Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:49:20 pm

Author Topic: Religion and Society: Catholic Tradition - Resources + Advice  (Read 6403 times)  Share 

mufuzza

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Religion and Society: Catholic Tradition - Resources + Advice
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:29:45 am »
Please feel free to add on and just provide some advice for future students
 +++++ if you find any resources particularly for the Catholicism, please post  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:38:24 am by mufuzza »

mufuzza

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Religion and Society: Catholic Tradition - Resources + Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:36:13 am »
+1
For revision we did:
- the 8 aspects of a religion: fill in all the information you know on a large poster, connect everything together
- there WILL be an image you have to respond to on the exam: practice; particularly on cartoons
- practice practice practice exams
   - make sure u remain objective!! don't preach the word
- Summarize the tradition in your own words, what it means, main beliefs, aims, some problems, rship to society [this starts putting things in perspective]

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 04:13:08 pm »
Study past SACs, checkpoints is alright but i didnt find as helpful. Have at least 2 quotes per aspect. O yea this might not be as helpful now but you can listen to light fm i forgot what times (either late around 10 or early in morning) but they have Catholic Religion Session where they incoporate the Catholic Tradition in real life such as issues (helps with contemporary challenges) also you get to used to the language styles which is pretty good.

jaja

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:27:29 pm »
hey does anyone know any good material for text and tradition... LIke there's books for chem and bio...but nothing for text.. and there isn't any lectures... i can't just rely on my teacher for resources.. can anyone help me out???? and i don't even get teh study desiign ..wat's it all about?????
VCE Year 11 08'
Religion and society: 40

VCE Year 12 09'
English
Buisness Management
Biology
Chemistry
Maths Methods

Hoping for a 95+

squance

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:34:40 pm »
+1
 +++++ if you find any resources particularly for the Catholicism, please post  ;D

I did some study on Catholicism. Is this a Unit 1/2 subject or 3/4 subject because I remember only studying either unit 1 or 2 of Religion and Society....wait...or was that unit 1/2 texts and traditions?

I should have some resources on catholicism. I;ll try and find my old stuff.

hey does anyone know any good material for text and tradition... LIke there's books for chem and bio...but nothing for text.. and there isn't any lectures... i can't just rely on my teacher for resources.. can anyone help me out???? and i don't even get teh study desiign ..wat's it all about?????

I did texts and traditions. I rememeber my school went to a texts and traditions revision lecture weeks before the exam. Only $5 entry.
I can possibly help you out but it depends on what you are studying (because different schools study different books...eg: One school may study the gospel of Luke while another may study something totally different).
We studied the gospel of Luke and our school loaned out to the people in the class two books: One book was a commentary on the book of Luke and another was about the culture that was apparent around the time Luke was written.

jaja

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:11:33 pm »
oh k.. well im doing Islam, is there any lectures of text and tradition islam???? i don't think there is... so how did u study throughout the year.. did u just use the 2 books the school gave you?? anything extra... did the teacher give you any hints on how to write the exam..ect..ect...btw.. wat did u get???

I did some study on Catholicism. Is this a Unit 1/2 subject or 3/4 subject because I remember only studying either unit 1 or 2 of Religion and Society....wait...or was that unit 1/2 texts and traditions?

I should have some resources on catholicism. I;ll try and find my old stuff.

I did texts and traditions. I rememeber my school went to a texts and traditions revision lecture weeks before the exam. Only $5 entry.
I can possibly help you out but it depends on what you are studying (because different schools study different books...eg: One school may study the gospel of Luke while another may study something totally different).
We studied the gospel of Luke and our school loaned out to the people in the class two books: One book was a commentary on the book of Luke and another was about the culture that was apparent around the time Luke was written.
VCE Year 11 08'
Religion and society: 40

VCE Year 12 09'
English
Buisness Management
Biology
Chemistry
Maths Methods

Hoping for a 95+

squance

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:31:11 pm »
+1
Have a look at this link:
http://www.vattt.vic.edu.au/

Im not sure if it has any Islam stuff.
There might be some lectures on Islam. For 2008 it said something like "A session will be arranged for late September for students of the Jewish and Islamic texts. More details soon. " But entry to these lectures requires that a teacher be witht the group of students...so maybe ask your teacher if she/he is part of that teacher's association in the link above.

How I studied?
Well, for each of the set chapters, my teacher would cut the chapter into smaller portions, photocopy them into larger print then hand out these to the class. She would then proceed to pick out significant phrases or words, explain their significance then we would copy what she wrote up on the board.
Sometimes if the teacher was lazy, we would have to find out the significance of the words by ourselves.

We usually read each set chapter in class together...so one person would read out loud a few verses then another person would read out some verses.

I didn't just use the two books the school lent to us. I found other books in the library (such as Bible concordance...(at least I think that's whats its called) and used internet resources.

How I studied? Reading and rereading the set chapters, reading the 2 books the school gave us and doing some research.
To be quite honest, the way I studied was atrocious. Not good.

I recommend making a heap of summary cards throughout the year - I think that's a more active way of learning then just reading stuff over and over again.

Um...
I can't really remember what hints the teacher gave us on how to write in the exam (at this moment, all I can think of in relation to her is her reading the newspaper and doing crosswords while everyone is reading the Book of Luke). I should have a sheet somewhere that has exam tips in relation to Texts and Traditions. I'll go and try to find it when I finish my Linear Algebra. If I don't post it up within the next few days, feel free to PM me a reminder.

My final study score?
A+ A A = 37 unscaled.

The teacher was somewhat biased when marking my sacs. I hated the way some people would bring a fully written up sac, go near the back of the classroom and hide behind some computers and copy from their mastercopy. I also hated the way some people would write stuff inside their Bibles such as what they are going to write in the sacs. Weiners.

kdgamz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:04:33 pm »
... and couldn't trust the teacher..
lol  ;D