Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:42:14 am

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 4795 times)  Share 

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Confused
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:41:44 pm »
Hi. Does anybody mind Eplaining to me what this all means?
http://www.bcom.unimelb.edu.au/apply/entry-requirements.html

Whats the difference between "clearly in atar" and "guarenteed atar"

It says that: This is an indicative score only, and changes each year according to the number of places available, the number of applicants and the quality of their applications.
Then it says: If students achieve an ATAR or notional ATAR of 95.00 or above and satisfy the course prerequisites, they will be guaranteed a place in the BCom.

So is an Atar of 95.00 guarenteed to get into Commerce at melbourne next year? Thanks for replies

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
  • School: Melbourne Girls College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »

It says that: This is an indicative score only, and changes each year according to the number of places available, the number of applicants and the quality of their applications.
Then it says: If students achieve an ATAR or notional ATAR of 95.00 or above and satisfy the course prerequisites, they will be guaranteed a place in the BCom.

So is an Atar of 95.00 guarenteed to get into Commerce at melbourne next year? Thanks for replies

"2013 Guarenteed ATAR" means the ATAR you should aim for this year to get into this course but it can change slightly
"2012 Clear-in-rank" means the ATAR requirement of last year
2012: Bio | Chem| Spesh | Methods | ESL | Vietnamese
2013-2016: BActuarial studies/BCommerce @ ANU

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »
Oh ok. I know that theres no way to know exactly what next year's clearly in is...but what would be the absolute max it could be?
Is there any records of past years' clearly ins were? So i can compare..

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »
It varies. I know I wanted to do Science at Melb, which had a clearly in in the 80's, i think it was around 87-88 for a few years. This year its 90-91.
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:23:21 pm »
It varies. I know I wanted to do Science at Melb, which had a clearly in in the 80's, i think it was around 87-88 for a few years. This year its 90-91.

How can I check the clearly ins for past years?

max payne

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »

"2013 Guarenteed ATAR" means the ATAR you should aim for this year to get into this course but it can change slightly
"2012 Clear-in-rank" means the ATAR requirement of last year
Im curious too...When you say slightly, can it change by say 1 Atar point? Or do they already have an idea of the clearly in Atar for 2013 when making the minimum Atar for 2013

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:01:11 pm »
Wow they've made a guarantee ATAR for entry... It means that if you complete an Australian Year 12, or the IB in Australia, in 2012 and achieve an ATAR or equivalent of 95.00 then you will be guaranteed a position in B.Comm in 2013.
The clearly in is the cut off, so the lowest ATAR you can get to get an offer for the course. If you're below the clearly in and don't have SEAS then you can pretty much say good bye to entry into that course. IIRC the clearly in for 2010 for B.Comm was 94.15~ give or take 0.3 and it was 95.45 last year.

I don't see how they can have a guaranteed entrance scheme, in the extreme case where say all students who achieve 95.00+ apply for B.Comm do they only accept the maximum number of students they're allowed to or would they have to accept all since it's 'guaranteed'.

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:54 pm »
Wow they've made a guarantee ATAR for entry... It means that if you complete an Australian Year 12, or the IB in Australia, in 2012 and achieve an ATAR or equivalent of 95.00 then you will be guaranteed a position in B.Comm in 2013.
The clearly in is the cut off, so the lowest ATAR you can get to get an offer for the course. If you're below the clearly in and don't have SEAS then you can pretty much say good bye to entry into that course. IIRC the clearly in for 2010 for B.Comm was 94.15~ give or take 0.3 and it was 95.45 last year.

I don't see how they can have a guaranteed entrance scheme, in the extreme case where say all students who achieve 95.00+ apply for B.Comm do they only accept the maximum number of students they're allowed to or would they have to accept all since it's 'guaranteed'.

This is what confuses me...If it really is a guarenteed Atar, then how can they be sure that the right number of students will apply?
Also is this the first year where they've made a guaranteed Atar?

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »
It's probably just a typo. They can't set a guarantee on an minimum ATAR score before uni offers because they don't know how many people will apply. If they have space for 1500, and 3000 people apply with ATARs over 95, they can't accept them all.

BTW, your 99.00 should get in to Comm at Melb.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 10:13:44 pm »
Isnt the guaranteed entry scores set cos of unlimited CSP funding from the government from 2013? They mentioned this at the commerce department at UoM open day earlier this year, and the lady said "if you put commerce as your first preference and you get 95.00 atar, you will be guaranteed a place". so it's pretty legit.

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:19 pm »
If they have space for 1500, and 3000 people apply with ATARs over 95, they can't accept them all.

arent there only about ~2500 people that get above 95 anyway?

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
I think so. Last year was only guaranteed entry if you scored over 93.00 or something in the low 90s and you had SEAS.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »
Isnt the guaranteed entry scores set cos of unlimited CSP funding from the government from 2013? They mentioned this at the commerce department at UoM open day earlier this year, and the lady said "if you put commerce as your first preference and you get 95.00 atar, you will be guaranteed a place". so it's pretty legit.
Ohh yeah I remember reading about something like that last year, that the government would let the universities select the amount of students they can accept which would mean that they take as many students as they like.
omg.... more jaffys!.. lol :P

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 10:23:48 pm »
Ohh yeah I remember reading about something like that last year, that the government would let the universities select the amount of students they can accept which would mean that they take as many students as they like.
omg.... more jaffys!.. lol :P
wow. If this is true I would beover the moon! Please someone who knows about this stuff confirm this.
ps. 99.00 is a goal that I don't think I will even get close to it or am even capable of doing so :P Your 99 sure looks good though..

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27:43 pm »
It looks like that is the case from reading that, but give the university a call tomorrow or email to see if it's true.
It would mean that the cut off/clearly in would be 95.00 (unless they include SEAS applicants or accept students in the 93-95 range if there is less demand than expected)