Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:17:57 pm

Author Topic: Subject Enquiry: CICU10002 Culture, Media and Everyday Life  (Read 1014 times)  Share 

Peter_1993

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
For anyone who has completed this subject:

Was it difficult? As someone who loves film and television, this seems like an interesting subject. One thing that puts me off though, is that there are so many assignments, which, at first glance, seems daunting.

One of the assignments is an "advertisement/storyboard/video." What does this usually involve? Although I thrive in the enjoyment and creative aspects of film and television, I have no creativity whatsoever and nor do I know how to utilise Photoshop/Sony Vegas/Final Cut Pro.

Additionally, another assessment is to create a website. I do not know how to create a website, although I could learn, and even then, it would be terrible because I do not know how to create elegant graphics. Is this subject more of a "multimedia" type of subject rather than a subject analysing film and television? If so, it probably isn't for me.

Are there a lot of readings? I just read the subject review on this site and it seems that it has A LOT of readings. How much is a lot? 20 pages a week (I'm not a fan of reading)? And do the lecturers really spew their marxist/sociological ideals onto us during lectures? If so, do we actually need to know what marxism is..because I have no clue, nor do I intend to research/learn the specifics of marxism. I just recently completed Power, which is a compulsory Arts foundation subject, and found it horrid. I can't go through that again.

With that being said, I would really like to do well in this subject - preferably H2A/H1 so any input into the difficulty and aspects associated to this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:38:21 am by Peter_1993 »

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: Subject Enquiry: CICU10002 Culture, Media and Everyday Life
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:40:12 pm »
As boring as I found it, it's easy. I got a 95.
And there is continuous assessment which makes it look like a lot, but the blog is easy to complete and you can talk about anything and relate it to the lecture content.
I'm pretty sure (unless they've changed it) the advertisement/storyboard stuff is optional - you do either that OR an essay of 1500 or 2000 words, unsure which. That goes for both the midterm and final assessment...I chose essay for both. Hardly anyone did a creative piece.
The readings are a lot, and you actually have to do some of them every week (unlike other Arts subjects where you end up being able to skip some) because you need to include some of the stuff they talk about, vaguely, in your blog. But they're not non-doable, just a pain. But keep in mind this is me talking, and I don't leave my desk during the semester anyway.
And yes, you do end up listening to a lot of political theorism oriented bullshit because it's an Arts subject and that is what occurs in those subjects, especially ones about consumerism and the media.   If you like film and television, you will probably enjoy it somewhat. I only took it because it was a prerequisite for my then course.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM