Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:17:03 am

Author Topic: VCE Maths Methods Exam 1 - 06/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions  (Read 19845 times)

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
Re: VCE Maths Methods Exam 1 - 06/11/19 - Discussion/Questions/Solutions
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2019, 05:06:28 pm »
Does anyone know how to do the last question without just guessing??

As mentioned earlier, there is a YouTube video of somebody going through the exam (and getting the correct answers).
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHez9AzvOCw
It’s called worms maths academy.
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2019, 06:40:27 pm »
+1
If you want an echo chamber of 'this was the hardest exam ever omfg' check out VCE Discussion space instead. I provided my perspective for those here who want a realistic understanding of where they stand.

QFT. Of course for people just coming out of the exam, which can be a very stressful experience, it can feel like a very difficult exam, and you can disproportionately focus on the questions you didn't answer (or struggled to answer) rather than all those questions you answered successfully. But I agree that a more objective appraisal of this exam would say that it was of quite reasonable standard, with a well calibrated difficulty curve from the first to the last question. There were a few questions which seemed to be checking more for "good intuition" rather than sharp technique, but altogether not too bad.

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2019, 06:53:16 pm »
QFT. Of course for people just coming out of the exam, which can be a very stressful experience, it can feel like a very difficult exam, and you can disproportionately focus on the questions you didn't answer (or struggled to answer) rather than all those questions you answered successfully. But I agree that a more objective appraisal of this exam would say that it was of quite reasonable standard, with a well calibrated difficulty curve from the first to the last question. There were a few questions which seemed to be checking more for "good intuition" rather than sharp technique, but altogether not too bad.

So what would you say the A+ cutoffs would be?
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

S_R_K

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2019, 06:55:29 pm »

So what would you say the A+ cutoffs would be?

I doubt it'll be as high as 2015, but probably higher than the last couple of years. 35–36, most likely.

S_R_K

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2019, 07:01:42 pm »
METHODS EXAM 1 SOLUTIONS

How did we all go?

Nice job.

I have one suggestion for Question 7, which allows one to bypass all the fiddly calculus / algebra.

It is a fact of geometry that the largest triangle, by area, that can be inscribed in a circle is equilateral. From this it immediately follows that the coordinates of P which gives the largest triangle is (1/2, sqrt(3)/2), and from this the area is easily calculated to be 3sqrt(3)/8.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2019, 07:20:33 pm »
+5
I went through the exam and as past students have said and what some students have told me I thought it was a really standard methods exam 1. I don't think there were any questions that needed you to think outside the box for e.g. cone of death (2010) or 2016 question 8.

Common mistakes I see occurring would be:
Potential mistakes
Q1) Forgetting to x = 1 for part b
Q2) Giving the final answer as y= not f^-1 =
Q5) Asymptotes not drawn properly (graphs need to be not touching asymptotes, not curving away etc)
Q8) Forgetting to find a dilation factor for the equation (e.g. only looking at the x-intercepts to find the equation of the graph)
Q9) part f - possibly students trying to solve for a solution. More brute force and uneloquent methods probably works best for this one by graphing the equations approximately.

However, understanding students did this in exam conditions I don't think the A+ cut-off will be ridiculously high. I would expect something like 36-36.5/40.

For exam 2:
I thought the probability/stats section was not covered well in exam 1 with just 6 relatively easy marks available there. So I would expect in exam 2 there will be a big extended question on this. Obviously you should also get your usual extended questions on functions/calculus.
Also if you didn't do too well on this exam remember that exam 1 is worth 22% of your final study score (your sacs are worth more than 1.5 times that (34%)). Also doing well on exam 2 is generally also more beneficial given the marks are usually distributed for the exams (e.g. less people scoring really high on exam 2's).

Good luck!

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2019, 08:18:16 pm »
+2

I would expect something like 36-36.5/40.

Having done some further discussions with students and the company I work for, I'd agree that this is probably the most accurate cut off prediction.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash