fifth roots of \( i\), you couldn't just get away with \(5\theta = \frac{\pi}2\implies \theta = \frac{\pi}{10}\). You had to do the whole \(5\theta = \frac{\pi}2+2k\pi \) thing.

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1363 on: July 31, 2017, 08:05:00 pm »
Heya, could someone please explain how they found the number of terms? I understand the rest of the question :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #1364 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:36 pm »
+7
Heya, could someone please explain how they found the number of terms? I understand the rest of the question :)
Since we want to find when Alan eventually picks a black jellybean, we need to consider every case.

So, if Alan picks a black jellybean on his first go, it's simply 1/n
3rd go: (n - 1)/n * (n - 2)/(n - 1) * 1/(n - 2), since the first and second times, we don't want the black jellybean.
5th go: (n - 1)/n * (n - 2)/(n - 1) * (n - 3)/(n - 2) * (n - 4)/(n - 3) * 1/(n - 4), same reasoning.

So, we sum this up to get when Alan eventually picks a black jellybean.
P(Alan picks a black jellybean) = 1/n + (n - 1)/n * (n - 2)/(n - 1) * 1/(n - 2) + (n - 1)/n * (n - 2)/(n - 1) * (n - 3)/(n - 2) * (n - 4)/(n - 3) * 1/(n - 4) + ... + (n - 1)/n * (n - 2)/(n - 1) ... * 2/3 * 1/2 * 1

We can actually rewrite this as:
P(Alan picks a black jellybean) = 1/n + 1/n * (n - 1)/(n - 1) * (n - 2)/(n - 2) + 1/n * (n - 2)/(n - 1) * (n - 2)/(n - 2) * (n - 3)/(n - 3) * (n - 4)/(n - 4) + ... + 1/n * (n - 1)/(n - 1) ... * 3/3 * 2/2 * 1
= 1/n + 1/n + 1/n + ... 1/n

How do we know it's (n + 1)/2 terms?
Let's consider each term independently.

Case 1: 1st go -- 1/n
Case 2: 3rd go -- 1/n
Case 3: 5th go -- 1/n
Case 4: 7th go -- 1/n

We can develop a pattern here between the case number and the term we're interested in.
Case n: (2n - 1)th go -- 1/n - This is the general pattern.

Thus, the nth go is:
Case [(n + 1)/2]: nth go -- 1/n

This means that there are (n + 1)/2 terms.

Which means that the probability is (1/n) * (n + 1)/2 = (n + 1)/2n as required.