Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 01:10:00 pm

Author Topic: Lazy English Teacher  (Read 4622 times)  Share 

knsmce

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Lazy English Teacher
« on: December 19, 2019, 11:11:24 pm »
I see everywhere that one of the best ways to improve in English is to get feedback directly from your teachers. My problem is that my English teacher doesn't look at any of the work I send her. I've approached her in class to get help but I'm always given the reply "I'm busy right now so I can't look at it." What should I do? Would it be strange to show another English teacher my work? I have considered showing my drafts to friends and classmates, however I'm worried they'll get ideas from it. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks

knsmce

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Lazy English Teacher
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 11:19:58 pm »
I have a problem with her teaching methods as well. Every lesson we get handouts that we read together. I've noticed that my teacher actually hasn't written anything on the board for the entire year. At our school, we get the same teacher for Year 11 and 12 (I'm just started year 12). I have tried changing classes in the past, but I wasn't allowed.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 11:21:40 pm »
+4
I see everywhere that one of the best ways to improve in English is to get feedback directly from your teachers. My problem is that my English teacher doesn't look at any of the work I send her. I've approached her in class to get help but I'm always given the reply "I'm busy right now so I can't look at it." What should I do? Would it be strange to show another English teacher my work? I have considered showing my drafts to friends and classmates, however I'm worried they'll get ideas from it. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks

Hey, knsmce!

Really unfortunate to hear that your teacher isn’t as proactive with feedback as you would like. I would definitely seek alternatives if you feel like it’s not getting anywhere and both asking a different teacher and working with your peers are valid options. If you decide to show a different teacher your work, just let your teacher know that you’re hoping to respect that they’re busy and that you’re also interested in alternative views so it affirms good intentions  :)

It’s also worth working with your friends and classmates; I actually think sharing ideas and studying together is more valuable than keeping your ideas to yourself. English is most effectively tackled with people bouncing off interpretations and arguments off of each other since the nature of the subject lends itself to interesting and diverse discussions. I wrote a whole article about the benefits of peer reviewing which you can read here! While the HSC is inherently competitive, your best chances at success will come from collaboration with your cohort members. You never know where your best feedback could come from! Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further concerns  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:24:55 pm »
+1
I have a problem with her teaching methods as well. Every lesson we get handouts that we read together. I've noticed that my teacher actually hasn't written anything on the board for the entire year. At our school, we get the same teacher for Year 11 and 12 (I'm just started year 12). I have tried changing classes in the past, but I wasn't allowed.

And if your teacher is a genuine concern, I would definitely raise this with the head teacher or another senior staff member. Your classmates are probably feeling the same way so if you can get everyone on board, you can collectively raise it as a concern. As long as you remain diplomatic about it and highlight that it’s in the interests of your study, and nothing against the teacher themselves, the school should take appropriate measures to sort it out. It’s your final year and if the teacher is really posing issues, I’d strongly encourage you to express your concerns.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music