Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:07:29 pm

Author Topic: tempest [caliban]  (Read 1296 times)

emily10101010101010101

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
tempest [caliban]
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:54:37 pm »
alright, so we've been doing tempest in class and i have exams creeping up, i'm doing a speech and i cant bloody find what caliban discovers and what his ramification is. i'm honestly so lost any help would be amazing.  :'( 

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: tempest [caliban]
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:33:51 pm »
+2
Hey. I looked at the audience's discovery regarding the employment of Caliban's character. My teacher said in her eyes it seemed a bit "lazy" to do but hsc markers love it!! Anways this is my paragraph:

Assumptions and beliefs widely held towards others may be challenged by one’s discoveries. “The Tempest” subtly challenges the perception of natives being uncivilised through the audience’s transformed perception of Caliban. The use of dialogue when Caliban declares “You taught me language, and my profit on’t/Is, I know how to curse” suggests that his inhumanity stems from the cruelty of his enslavement by Prospero as Caliban views his discovery of language negatively. Indeed Shakespeare’s use of eloquent language and iambic pentameter as Caliban declares “be not afeard, the isle is full of sounds noises and sweet airs”, confronts the audience to discover Caliban’s spiritual, emotional and physical connection to nature that challenges the assumptions held against Caliban as a “hag-seed” and a “demi-devil”. This confronts the audience where the irony of Caliban singing “hey-day, freedom!” evokes empathy within the audience towards him, as it highlights his desire to be freed because of the oppression he experienced by Prospero however he is enslaved by Stephano and Trinculo. Through a greater understanding of Caliban, the audience undergoes a process of discovery that transforms their perception of the New World natives, as they question the morality of Colonialism that enslaved such noble creatures. Thus the audience’s intellectual discoveries challenge their old assumptions of the “new world” natives, resulting in the creation of fresh perspectives. Discoveries overall enable ones assumptions and beliefs to be challenged.

Hope this helps!!!

inescelic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: tempest [caliban]
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:26:43 am »
alright, so we've been doing tempest in class and i have exams creeping up, i'm doing a speech and i cant bloody find what caliban discovers and what his ramification is. i'm honestly so lost any help would be amazing.  :'( 

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this would be relevant for your assessment, but Caliban's progression through the play has very interesting ramifications on the reader. Shakespeare interestingly contrasts Caliban's aggressive and vulgar characterisation with his beautiful poetic language and imagery, and as you delve further into the play, realise that Shakespeare is challenging your views about colonialism and indigenous peoples. We come to question... is Caliban's behaviour inherent to his nature or a product of his oppression under Prospero's rule? This is reinforced by the subtle empathy Shakespeare evokes, especially through Prospero's quote, "this thing of darkness I call mine". In this way, Prospero hints that he has been somewhat responsible for Caliban's behaviour, and thus may renew responders' view on the concept of colonisation (Prospero = coloniser) and the nature of indigenous peoples (Native = Caliban).

Hope this helps :)
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.