Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:57:35 pm

Author Topic: Uni  (Read 1074 times)

xavier.mpatte

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Uni
« on: May 05, 2018, 05:34:25 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a Year 12 student currently studying business studies, SOR 1, english standard, IPT, Design and Technology and General Maths 2. My marks have been pretty average lately :'(, and I've been kinda worried what my ATAR would turn out like. My marks range from A's , B's and C's it just keeps going up and down. I am really aiming for 85 ATAR but with my results I used an ATAR calculator and average 61-70,

Do I still have a chance at trials and HSC exams to bring it up to 85 or is it too late?

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Re: Uni
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 05:55:49 pm »
+1
Definitely. Most half-yearlies are only worth about 20 - 30%, depending on your school. Most of your internal mark is still up for grabs, and of course you have your HSC, which counts for 50% of your mark.

What were your results/ranks after the HY period, if you know them? It might help put things in perspective so that people can help give you more informed advice.
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:47:36 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a Year 12 student currently studying business studies, SOR 1, english standard, IPT, Design and Technology and General Maths 2. My marks have been pretty average lately :'(, and I've been kinda worried what my ATAR would turn out like. My marks range from A's , B's and C's it just keeps going up and down. I am really aiming for 85 ATAR but with my results I used an ATAR calculator and average 61-70,

Do I still have a chance at trials and HSC exams to bring it up to 85 or is it too late?

Hi...

It's also important to note that the marks that you would have been putting into the ATAR calculator were raw marks. As they haven't been moderated/scaled yet, the calculator may not actually be giving you an accurate ATAR prediction. So, of course, in addition to what fkkiwi has already said, you can still get that 85.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 10:29:03 pm »
+1
Hey, welcome to the forums!

Just my two cents as a past HSC student :-)

- First, you have tons of time to improve! There have been many instances of people not doing so well throughout the year, but came out with an 80+ ATAR. It'll be fine - all you have to do is work hard for your goals and you'll get there.
- Second, ranks > marks. As long as you have a decent rank and do well in the actual HSC, you'll be set.
- Third, don't be disheartened by your marks at the moment. You have so much time to improve and you never know what'll happen after the HSC.

All the best!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW