Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:58:22 pm

Author Topic: Pen for English Exam?  (Read 27183 times)  Share 

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Pen for English Exam?
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »
Like I said, with a normal pen I average between 1100-1200 words per hour. With a fountain pen I can write between 1300-1400, if not more. So I'd say it's worth the extra money if it works for you.

What fountain pen do you use? And in an exam would you take in refills to be safe?
A Sheaffer (not sure what the thickness is) and yes, I take in refill cartridges.

Whoah! Just had a quick look and some Sheaffers are like $300+ from Pen Palace in Melbourne.

If you don't mind me asking, is your pen in this price range or can you get good ones for less? And if it isn't too hard to say, what sort of price range should I look at for a reliable fountain pen?

if you want a cheap fountain pen, go to pen city in melbourne and ask them. they have a huge range with some good prices ..
i got a parker frontier cheap from there.. 60 bucks.
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Nagle College
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
I bought a pack of 3 fountain pens, a tutorial book and about 15 ink cartridges for $20! It was on sale from $40, but there's no way I'd spend more than $10 for a pen haha.
Oh haha! Was that your Sheaffer? Where did you get it and how have you found them? (sorry for the bombardment of questions!)

Like I said, with a normal pen I average between 1100-1200 words per hour. With a fountain pen I can write between 1300-1400, if not more. So I'd say it's worth the extra money if it works for you.

What fountain pen do you use? And in an exam would you take in refills to be safe?
A Sheaffer (not sure what the thickness is) and yes, I take in refill cartridges.

Whoah! Just had a quick look and some Sheaffers are like $300+ from Pen Palace in Melbourne.

If you don't mind me asking, is your pen in this price range or can you get good ones for less? And if it isn't too hard to say, what sort of price range should I look at for a reliable fountain pen?

if you want a cheap fountain pen, go to pen city in melbourne and ask them. they have a huge range with some good prices ..
i got a parker frontier cheap from there.. 60 bucks.

OK cool thanks for the advice, how have you found your Frontier?
2011: Psychology (46) P.E (46)
2012: English (47) Italian (29) Methods (36) Physics (39)
ATAR: 98.40

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »
haha frontier was good, not in regular use atm, using my other ones more.

id suggest getting a lamy safari.
theyre cheap, durable and fancy.
and good. defz worth the $$
many  newbies get them..!

btw charmanderp. is your sheaffer a fountain pen fountain pen, or that calligraphy set??!
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2012, 11:56:25 pm »
Writing with pens. #yolo.

Seriously, just something you have a good grip on. Pretty sure there was a thread with this last year. But man, just whatever your comfortable with.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

Chease

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:59 am »
+1
I buy customised pens that are well balanced so i can spin them during the exam.

BoredSatan

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • <3
  • Respect: +72
  • School: GWSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2012, 04:32:57 pm »
+1
I'm pre-ordering it... #YOLO
Glenny kids are fearless bastards :D

I held out on DOTA for the whole of year 12 last year..
Master of Dentistry, Latrobe University 2011 ATAR: 99.75
ATARnotes Accounting Unit 3&4 Study Guide Author

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2012, 05:35:50 pm »
Omg guys! This pen is the only pen you'll ever need - it's gelly but not smudgy, writes for thousands of kilometres ("Kilometrico"), it's got a thin nib (like 0.7 I think) so it's good for cursive writers and it has a nice grip :P and since it's got a thin barrel it doesn't make your hand cramp up so yay! :D

2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:58 pm »
Omg guys! This pen is the only pen you'll ever need - it's gelly but not smudgy, writes for thousands of kilometres ("Kilometrico"), it's got a thin nib (like 0.7 I think) so it's good for cursive writers and it has a nice grip :P and since it's got a thin barrel it doesn't make your hand cramp up so yay! :D

(Image removed from quote.)
Where can you buy it?

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2012, 10:52:50 pm »

(Image removed from quote.)
Where can you buy it?

I think most places - but you'd definitely find it in officeworks, safeway, newsagents :)
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

sjayne

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:48 pm »
So I know this is an old thread and all.. but paper mate inkjoy FTW
2015   BSc: psych at unimelb

Yacoubb

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:22 pm »
+1
I actually thought I was the only one concerned about pen selections for English exams. It is because you need to write about 2000+ words for the 3 essays your doing quite quickly, and so your hand can cramp easily. I LOVE writing use paper-mate 4 pens because the grip is AMAZING and the ink easily comes out. Another good pen are those click pens that come in blue/black/red. They're amazing because ink comes out with ease.

Another tip - if you write in block writing (i.e. not capital, but rather the standard writing), trying writing in cursive or an a slight italicised font; This is good for speed and also enables you to relax your hands whilst writing. The cramp however, is inevitable; you have to go your hand muscles some time to relax after such strenuous activites for the fingers, arm + forearm. Good luck 2013'ers... I still have one year to experiment before I need to make up my mind as to what pen I shall utilise in this Exam :D