Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 07:54:55 pm

Author Topic: Paper 2 Preparations  (Read 62131 times)  Share 

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: NGS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Paper 2 Preparations
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 07:49:08 pm »
on the topic of paper 2, do you guys have some good words i can throw into my essays to really nail the concepts of the modules. Currently i have transcending contexts and those kind of statements for module b, and constructs, bias and represents for module c
let me know
thanks!

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 07:51:00 pm »
thank you Jamon

mmmm675

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 07:52:57 pm »
I have a quick question! I know BOSTES state that 2 units of English must count, but I do 4 units. Worse comes to worse, can just my two extension units count and not my advanced?
Thanks!

joey9911

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 07:54:06 pm »
+1
i actually f**king love ATARNotes so much. I said it once, but I'll say it again. thanks for all that you guys do..

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 07:56:08 pm »
+1
I have a quick question! I know BOSTES state that 2 units of English must count, but I do 4 units. Worse comes to worse, can just my two extension units count and not my advanced?
Thanks!
Yes. This is actually possible.

If you look up the UAC tables, surprisingly only 98% of people appear to have English Adv count towards their ATAR. This suggests that Ext 1 and Ext 2 stepped in for it.

jozzl

• Trailblazer
  • woo? lets do this??
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 08:07:20 pm »
quick question
for module B should I write a comparison paragraph (as I doing speeches). I'm doing one for Module A because its comparison of texts and C has a related so..?
* HSC subjects *
Advanced English || Ancient History || Society and Culture | Entertainment VET || Studies of Religion 1|| Visual Arts ||

ATAR Goal: 86.5 - 2D/3D Animation at UTS

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 08:10:01 pm »
quick question
for module B should I write a comparison paragraph (as I doing speeches). I'm doing one for Module A because its comparison of texts and C has a related so..?
Mmm... I'm welcoming differing opinions.

If you want to link between multiple texts that's fine, however I'd say no to direct comparison. In Module B, you treat all of your speeches as one whole text. It is a critical study, and you're more interested in fully evaluating the extent of (the essay question goes here) and how it is portrayed by the speeches altogether.

I don't think I see harm in doing so, but it doesn't feel like it's facing the right way for the Module B rubric.

jozzl

• Trailblazer
  • woo? lets do this??
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 08:20:05 pm »
Thank you!
I do have another question (sorry) I was doing a past paper and i came across a question like this for module A.
Does the treatment of power and control in Metropolis and Nineteen Eighty-Four reflect the texts’ similarities or reinforce their distinctive qualities?
i wanted to know if I should continue my essay in the same structure, 1984, metropolis and then combined paragraph, however should i include connections to each other throughout or minimise it to that last paragraph?
* HSC subjects *
Advanced English || Ancient History || Society and Culture | Entertainment VET || Studies of Religion 1|| Visual Arts ||

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:59 pm »
+1
i actually f**king love ATARNotes so much. I said it once, but I'll say it again. thanks for all that you guys do..

Ily Joey <3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »
on the topic of paper 2, do you guys have some good words i can throw into my essays to really nail the concepts of the modules. Currently i have transcending contexts and those kind of statements for module b, and constructs, bias and represents for module c
let me know
thanks!

Hey! A few key words that spring to mind for ADVANCED modules (not as sure about Standard so not super confident saying):

Module A - Contexts, universal, values, comparison, appropriation, contemporary
Module B - Textual integrity, construction, form, values, themes
Module C - Representation, Construction, Bias, Audiences

:) :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 09:18:47 pm »
quick question

Hey! Not super important in this Module ;D Rui nailed it above :)

Thank you!
I do have another question (sorry) I was doing a past paper and i came across a question like this for module A.
Does the treatment of power and control in Metropolis and Nineteen Eighty-Four reflect the texts’ similarities or reinforce their distinctive qualities?
i wanted to know if I should continue my essay in the same structure, 1984, metropolis and then combined paragraph, however should i include connections to each other throughout or minimise it to that last paragraph?

The more comparisons the better, threading extra through your first two definitely won't hurt you and can definitely improve your mark! :)

samsam0001

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 09:25:52 pm »
Thank you for the reassurance that it is all going to be okay! Just wondering.. how many pages do you think I should aim for for each module?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 09:28:12 pm »
+1
Thank you for the reassurance that it is all going to be okay! Just wondering.. how many pages do you think I should aim for for each module?

This is one of the questions I get asked about english literally all the time, and my answer is always the same; if you're writing more than two-three pages, you're in the clear. Beyond that, it becomes less about length, and more about quality. Seriously, don't stress about how much you're writing, because even the above isn't a hard and fast rule. A friend of mine wrote so small that she only did a page and a half for each essay; she got a solid band 6. Writing a 10 page long piece of bullshit is never going to get you as good a mark as a three page, thoughtful piece.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jozzl

• Trailblazer
  • woo? lets do this??
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 10:09:16 pm »
+1
A friend of mine wrote so small that she only did a page and a half for each essay; she got a solid band 6.
Thank you for this! all my teachers are always attacking me for writing less than three pages but my handwriting is extremely small!
* HSC subjects *

liya1234

• Trailblazer
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2017, 06:12:20 pm »
Hi, currently i'm just struggling to figure out how to spend my time tonight. I'm pretty prepared for Mod A and Mod C (might need to brush up on my memorising) but I'm not quite sure how to be prepared for Module B Hamlet. I have an adaptable essay but I don't know many quotes/analysis beyond it in case they ask something specific that I haven't covered (which is likely). I'm not sure if it would be more useful at this point to learn more quotes etc or if i should go through the play again to get a broader understanding of the text and be able to answer the question conceptually better (also this would be more helpful if they end up quoting a section of the play which I have heard from some people will be likely this year). Hamlet is so broad and there are so many things to ask it just seems impossible to tackle so idk.
Thanks for all the great advice so far!