Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:52:10 pm

Author Topic: 4U Maths Question Thread  (Read 665313 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: 4U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #1485 on: October 21, 2017, 12:32:37 pm »
+5

Hey, how would I do this question?

Cheers
A and D are integrals of odd functions so they are exactly equal to 0.

On the other hand B and C are integrals of even functions. But if we sketch the function being integrated in C we will find that the region is entirely BELOW the x-axis, so the integral is negative.

If you sketch the one for B, that one will always be above the x-axis. Hence that is the correct answer, as the integral will be positive as a consequence of this.

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1486 on: October 21, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »
Hi! Could someone please show me how to prove the triangle inequality? I'm confused about both the geometric and algebraic approaches! Thank you so much :D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1487 on: October 21, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »
+5
Hi! Could someone please show me how to prove the triangle inequality? I'm confused about both the geometric and algebraic approaches! Thank you so much :D
I'm fairly sure there is no algebraic proof that you're expected to know of in 4U. The first time I proved it algebraically was in first year uni after doing some linear algebra in advance. The only thing that can be proven algebraically is the generalised triangle inequality, and even then you have to assume that it's true for 2 complex numbers before you can prove it for n complex numbers.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:50:24 pm by RuiAce »

chelseam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1488 on: October 21, 2017, 08:19:25 pm »
I'm fairly sure there is no algebraic proof that you're expected to know of in 4U. The first time I proved it algebraically was in first year uni after doing some linear algebra in advance. The only thing that can be proven algebraically is the generalised triangle inequality, and even then you have to assume that it's true for 2 complex numbers before you can prove it for n complex numbers.
Thanks so much Rui! ;D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

statues

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1489 on: October 22, 2017, 12:51:42 am »
2001 HSC 5
(c) A class of 22 students is to be divided into four groups consisting of 4, 5, 6 and
7 students.
(i) In how many ways can this be done? Leave your answer in unsimplified
form.

The answer my book gives is 22C4x18C5x13C16
What I don't understand is why this isn't divided by 4! on account of the ways that the same groups can be selected in different orders, but still essentially be the same.
Many Thanks

Ali_Abbas

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1490 on: October 22, 2017, 02:24:33 am »
+5

Algebraic proof of the triangle inequality can be done in two ways.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:56:29 am by Ali_Abbas »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1491 on: October 22, 2017, 09:12:43 am »
+6
2001 HSC 5
(c) A class of 22 students is to be divided into four groups consisting of 4, 5, 6 and
7 students.
(i) In how many ways can this be done? Leave your answer in unsimplified
form.

The answer my book gives is 22C4x18C5x13C16
What I don't understand is why this isn't divided by 4! on account of the ways that the same groups can be selected in different orders, but still essentially be the same.
Many Thanks

This is basically when to not use the identical groups problem I covered in my trial survival lectures.

Selecting the groups in another order was not what caused the problem; it was the actual groups themselves.

Shlomo314

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1492 on: October 22, 2017, 09:57:04 am »
Hi,
When finding the eccentricity for a conjugate hyperbola (y^2/b^2-x^2/a^2=1), is it e^2=1+a^2/b^2 or is it e^2=1+b^2/a^2
Thankyou

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1493 on: October 22, 2017, 10:01:16 am »
+5
Hi,
When finding the eccentricity for a conjugate hyperbola (y^2/b^2-x^2/a^2=1), is it e^2=1+a^2/b^2 or is it e^2=1+b^2/a^2
Thankyou
I always memorised it as this (because textbooks can use multiple conventions and it gets annoying)

So for \(\frac{y^2}{b^2}-\frac{x^2}{a^2} = 1\) it would be \( a^2=b^2(e^2-1) \)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:09:20 am by RuiAce »

Shlomo314

• Adventurer
« Reply #1494 on: October 22, 2017, 11:15:20 am »
Hey Rui

For the 2016 question 9, I dont understand how you did h/4=x/6 with similar triangle method (I saw the 6 from finding the difference of the two lengths but how did you use similar triangles and got 6)?

Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1495 on: October 22, 2017, 11:25:57 am »
+5
Hey Rui

For the 2016 question 9, I dont understand how you did h/4=x/6 with similar triangle method (I saw the 6 from finding the difference of the two lengths but how did you use similar triangles and got 6)?

Thanks

The front view is basically the trapezium itself, and by drawing in that blue line you get triangles and parallelograms appearing. Then, the proportional sides on similar triangles are useful to us. (We know that the triangles are similar as they are equiangular by inspection.)

This is a pretty fairly common technique that I wrote in my book
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:27:50 am by RuiAce »

Shlomo314

• Adventurer
« Reply #1496 on: October 22, 2017, 11:44:08 am »
Hey,
In the mechanics section, more specifically F=ma, how do you know when to include the 'm' when integrating? Is there a difference between 'Resistance' and 'Retardation' where you leave the m or take the m out of the equation?

Thanks

chelseam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1497 on: October 22, 2017, 12:14:13 pm »
+1
Algebraic proof of the triangle inequality can be done in two ways.
Thank you so much! :D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1498 on: October 22, 2017, 12:25:19 pm »
+5
Hey,
In the mechanics section, more specifically F=ma, how do you know when to include the 'm' when integrating? Is there a difference between 'Resistance' and 'Retardation' where you leave the m or take the m out of the equation?

Thanks
Retardation is negative acceleration. Resistance is negative force.

As for the 'm' problem, many textbooks are full of confusion but the HSC usually clears up any disambiguity with whether or not the m is necessary. They will either say "proportional to the velocity/square of the velocity" or "proportional to the mass times the velocity/square of the velocity". So you will know what to do when that happens.

Besides, when in doubt, just look at what they want you to prove. If the m disappears, then the resistive force should be something like mkv. If the m stays, the resistive force should be something like kv.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1499 on: October 22, 2017, 04:35:36 pm »
HELPPP, i can't work out this question. and i am struggling with my reasoning. i have all the principles for Probability, but i can't apply them and im struggling, like in the last question how i didn't see how you didnt arrange them, well it was because it was an arrangement and was set. but now im sturggling with a lot of probability and was wondering how i could brush up or revise - like just arranging things properly or knowing when not to, or when it's just repeats or basic stuff i am over complicating.

i cant do the first part, i would like to attempt the second after you guys give me hints, thankyou.