Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 02, 2024, 02:35:29 am

Author Topic: Regular Punters Thread  (Read 5531 times)  Share 

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Regular Punters Thread
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:29:31 pm »
Is anyone here a regular punter on sports as well?

I generally bet on tennis whenever there is a tournament on, as well as some other sports like soccer, AFL, wherever there are good odds.

Does anyone else here bet on a regular basis as well, just thought I'd start a thread to talk about odds, what we think are good bets...etc.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Regular Punters Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »
I bet on soccer if that counts, that said, i've had friends who have made insane amounts of cash off tennis.

It looks like Williams will win the open.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:44:40 pm »
I just find that I tend to even out over time, have winning streaks and losing streaks.

Anyways, I've pretty much quit betting for now :( - just because it's too hard to actually win big :P

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:39:19 pm »
Who do you guys bet with? I've been on sportingbet recently. It's not bad since I can easily fund the account with paypal.

I must admit that Tom Waterhouse has good ads but no paypal == no customer for me.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:04:22 pm »
+2
Who do you guys bet with? I've been on sportingbet recently. It's not bad since I can easily fund the account with paypal.

I must admit that Tom Waterhouse has good ads but no paypal == no customer for me.

Sportingbet has terrible odds and annoying/dodgy withdrawal/deposit restrictions. I rarely bet, but when I do it's with centrebet.

GAMBLE!
Responsibly.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »
+5
Happy to say that I've never bet before :) You'd probably lose more than you win, well that's what I think.
Bloody Tom Waterhouse ads are terribly infuriating to watch! haha hate them so much.

marr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »
Bloody Tom Waterhouse ads are terribly infuriating to watch! haha hate them so much.

Couldn't agree more! Tom doesn't seem to know anything does he ...  >:(

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:00:25 pm »
+4

The first time I saw em I couldn't help but crack up laughing. "I wasn't born to win a major"...."I don't know how they serve an ace on break point"..."I don't know how they take the big hits, and keep going", etc. Not that I support his operation, but I don't mind his ads because at least TW put some effort into them (which makes it more enjoyable than these lame ass bet365 ads).

• Tom’s filmed in black and white. This is both a nostalgic hat tip to the history of bookies and his family lineage. This helps crystallize Tom’s agency’s link with the past (waterhouse = royalty of australian horse racing).
  • Tom is talking. There’s no voice over.  Tom is talking to you one on one in a direct yet inviting tone.
  • It’s Tom. Tom is the face of his betting agency. Other betting agencies are faceless corporates.
  • Increase your betting IQ is the Tom Waterhouse tagline. Again, this talks directly to the inherent uncertainties that the betting market has. Tom releases regular videos (which I find hilarious - picture him in his suit in a small room full of computers, nervously announcing the big bets of the day http://youtu.be/uw1yU0OHbWU)
  • First Past the Post. This is Tom Waterhouse’s point of difference. He will pay out instantly on whichever horse pasts the post first – regardless if any protests are lodged. And if a lodged protest is upheld, he will pay out on that horse too.

Not that any of the above means much to an intelligent punter (him having inside knowledge in theory would make HIM better off, not the customer, right?), but see how he has at least made an attempt. But he is risking a lot by basing the agency around himself. What if a scandal? Yes having Tom as the face of the brand is a plus. But with every plus, there’s also a downside. Tom Waterhouse and Tom Waterhouse betting are 100% linked.  If there’s a scandal, like it or not either the Tom Waterhouse persona or the Tom Waterhouse agency will be tarred with the same brush. Tom therefore has to ensure that all his dealings are squeaky clean.

If I'm gonna lose my money, I'd rather have a laugh and give it to this guy:

than her:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:18:56 pm by MJRomeo81 »
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »
+1

I also use paypal, so, i know the feeling man.

You want the absolute best odds possible though, even if there is a 0.05 difference, it can still matter heaps (take a look at this calculator).

This is a little something i whipped up during the Europa league:

Take away from it what you will.

If you want variety sportsbet certainly has it, the others don't have nearly as many games and options. The odds are fairly poor but the interface is nice. Free withdrawals and no hassle getting money in either.

Right now, i'm using Bet365. It has an even larger variety and usually rhe odds are a bit better. I think this is because even though they're licensed in Australia, its pretty much a clone of their UK site and i guess you get better odds in the UK. I didn't know this untill i went to take money out but you only get one free withdrawal a month, the rest incur a pretty decent fee considering its wired from overseas (UK).

If you want the absolute best odds though, use pinnacle sports. They have the lowest edge out of any bookmaker i've found. On the miraculous chance you become very successful and constantly win, they won't throw you out like most other bookmakers can and will (its in the contract you read, really, go check, "we reserve the right to close your account if it becomes unprofitable"). The variety is a little smaller. So are the betting options. You can't do weird bets like who will score the 5th corner or try guessing the exact score. It's mainly who will win (AKA 1x2).

These guys did a much more comprehensive review, averaging out a lot of matches, across a lot of sports and pinnacle came out ontop - http://www.aussportsbetting.com/betting-agencies/ .

It's a bitch to get money in though. I had to sign up for a skrill/moneybookers account, wire money to that account (took like a week) and then log into skrill and send it to pinnacle. They also don't offer multibets very often, i like multi's, so thats a bit of a problem. They also don't usually offer draw no bet (aka if your chosen team doesn't win, they refund your bet) on soccer which i also find disappointing. Overall though, by far the best odds (usually - they tend to be more cluey than other bookmakers, so, if the odds are overpriced, they will be lower compared to most, these guys deal with millions a day according to wikipedia).

You'd probably lose more than you win, well that's what I think.

This is true, even if it isn't personally true in your experience yet, you should act like its true anyway.

If you want to make money, i hear a job is a much better choice.

These guys hire actuaries to do their odds (as in the mathematical whizzes). All their odds are designed so they make a profit in the long run, regardless of which bets win or lose. Same with insurance companies and their acturaries, sure, they might have to pay out big claims every once and awhile but their prices are tipped so they always profit anyway. You won't beat these guys in the long run, its almost certain you wont anyway.

If you bet more than once every couple months (even once a month or something), i highly recommend you actually keep track of what you're spending. The betting comapnies dont want you reminded of how much you've lost and when. Thats why their betting history is so poor and doesn't have total profits, etc.

Get on this - http://www.aussportsbetting.com/tools/betting-tracker-excel-worksheet/ If you take away one thing or learn one thing, its use this.

Also fuck the italian team... I almost made $275 from $10.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:14:28 pm by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »
ITT: Kingpomba being a beast
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️