Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:51:47 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4790205 times)  Share 

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #16710 on: December 19, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »
Heya everyone,

I'm trying to enrol into a level 1 breadth but I can't. I am in third year next year, and have space for one more level 1 breadth. I've contacted the student help people and they told me to fill out this form which I tried doing today but it seemed as if the form was for people who wanted to overload. I'm not overloading, I am allowed to do one more level 1 breadth (have only done two). Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Thank you :D
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Paulrus

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #16711 on: December 19, 2016, 04:55:49 pm »
+1
Heya everyone,

I'm trying to enrol into a level 1 breadth but I can't. I am in third year next year, and have space for one more level 1 breadth. I've contacted the student help people and they told me to fill out this form which I tried doing today but it seemed as if the form was for people who wanted to overload. I'm not overloading, I am allowed to do one more level 1 breadth (have only done two). Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Thank you :D
I had this problem at the start of this year when I had 9 level 1 subjects (2 as breadth) and wanted a 10th but the study plan was being a dick and not letting me. Eventually I ended up going to Stop 1 and they sorted it out after a lot of confusion lol.
Is the form an Enrolment Variation Form? If so then you can submit one of those for stuff other than overloading - that'd probably do the trick if you explain in your form that you want to enrol in a certain subject and haven't exceeded the level 1 breadth limit but study plan is stopping you. But yeah if that doesn't work then Stop 1 should be able to sort you out.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) at University of Melbourne.

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #16712 on: December 19, 2016, 09:43:59 pm »
Hiya, I know it's really early, but does anyone have lecture slides for BIOM30001, PATH30001 or MIIM30002 that they'd be kind enough to share? :) Thank you!
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]
My Indo Advice Thread :)

Tutoring for Methods in 2020.
Click here for more info

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #16713 on: December 21, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »
I had this problem at the start of this year when I had 9 level 1 subjects (2 as breadth) and wanted a 10th but the study plan was being a dick and not letting me. Eventually I ended up going to Stop 1 and they sorted it out after a lot of confusion lol.
Is the form an Enrolment Variation Form? If so then you can submit one of those for stuff other than overloading - that'd probably do the trick if you explain in your form that you want to enrol in a certain subject and haven't exceeded the level 1 breadth limit but study plan is stopping you. But yeah if that doesn't work then Stop 1 should be able to sort you out.
Thanks a lot mate appreciate it!
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #16714 on: December 24, 2016, 12:23:05 am »
+1
have any of you done the LSAT???

if so, do you think it's worth picking up some arts units to practise essay writing etc? (I haven't written a proper essay since the English exam in 2015 so if that's any indication, I'm pretty rusty...)

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #16715 on: January 02, 2017, 07:13:01 pm »
How big are summer classes usually (lectures and tutes) for a subject like Business Finance or OB?

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #16716 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:04 pm »
+1
How big are summer classes usually (lectures and tutes) for a subject like Business Finance or OB?
bus fi last summer completley filled that massive 2 story lecture theatre in the law building and there were alot of tutorial streams with 20ish kids

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #16717 on: January 03, 2017, 12:17:26 am »
bus fi last summer completley filled that massive 2 story lecture theatre in the law building and there were alot of tutorial streams with 20ish kids

Wow, thanks. I didn't expect that at all tbh.

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #16718 on: January 03, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
Anyone who has done summer subjects before, do you know when the exams are?

On the handbook entry for my subject it says the teaching period ends the 17th of Feb, so is this when the exam is? Need to know to plan out some holiday stuff.

momos29

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16719 on: January 03, 2017, 10:24:59 pm »
What is the realistic WAM required for entry Masters? Is it higher than the 65 minimum?

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #16720 on: January 03, 2017, 10:52:14 pm »
What is the realistic WAM required for entry Masters? Is it higher than the 65 minimum?
not in uni, but isnt 75 to 80 recommended? idk tho
Uni and life

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #16721 on: January 04, 2017, 01:03:21 am »
For medical school we got sent an email with some pre-reading to do regarding the background knowledge in anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. Given no specific references were provided, what should I take a look at before starting? In particular, are things covered again or do they really assume that we are on top of everything? If so, I've got a tonne of work to do haha. Thanks for the help. :)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #16722 on: January 04, 2017, 01:22:04 am »
+1
For medical school we got sent an email with some pre-reading to do regarding the background knowledge in anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. Given no specific references were provided, what should I take a look at before starting? In particular, are things covered again or do they really assume that we are on top of everything? If so, I've got a tonne of work to do haha. Thanks for the help. :)

Maybe have a look at Phys if you're struggling to remember shit there, but otherwise don't worry. The anatomy is overwhelming at first, but you get into a rhythm fairly quickly and they seriously don't assume knowledge (other than that you'll remember terms like aponeurosis, raphe etc, which you can just google as you come to them). There's also no point doing any biochem pre-reading. They don't assume anything and it's really well taught (that seemed to be the consensus, not just because I have a biochem background).

Phys is the only area where they actually assume stuff and to be perfectly honest, even so you find that it all sort of clicks back into place after a while. All the other stuff is started from scratch.

Also, they'll give you four tests at the start of the year to do if you want. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem and Cell Biology. They're basically there to show you what you need to read up on. Nearly everyone fails them and very few actually bother to do any catch up because by the time they start they're already overwhelmed by week one. And seriously, it's not a problem.

MD1 is a huge year. Just enjoy your holidays and get hyped for med school :D
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #16723 on: January 04, 2017, 01:59:35 am »
+1
Anyone who has done summer subjects before, do you know when the exams are?

On the handbook entry for my subject it says the teaching period ends the 17th of Feb, so is this when the exam is? Need to know to plan out some holiday stuff.
if teaching period ends 17th feb then the exam period will begin monday the 20th. the lecturers themselves dont know yet what day/time in this exam period the exam will happen, could be the 20th could be the 28th

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #16724 on: January 04, 2017, 01:39:33 pm »
Maybe have a look at Phys if you're struggling to remember shit there, but otherwise don't worry. The anatomy is overwhelming at first, but you get into a rhythm fairly quickly and they seriously don't assume knowledge (other than that you'll remember terms like aponeurosis, raphe etc, which you can just google as you come to them). There's also no point doing any biochem pre-reading. They don't assume anything and it's really well taught (that seemed to be the consensus, not just because I have a biochem background).

Phys is the only area where they actually assume stuff and to be perfectly honest, even so you find that it all sort of clicks back into place after a while. All the other stuff is started from scratch.

Also, they'll give you four tests at the start of the year to do if you want. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem and Cell Biology. They're basically there to show you what you need to read up on. Nearly everyone fails them and very few actually bother to do any catch up because by the time they start they're already overwhelmed by week one. And seriously, it's not a problem.

MD1 is a huge year. Just enjoy your holidays and get hyped for med school :D

Wow, thank you very much - both for the detailed reply and for the good news! :D

To be honest, physiology wasn't the one I was worried about: it was definitely my strongest out of the three in second year, and it ties in with my major from Biomedicine. In comparison, my recall of second year anatomy is not great and I barely remember anything from biochemistry at all. Since you reckon it's not necessary to do that much, I'll probably hold off on reviewing all of that content in the remaining weeks of these holidays. Instead, I was thinking of maybe just doing some light reading over my notes from second year now. In particular I'm thinking I should probably leaf through my biochemistry notes from BIOM20001 and maybe the anatomical principles content from BIOM20002 (i.e. the part before we delved into systems anatomy where we had to learn all the structures). It might just help me get back into the rhythm of studying again, and if I get stuck at least I might have a rough idea of where I can go for further information. Do you think that's about right, or still way too much?
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne