Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:28:42 pm

Author Topic: Choosing subjects for next year.  (Read 1271 times)

ellamarchi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Choosing subjects for next year.
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:26:20 pm »
Hi, I'm a year 10 student and have to pick my subjects soon for year 11 and I am struggling to pick my last subject. 

My subjects for year 11 are:
English
Methods
Italian
Chemistry
Accounting 3/4
Studio Arts  OR Global Politics OR Physics

I know my last options are all very different, but I am having a lot of trouble deciding.  I really enjoy Art, but I am worried it will take up too much time with the folio and everything or I could get stuck for inspiration, and I think I would find Politics really interesting but am still not sure. I really didn't enjoy Physics this year, but was quite ok at it.  Can someone please give me some advice!!!

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: Choosing subjects for next year.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:50:24 pm »
+1
Most people will tell you not to take physics so I won't bother touching on that.

As for studio arts, I did this in Year 10 but dropped it halfway through unit 3 because crap teacher + hated the class in general. I think I would've been more suited to art than studio art, but that's just me. In Studio you'll have to complete a folio as well as some theory (I like to think Studio is 80% prac and 20% theory, whereas art is 50/50). The theory is what I didn't like so much. You won't do much (if any) on art history, but rather you'll be looking at how art galleries work, the jobs involved, etc. You'll also look at how to keep your artwork in good condition (how to store, temperature, etc.) and you'll look at at least two artists which you will have to compare and contrast in the exam (in terms of style, historical context, etc.) If this sounds good to you I say go for it. If you work consistently on your folio and make good use of class time I think it would be manageable.

Can't comment much on politics but I agree it looks interesting. If you haven't already it might be useful to look at the study design or talk to the politics teacher at your school so you can get a better overview of it.

And lastly, what do you plan on doing at university? If you're thinking of doing science but have an interest in art then you might like to take art in Year 12 because you probably won't see much of that once you're in uni. Just a thought.

JaidynM

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:28:25 pm »
+1
I haven't got any experience with Studio Arts and Global Politics but my advice would be to not rule Physics out.

I was incredibly hesitant to pick Physics going into year 11 and it took a fair amount of convincing from a couple of teachers to get me to do it. I did reasonably well in Units 1/2 but I, like you, wasn't a huge fan of the course. I found some of it to be interesting but there was a fair bit that I found to be tedious or I just didn't enjoy doing. That being said, I did like it enough to continue doing it in year 12.

Come year 12 I found that I absolutely loved Units 3/4 of the Physics course. Most of it builds off the 1/2 course so there's not a huge amount of new content to learn and the new content that there is was stuff that I found to be pretty interesting. Some of the new stuff takes a bit of work to get your head around but for the most part, it's a pretty chill subject that you can do well in with a relatively smaller amount of work in comparison to subjects like Chemistry or Methods (given you do work efficiently when you do do Physics work).

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I just thought I'd add, I'm a predominantly maths/sciencey person so take my advice with a grain of salt and the knowledge that Physics isn't the subject for everyone. Just go for whatever you feel like you'll enjoy the most; I know that might sound like a super cliche piece of advice but I can guarantee that regardless of how hard a subject is, or how time-consuming it may be, if you're passionate about it you'll do much better than you would in a subject that's something of a chore.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:32:29 pm by JaidynM »

Kindergarten

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »
Hi, I'm a year 10 student and have to pick my subjects soon for year 11 and I am struggling to pick my last subject. 

My subjects for year 11 are:
English
Methods
Italian
Chemistry
Accounting 3/4
Studio Arts  OR Global Politics OR Physics

I know my last options are all very different, but I am having a lot of trouble deciding.  I really enjoy Art, but I am worried it will take up too much time with the folio and everything or I could get stuck for inspiration, and I think I would find Politics really interesting but am still not sure. I really didn't enjoy Physics this year, but was quite ok at it.  Can someone please give me some advice!!!

Unlike the other i have no experience with physical or studio art but i can tell you without a doubt from what I know of all 3 unless you are really artistically inclined global politics will be the best subject by far. It is incredibly interesting if you are interested in current events, critical thinking and analysis as opposed to rote learning (endlessly memorising stuff then regurgitating it onto tests).
Although you need to have interest in politics because it is not interesting for some people I'd recommend watching the news, reading a newspaper (The age is great) or watching some more entertaining political shows like Q&A or the weekly with charlie picking (I highly recommend the latter and it's on iview). these should allow you to gauge whether or not you are interested in the subject. If you are i 100% recommend you take it because almost every person in my class at the moment ranks it as their most enjoyable class.
also it gives you a nice perspective and understanding of the world which is nice.

ps: sorry about my spelling and grammar i'm being pretty lazy lol
2015: Software Development | Business Management
2016: English language | Informatics | Global Politics| Economics | Legal