Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:40:22 pm

Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek Australia  (Read 14293 times)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: Beauty and the Geek Australia
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »
My friends tell me I should go on the show. I don't know whether it's a compliment or an offense. I guess one could have a very good time in there though. :P
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

ellaa81

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +24
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 01:01:53 pm »
I know of one of the beauties and can assure you what you see is exactly like what she's like in real life, although she stands out as one of the smarter ones haha.
All the same I definitely don't disagree with everything on here about them being molded into the typical beauty or geek, and I'm sure they're told to act in certain ways. All they have to do is catch a one of the beauties slip up and say a silly comment on camera once and they'll edit it in a way that makes them look as dumb as possible.
2012 ATAR: 96.40 - Psychology [50] Health and Human Development [45] ~ 2013: B.A - University of Melbourne

CONNECT EDUCATION

Tutoring VCE Psychology at State Library/Eastern suburbs :) Please feel free to PM!

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 07:09:21 pm »
I don't usually watch this show, but this appeared on Reddit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYogebRxlw0
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 05:39:18 am »
Goddamn stupidest show I have ever seen in my life.

Clearly never seen american TV then...

Exhibit A:

Also the geeks are totally moulded too, you can tell they've been told what to wear and to grow beards, etc to look more nerdy.. Most of the things they say aren't even that smart and just make them look like they're trying too hard to look smart or act dorky..

Gilbert from beauty and the geek actually goes to monash, i've seen him around uni a few times. Someone posted in the comments section of some website they made him grow that horrible beard and gave him a wardrobe to wear. I didn't (and don't) watch the show but apparently his geek cred was having a double degree. Might be geeky to the public but for most of us, thats just kind of normal.

I don't think that there is anything necessarily wrong with the show.

It's reality in the same sense a Brittney concert or a magic show is reality. They're not actors, in that sense its real. Doesn't mean it isn't creatively edited to portray a certain story or they put activities that are likely to cause these things. Normal isn't interesting, sometimes we just want something outlandish and over the top like this because its so unlike real life. It's nothing worse than a magic show or a Brittney concert (musical talent aside).

I think they've tried having one or two female geeks and one or two male hotties before but i could be wrong. I just don't think it sells as well as a geeky, supposedly basement dwelling dude though.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »
his geek cred was having a double degree.

*Insert awesome Monash v UoM joke, because UoM doesn't offer double degrees.*
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 12:54:03 pm »
Yeah I know one of the guys he was in the year above me in high school. From what I've been told they told him to grow a beard and such, also I don't think he needs to wear those goggle things all the time lol He never wore glasses or anything in high school... unless it's for the geek look, but im not entirely sure. It's a crap show lol all scripted imo.

#1procrastinator

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »
I hate it. As a karate expert, I can tell you that the show is too damn fake.

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:49 pm »
I just found out I have one of Chontelle's best friends on Facebook. Kept wondering who the fuck this Chonny person was on her statuses. I was like how does she know machonny
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.