Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 09:40:28 pm

Author Topic: Communal University Journey Journal  (Read 149496 times)

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
Re: Communal University Journey Journal
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2017, 10:50:37 pm »
+6
11th September 2017

Today is my day off; in fact, I have a whole week of days off because of my mid-semester break (which seems to be for BA students only, could be wrong though).

What did I do in terms of studying or assignments? Not an awful lot, really. I did start my short story assignment for my Writing Fiction unit, so that's something at least.

I'm glad to be doing a degree based on my interests. I love writing, and I have for a long time, so my units are fantastic for me. I'll write more of the story tomorrow, and see where my creativity takes me.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #301 on: September 12, 2017, 03:01:02 pm »
+5
12/9

got H1 on both of the assessments I've submitted this semester :D pretty happy with that since I have no idea what's happening at uni most of the time and I've barely been in class
but I didn't ask for enough days in my special consideration application and handed another in 2 days late and therefore will lose 20%, oops :/ (although in this case it would only be 3 marks because it's out of 15) win some lose some?
missed my tute today because I wasn't feeling so good but I plan to attend another class, is that dodgy? I do that a lot these days

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #302 on: September 12, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »
+3
missed my tute today because I wasn't feeling so good but I plan to attend another class, is that dodgy? I do that a lot these days

I think this is generally acceptable if you clear it with relevant tutors prior? I know sometimes there are capacity issues etc.

Congrats on the H1s! :D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2017, 03:05:46 pm »
+3
I think this is generally acceptable if you clear it with relevant tutors prior? I know sometimes there are capacity issues etc.

Congrats on the H1s! :D

thank you :)
you're right I should probably let both tutors know first

also should have added to my post:
if I've been provided with an extension for something but my special arrangements allow me to have more time (whether I receive the max time or not is at the discretion of the teaching staff) and I think I'm going to need that time, how do I ask for it? :S

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #304 on: September 12, 2017, 03:18:37 pm »
+4
thank you :)
you're right I should probably let both tutors know first

also should have added to my post:
if I've been provided with an extension for something but my special arrangements allow me to have more time (whether I receive the max time or not is at the discretion of the teaching staff) and I think I'm going to need that time, how do I ask for it? :S
I'd probably contact your tutors/lecturers, but as I'm guessing you're registered with UniMelb's equivalent of Disability Support Services, maybe contact the disability adviser as well? :)

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #305 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:35 pm »
+3

At my uni, Swinburne, it's not too big of a deal. As long as you email your tutor, you'll be fine. In my experience, there were times I was late to lectures or couldn't go to tutes last semester. Shooting off an email usually did the trick. I find most teaching staff won't be fussed when you send them an email. It's better to do that, since you'll have been honest with them.

M909

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2017, 04:18:39 pm »
+4
19/9/17

Was having a pretty crappy day today, then found out I got 90% on my macro assignment, despite taking a  completely different approach compared to the suggested solution for one of the bigger questions (got 2.5/3 for it) :) It's really not a big deal, but on days like those I think you've just got to celebrate the little wins
VCE, 2015-2016
BCom (Econ) @ UniMelb, 2017-2019
MCEng (Elec) @ UniMelb, 2020-?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2017, 04:25:28 pm »
+2
19/9/17

Was having a pretty crappy day today, then found out I got 90% on my macro assignment, despite taking a  completely different approach compared to the suggested solution for one of the bigger questions (got 2.5/3 for it) :) It's really not a big deal, but on days like those I think you've just got to celebrate the little wins
Always celebrate the little things!
Congrats on the score! ;D
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #308 on: September 24, 2017, 10:55:39 pm »
+4
24/9
feeling a bit shit because I can't work out how to write H1 essays, or even an essay at all atm (I've been stuck on one for days, wrote barely anything have no idea what's going on -.-)

once I do this I can start my break!!! but I still have heaps of work/lectures/readings to catch up on from the entire semester/all my absences :/ and 2 assignments due in the first week back fml

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #309 on: September 30, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »
+1
29/09

I suck at art. Barely passed assignment 1 for street art. Did assignment 2 the night before it was due using stock images from google, with the least amount of interest. Ended up getting 86. Most surprising thing all year. Grade distribution showed that very few people got H1, which was even more surprising...
Also, trying to juggle interning and uni is kinda stressful but fun at the same time. However, so far nothing seems to surpass sem 2 first year as the most difficult time in my life.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #310 on: October 07, 2017, 02:47:55 am »
+3
7/10
I wrote 3600 words on forests and bushfires and trees and shit in the last 48 hours. hooray for midsem intensives!!!

fun fact: bushfires are an important part of the life cycle of many of australias native plant species and without fire there would be no way for half of the plants to regenerate. for example, some of the trees have heat activated capsules filled with seeds and shit so after a fire the capsule opens and the seed drops into the soil and new trees come to life.  some of the mechanisms that the native tree species use to regenerate after a fire are ridiculous.
You know I thought it would be a boring subject, and when I tell people what we learn about everyone starts yawning but it was basically 1 week of fun facts about Australian forests which is probably the best way to keep someone interested in a subject that only lasts for 6 days of teaching.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #311 on: October 07, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »
+2
felt really grateful for my place at uni this week since I've spent more time in hospital or at the doctor's this semester than in class & I was just walking around campus looking at all the nice spring flowers realising I'm not ready to leave yet even if that's over 1.5 years away

7/10
I wrote 3600 words on forests and bushfires and trees and shit in the last 48 hours. hooray for midsem intensives!!!

fun fact: bushfires are an important part of the life cycle of many of australias native plant species and without fire there would be no way for half of the plants to regenerate. for example, some of the trees have heat activated capsules filled with seeds and shit so after a fire the capsule opens and the seed drops into the soil and new trees come to life.  some of the mechanisms that the native tree species use to regenerate after a fire are ridiculous.
You know I thought it would be a boring subject, and when I tell people what we learn about everyone starts yawning but it was basically 1 week of fun facts about Australian forests which is probably the best way to keep someone interested in a subject that only lasts for 6 days of teaching.

would you recommend that subject? easy enough?????
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:14:33 pm by tashhhaaa »

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2017, 07:25:17 pm »
+1
not sure if i hate uni or hate my work ethic IN uni haha

how common is it for students to do better in 2nd/3rd year etc. than 1st hah -__-
Uni and life

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »

how common is it for students to do better in 2nd/3rd year etc. than 1st hah -__-
Depends I think, I worry my work ethic will die down due to the course getting harder and other commitments like having a job.
But on the flipside, I may get better in future years since I know what the courses want.
I'll get back to you in a few years time to give you a definitive answer.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2017, 07:54:49 pm »
+1
felt really grateful for my place at uni this week since I've spent more time in hospital or at the doctor's this semester than in class & I was just walking around campus looking at all the nice spring flowers realising I'm not ready to leave yet even if that's over 1.5 years away
Sorry to hear you've been ill Tashhhaaa, but this is literally how I feel and I'm only in my first year! :P Undergrad is just going to fly by so quickly.

HasibA, it might be helpful to think about why your work ethic is so poor. Do you not like your course? Lack of discipline, etc.?