Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:24:07 pm

Author Topic: Does failing a subject screw up my chances for med?  (Read 1295 times)  Share 

bazinsky

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Does failing a subject screw up my chances for med?
« on: July 28, 2019, 08:10:39 pm »
So I'm in the unfortunate position where I've failed one subject in my first semester of first year :( I'm aware that I'll need to do consistently well from this point onwards to make up for the tanking effect on my gpa, but are my chances for med already screwed past the point of no return?

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
Re: Does failing a subject screw up my chances for med?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 12:03:05 pm »
+3
Not necessarily! If you hop onto this GPA calculator ( https://thepathtomed.com ), you can see that if you were to get H1s for the remainder of your years at uni (which is obviously pretty challenging but not impossible if you put the work in), then you can get a max GPA of 6.86 which is actually pretty competitive. With a mid-high GAMSAT (I assume mid/high 60s), 6.86 should definitely allow you to get interview offers.

Alternatively, something you may consider is doing an Honours year which will in effect wipe out all of your 1st year marks since med schools only look at the last three years of your education (here, that would be your honours year marks, plus the last two years of your undergrad).

Hope this helps!

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

bazinsky

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:31:17 pm »
Not necessarily! If you hop onto this GPA calculator ( https://thepathtomed.com ), you can see that if you were to get H1s for the remainder of your years at uni (which is obviously pretty challenging but not impossible if you put the work in), then you can get a max GPA of 6.86 which is actually pretty competitive. With a mid-high GAMSAT (I assume mid/high 60s), 6.86 should definitely allow you to get interview offers.

Alternatively, something you may consider is doing an Honours year which will in effect wipe out all of your 1st year marks since med schools only look at the last three years of your education (here, that would be your honours year marks, plus the last two years of your undergrad).

Hope this helps!

Wow this is super helpful, thanks!! :)

Since I've failed a subject I'm planning to take a different one during the summer before third year to make up for the credit points  - would this subject be counted in 3rd year or a different one?

Also a slightly off topic question: can anyone (except international students I'm assuming) get a BMP? Do you just list it as a separate preference from CSP?

Anonymous-oreo

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 05:41:26 pm »

Also a slightly off topic question: can anyone (except international students I'm assuming) get a BMP? Do you just list it as a separate preference from CSP?

Hi!

Domestic students can get a BMP place. After you rank your preferences for the different universities in the GEMSAS application, you get another section for each university (where you can rank/ choose which type of place you would be willing to accept, e.g. CSP, BMP or FFP, from that university).

Hope this helps!