Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:56:16 pm

Author Topic: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!  (Read 286169 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!
« Reply #795 on: July 28, 2017, 11:50:29 am »
Im really struggling with my creative story and how to link it to the discovery rubric. Please help me out!

Hey meiing! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Our essay marking rules, which you can read here, require 25 posts on ATAR Notes for you to get feedback for this piece. The marking threads are swamped for Trials and this is our way of prioritising ;D hope to see you posting around more!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #796 on: July 28, 2017, 12:39:32 pm »
Hi Elyse, just confirming that you got my creative writing story a few days ago. I posted and attached a pdf of my creative writing, although hopefully it hasn't been read yet, because in the meantime I have edited my first draft. Hoping that my comment hadn't been overlooked and I am soon to be marked as I recall posting a while back and my trials are this Monday. Once again I understand that you have been inundated with messages and stories, but it would be great to have some feedback as soon as possible. Below is my creative (edited second attempt)

Hey! I've attached your Creative below with feedback in bold!

Creative w/ Feedback
I walked down the barren road, legs were shaking, trembling like a warrior, about to enter his first battle. Comma placement is a little off there. I'd remove the one after 'warrior,' but there could be other ways to structure it. Sweat rushed down my flushed face, beads sliding onto my lips, the combination of salt and water lingering. I had attempted to pace my breathing, trying to keep calm in a rather confrontational situation. I had to keep reminding myself why I was doing this, for closure, for my own sanity. I'd break the paragraph here to really emphasise that last statement - Perhaps even put "for my own sanity" in its own sentence - Playing with sentence length a bit would add some drama to this introduction. For someone so weathered in age and a wealth of life’s experience, I was still worried sick, like the new kid in the school. Slightly forced simile there, try not to work TOO hard to put techniques in. It should be natural - This feels a little out of place. I continued my gradual walk to the isolated shed, the dirt crumbling underneath my heavy feet, rocks sharpening on the sole of my rather worn trainers. The sun began to waver away, as did the hope and confidence that I had mustered up the way here. ON the way here. I heard the grinding of an axe, a loud cough followed by the sputtering of a man. A man who created me, a man who left me with the nerve to run away from his problems. I like that your persona refuses to say the word Father, that's clever. A solid introduction! Perhaps a TAD too much description?

I walked in the front door, grinning from ear to ear about the day I had at school.I'd love you to spend a little longer establishing the sense of innocence here, to really juxtapose against the introduction. Build up to the conflict a bit. Closing the door behind me and taking off my school shoes, I was immediately confronted with raised voices. You could say it was ‘deja vu’, I was immune to this level of confrontation due to being exposed to this every day, stirring if you ask me. Ditto, perhaps a little longer establishing the conflict? Describe the scene a bit better? It might be your Creative choice that the persona doesn't want to describe it though. I always knew that things were never going to get better, but at the end of the night, we would all sit down, pray to the Lord and eat some delicious ice cream, with a guilt undertone because Dad buys it every damn time him and mum get into it. Little to be known, today wasn’t an ice cream type of day, it was more of a violent, regretful, God forgive me of my Sins type of day. Ha. Smiled when I read that last sentence. That's magic. Beautiful.

My heart pounding, felt like it was about to erupt out of my tensed chest. I felt my body go into overdrive and was struggling to maintain any composure. One raised foot in front of the other, I had worked my way up the two leading steps, for what seemed like an absolute eternity. Door ajar, I raised my left arm, slowly knocking to attract the attention of the man sitting hunched over his seat. He craned his neck, gradually turning around. He seemed unrecognisable, like someone I used to know, yet still had that familiar crinkle at the top of his nose. His body was stick thin, worn like a piece of used cloth. Despite the frailty in his body he still carried such intimidation. Such intimidation that you wouldn’t expect from someone of his make up, yet the same intimidation that single handedly drove mother and myself away. As he began to purse his lips into words, I had considered running out of the room almost as quick as I walked in. It was only the recurring idea that I needed this closure, I needed to discover change. Using the word 'discover' there is a little too obvious. You should be able to communicate Discovery ideas without using the word (unless the word is natural, I don't think it is here). Great paragraph otherwise, sets the mood nicely.

I heard a loud smack, followed by a harrowing thud onto the wooden floor. Dropping my school bag, I rushed into the kitchen, complete disarray. Sprawled lifeless in the middle of the floor was my mother, my sweet, caring, mother, who wouldn’t inflict pain upon even the smallest of creatures. Sensitive issue, I think you've handled it appropriately. No graphic descriptions, so it works. Perhaps play with sentence length in this paragraph a bit more, "My mother. My sweet caring mother. My sweet caring mother who wouldn't..." <- An example also using accumulation? Time stopped, coming to a halt. Everything became slow, it was like I was in a movie, but the kind of movie that gave little children haunting nightmares. Except this was no movie, rather my reality, the nightmare right in front of my very eyes. Break the paragraph here - Finishing your paragraph on impactful statements is almost always a good choice. My attention had shifted to father, bent in the corner, tears afresh, crying a river. He was shaking like a leaf on Autumn's day, repeatedly shaking his head, moaning ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry.’ Before I could even act upon this ghostly reality, before I could even attend to my limp darling mother, he ran out, eye contact not present. This would be the last time I saw this man, this sinned man for a long, long time. I slumped over my mother, urgently screaming out for help. How could someone inflict this much pain upon a life's partner. For they put forth vows, for they spent all their young lives together, for they wombed my innocent soul. To now to see this split in one act that I am sure this man would regret till his death, broke me and broke our us as a family. Slight wording issue at the end here, but an effective paragraph. Works well to handle a very powerful scene. I'd keep adjusting though - I think it *could* be better, be more powerful.

‘Grace, how are you.’ Dialogue on its own line in Creative pieces (usually), and I think it would work well for dramatic effect here anyway. I had looked into his eyes, piercing a look that on any other day, would take man's soul. I looked him up and down, questioning how I could even begin to forgive my father, how could I even attempt to rediscover this distant relationship. ‘You know it was your fault that we became so distant’, he sternly mentioned. Be sure that your dialogue is realistic, would the father actually say this in this situation? Dialogue is really tough to get right. As soon as this was said, my body shut down, for a number of reasons. This "number of reasons" bit seems a little too logical, too 'academic,' for the situation the persona is in. The tone isn't quite right. Apart from being swept with an evil rage, I found this relatively amusing. How could someone who had committed so much wrong, have the audacity to even entertain such a thought. Before I could get a word in, my feet had taken control and in one swift motion I had begun to storm out of the room. I had come long and afar to try and get something out of this, to try and start putting in the metaphorical blocks to build this crumbled relationship back up again. ‘Grace, please. I am sorry, I am awfully sorry,’ he said. Again, watch dialogue. "Awfully sorry" is overly formal and definitely not appropriate for this exchange. It was only because I had come from far, that I turned around and entertained his remorse. To my surprise, he was a shuddering mess, tears rushing from his hardened cheeks. This paragraph definitely needs to be broken up a little - By this stage as a reader I'm a little fatigued, I'm looking for breaks between sections to organise the story in my head. It was the same face that he pulled fifteen years ago after when he struck mum, yet this had more depth to it. Slight wording issue. This had a story, and judging his expression, this was a story of deep, deep regret. Seeing the shame that my father held, brought swelling to my eyes. My heart began to crumble, because in that wrinkled, weathered old man, was a heart, a heart that I had seen before, yet not as often as I would have liked. Beautiful. I could see he was apologetic for everything that he did, and although it would take me probably the rest of my goddamn life to ever fully forgive him, I knew that I had to start somewhere. We both met in the middle of the room, his shoulders sagged, and he put his arms around my waist. ‘I’m sorry Grace. To you and your mum, I am sorry, so so sorry.’ I welcomed his apologies with this embrace, an embrace that had long been missed. For he was my father, and for she was my mother, but despite what he did, despite that shameful act on that shameful day, I needed to accept nothing could be taken back, but we could move forward. I loved my dad, and even if my mums broken heart could not be mended, I, on behalf of her, was ready to give him a second chance and rediscover a bond that once was.

Overall comments:

- Well written piece - Excellent mechanics, and extra techniques used appropriately in most instances. Watch how you use dialogue (be sure it is natural, read the exchange aloud, does it sound forced or overly academic/formal?) and be careful you aren't using techniques for the sake of it.
- I think the choice to engage in a Discovery at the end (what you are focusing on, presumably) is a little quick, not built up to properly, and a little cliche. The ending of hugging the father is just a bit, I don't know... Like, "Oh, of course they hug and make up." I think its a little idealistic, especially given the horrific pictures you paint earlier. I don't quite believe it. Perhaps you could rework the ending to have the same effect, but without the hug - The hug is the bit that I think, in my opinion, betrays the power of the ending a little.
- A little too much description in places, and perhaps not enough in others (see comments throughout)
- The story idea itself, while slightly cliche, is really well executed. It is engaging and provocative for the reader, and I think the flashbacks work. Perhaps you could restructure - You say the face the father has when he calls the persona back is the same as the one when he strikes the mother - Perhaps that can be the link between past and present? Perhaps seeing that face could inspire the flashback? Like, the first set is sort of linked by coming in the door both times, the second one could be linked in that way? Just an idea :)

Overall, a really well written piece. Really, it is just the ending that subtracts from its power in my opinion. Not entirely sure how you might choose to adapt it, but the hug just doesn't quite suit the piece to me, and feels a little idealistic/cliche ;D

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
« Reply #797 on: July 28, 2017, 12:53:10 pm »
So, has the lockdown been activated?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #798 on: July 28, 2017, 12:57:58 pm »
So, has the lockdown been activated?

Not yet, I'll probably lock all the threads once my Q+A session finishes at 7:00 tonight ;D

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
« Reply #799 on: July 28, 2017, 01:02:17 pm »
Not yet, I'll probably lock all the threads once my Q+A session finishes at 7:00 tonight ;D

So if I hand in my piece by 7 tonight, it'll be in queue for checking?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #800 on: July 28, 2017, 01:03:59 pm »
So if I hand in my piece by 7 tonight, it'll be in queue for checking?

According to my spreadsheet you need to hit 50 posts before you qualify for your next bit of feedback - But yeah, if you post it before I lock it, it will go in the queue. Go earlier if you can - I'd hate to lock it just as you go to post it :)

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
« Reply #801 on: July 28, 2017, 01:05:58 pm »
According to my spreadsheet you need to hit 50 posts before you qualify for your next bit of feedback - But yeah, if you post it before I lock it, it will go in the queue. Go earlier if you can - I'd hate to lock it just as you go to post it :)

Hey Jamon,

Just to clarify, I thought because of how brief the feedback was on my last creative submission that it didn't count towards my post count.

Thanks.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #802 on: July 28, 2017, 01:13:37 pm »
Hey Jamon,

Just to clarify, I thought because of how brief the feedback was on my last creative submission that it didn't count towards my post count.

Thanks.

Huh, right you are! Must have done something weird in the spreadsheet because I had you down as getting something marked for 25 posts, that Creative in March would have been worth 15 even if it did count - You're all sweet! Post away :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:32:03 pm by jamonwindeyer »

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
« Reply #803 on: July 28, 2017, 03:19:04 pm »
Hey! I've attached your Creative below with feedback in bold!

Creative w/ Feedback
I walked down the barren road, legs were shaking, trembling like a warrior, about to enter his first battle. Comma placement is a little off there. I'd remove the one after 'warrior,' but there could be other ways to structure it. Sweat rushed down my flushed face, beads sliding onto my lips, the combination of salt and water lingering. I had attempted to pace my breathing, trying to keep calm in a rather confrontational situation. I had to keep reminding myself why I was doing this, for closure, for my own sanity. I'd break the paragraph here to really emphasise that last statement - Perhaps even put "for my own sanity" in its own sentence - Playing with sentence length a bit would add some drama to this introduction. For someone so weathered in age and a wealth of life’s experience, I was still worried sick, like the new kid in the school. Slightly forced simile there, try not to work TOO hard to put techniques in. It should be natural - This feels a little out of place. I continued my gradual walk to the isolated shed, the dirt crumbling underneath my heavy feet, rocks sharpening on the sole of my rather worn trainers. The sun began to waver away, as did the hope and confidence that I had mustered up the way here. ON the way here. I heard the grinding of an axe, a loud cough followed by the sputtering of a man. A man who created me, a man who left me with the nerve to run away from his problems. I like that your persona refuses to say the word Father, that's clever. A solid introduction! Perhaps a TAD too much description?

I walked in the front door, grinning from ear to ear about the day I had at school.I'd love you to spend a little longer establishing the sense of innocence here, to really juxtapose against the introduction. Build up to the conflict a bit. Closing the door behind me and taking off my school shoes, I was immediately confronted with raised voices. You could say it was ‘deja vu’, I was immune to this level of confrontation due to being exposed to this every day, stirring if you ask me. Ditto, perhaps a little longer establishing the conflict? Describe the scene a bit better? It might be your Creative choice that the persona doesn't want to describe it though. I always knew that things were never going to get better, but at the end of the night, we would all sit down, pray to the Lord and eat some delicious ice cream, with a guilt undertone because Dad buys it every damn time him and mum get into it. Little to be known, today wasn’t an ice cream type of day, it was more of a violent, regretful, God forgive me of my Sins type of day. Ha. Smiled when I read that last sentence. That's magic. Beautiful.

My heart pounding, felt like it was about to erupt out of my tensed chest. I felt my body go into overdrive and was struggling to maintain any composure. One raised foot in front of the other, I had worked my way up the two leading steps, for what seemed like an absolute eternity. Door ajar, I raised my left arm, slowly knocking to attract the attention of the man sitting hunched over his seat. He craned his neck, gradually turning around. He seemed unrecognisable, like someone I used to know, yet still had that familiar crinkle at the top of his nose. His body was stick thin, worn like a piece of used cloth. Despite the frailty in his body he still carried such intimidation. Such intimidation that you wouldn’t expect from someone of his make up, yet the same intimidation that single handedly drove mother and myself away. As he began to purse his lips into words, I had considered running out of the room almost as quick as I walked in. It was only the recurring idea that I needed this closure, I needed to discover change. Using the word 'discover' there is a little too obvious. You should be able to communicate Discovery ideas without using the word (unless the word is natural, I don't think it is here). Great paragraph otherwise, sets the mood nicely.

I heard a loud smack, followed by a harrowing thud onto the wooden floor. Dropping my school bag, I rushed into the kitchen, complete disarray. Sprawled lifeless in the middle of the floor was my mother, my sweet, caring, mother, who wouldn’t inflict pain upon even the smallest of creatures. Sensitive issue, I think you've handled it appropriately. No graphic descriptions, so it works. Perhaps play with sentence length in this paragraph a bit more, "My mother. My sweet caring mother. My sweet caring mother who wouldn't..." <- An example also using accumulation? Time stopped, coming to a halt. Everything became slow, it was like I was in a movie, but the kind of movie that gave little children haunting nightmares. Except this was no movie, rather my reality, the nightmare right in front of my very eyes. Break the paragraph here - Finishing your paragraph on impactful statements is almost always a good choice. My attention had shifted to father, bent in the corner, tears afresh, crying a river. He was shaking like a leaf on Autumn's day, repeatedly shaking his head, moaning ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry.’ Before I could even act upon this ghostly reality, before I could even attend to my limp darling mother, he ran out, eye contact not present. This would be the last time I saw this man, this sinned man for a long, long time. I slumped over my mother, urgently screaming out for help. How could someone inflict this much pain upon a life's partner. For they put forth vows, for they spent all their young lives together, for they wombed my innocent soul. To now to see this split in one act that I am sure this man would regret till his death, broke me and broke our us as a family. Slight wording issue at the end here, but an effective paragraph. Works well to handle a very powerful scene. I'd keep adjusting though - I think it *could* be better, be more powerful.

‘Grace, how are you.’ Dialogue on its own line in Creative pieces (usually), and I think it would work well for dramatic effect here anyway. I had looked into his eyes, piercing a look that on any other day, would take man's soul. I looked him up and down, questioning how I could even begin to forgive my father, how could I even attempt to rediscover this distant relationship. ‘You know it was your fault that we became so distant’, he sternly mentioned. Be sure that your dialogue is realistic, would the father actually say this in this situation? Dialogue is really tough to get right. As soon as this was said, my body shut down, for a number of reasons. This "number of reasons" bit seems a little too logical, too 'academic,' for the situation the persona is in. The tone isn't quite right. Apart from being swept with an evil rage, I found this relatively amusing. How could someone who had committed so much wrong, have the audacity to even entertain such a thought. Before I could get a word in, my feet had taken control and in one swift motion I had begun to storm out of the room. I had come long and afar to try and get something out of this, to try and start putting in the metaphorical blocks to build this crumbled relationship back up again. ‘Grace, please. I am sorry, I am awfully sorry,’ he said. Again, watch dialogue. "Awfully sorry" is overly formal and definitely not appropriate for this exchange. It was only because I had come from far, that I turned around and entertained his remorse. To my surprise, he was a shuddering mess, tears rushing from his hardened cheeks. This paragraph definitely needs to be broken up a little - By this stage as a reader I'm a little fatigued, I'm looking for breaks between sections to organise the story in my head. It was the same face that he pulled fifteen years ago after when he struck mum, yet this had more depth to it. Slight wording issue. This had a story, and judging his expression, this was a story of deep, deep regret. Seeing the shame that my father held, brought swelling to my eyes. My heart began to crumble, because in that wrinkled, weathered old man, was a heart, a heart that I had seen before, yet not as often as I would have liked. Beautiful. I could see he was apologetic for everything that he did, and although it would take me probably the rest of my goddamn life to ever fully forgive him, I knew that I had to start somewhere. We both met in the middle of the room, his shoulders sagged, and he put his arms around my waist. ‘I’m sorry Grace. To you and your mum, I am sorry, so so sorry.’ I welcomed his apologies with this embrace, an embrace that had long been missed. For he was my father, and for she was my mother, but despite what he did, despite that shameful act on that shameful day, I needed to accept nothing could be taken back, but we could move forward. I loved my dad, and even if my mums broken heart could not be mended, I, on behalf of her, was ready to give him a second chance and rediscover a bond that once was.

Overall comments:

- Well written piece - Excellent mechanics, and extra techniques used appropriately in most instances. Watch how you use dialogue (be sure it is natural, read the exchange aloud, does it sound forced or overly academic/formal?) and be careful you aren't using techniques for the sake of it.
- I think the choice to engage in a Discovery at the end (what you are focusing on, presumably) is a little quick, not built up to properly, and a little cliche. The ending of hugging the father is just a bit, I don't know... Like, "Oh, of course they hug and make up." I think its a little idealistic, especially given the horrific pictures you paint earlier. I don't quite believe it. Perhaps you could rework the ending to have the same effect, but without the hug - The hug is the bit that I think, in my opinion, betrays the power of the ending a little.
- A little too much description in places, and perhaps not enough in others (see comments throughout)
- The story idea itself, while slightly cliche, is really well executed. It is engaging and provocative for the reader, and I think the flashbacks work. Perhaps you could restructure - You say the face the father has when he calls the persona back is the same as the one when he strikes the mother - Perhaps that can be the link between past and present? Perhaps seeing that face could inspire the flashback? Like, the first set is sort of linked by coming in the door both times, the second one could be linked in that way? Just an idea :)

Overall, a really well written piece. Really, it is just the ending that subtracts from its power in my opinion. Not entirely sure how you might choose to adapt it, but the hug just doesn't quite suit the piece to me, and feels a little idealistic/cliche ;D

Hi Jamon, thankyou for the review. It was a much, much, much more thorough review than what my teacher did and I couldn't be more grateful. I definitely agree with the idea the ending is a little too cliche, and will fix this up immediately. The feedback had lots of depth and will assist me in executing this creative piece. Once again, thank you for the expert review, and glad to get some affirmation that my story is on the right track. Kindest Regards, tloos1999. 

It is also going to be interesting how I can adapt this to the stimulus...hopefully CSSA is kind to me.

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:50:08 pm by jamonwindeyer »
Thomas Loos

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #804 on: July 28, 2017, 04:23:54 pm »
Hi can i get my creative marked please. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:32:30 pm by asd987 »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #805 on: July 29, 2017, 11:26:52 am »
Thanks so much once again  ;D

If you get the chance with your current workload, could you have a brief look at this version just to make sure it kind of works? I've just changed the dialogue at the midway point so I'll paste it here for your convenience with the change in italics.

Spoiler
You wouldn’t have been able to tell Sydney was on the cusp of winter. A light breeze ruffled evergreen leaves, adding little chill to tepid air. The afternoon sun was smiling down, with little care for the fact that it was working unpaid overtime. Its breezy attitude was fabulous for the precise rows of flowerbeds, their occupants swimming drunkenly in sunlight. On the roads sat the houses, waiting patiently for their owners to return for Christmas.

Xavier paced along slowly, taking in his green and blue abode through stray locks of sandy hair. He’s the type of kid you’d look right past at the canteen queue, but he wouldn’t make the mistake of looking past you. Eternally inquisitive, he chuffed his teachers until they became fed up of his constant attempts to find discrepancies in the syllabus. Eventually the sleepy state school arranged to offload all five foot four of Xavier to a selective campus for year eleven.

He didn’t understand why but the world felt heavier when he walked, especially when the streets were barren. With just the perfect azure sky and the shells of houses – not homes, it was hard not to ponder questions pertaining to some greater meaning. Will there still be people on our little marble in five hundred years? What about a thousand?

While Xavier’s cogs whirred Stan trudged behind him. Like a prisoner’s ball and chain, he was the reason their journey was proceeding at a snail’s pace. Despite having walked this road for as long as his friend, Stan found it eternally compelling. With the knowledge that he had all the time in the world to savour the fragrances, Stan grinned and trailed his snout through a sun-soaked patch of grass that climbed up to tickle his furry underbelly.

Suddenly, Xavier put the grip end of the lead in his mouth. The fake leather smelled like ancient socks and the dog’s fur, so his teeth gripped it firmly, separating it from his tongue. Shielding his eyes with both hands, he turned in a slow circle, scanning the sky blue dome. Today was one of those lucky days where one could see the shadow of the moon hanging out like the shy friend at a party, dwarfed by the exuberance of the sun. Just in front of it stood the wispy moustache of a cloud, a sole survivor of the summery weather. Drifting steadily past the pair was a bird devoid of grace, a jumble of mass that really didn’t belong up there, stubbornly refusing to fall.

Xavier tracked the plane across the Tasman. Why don’t we fear being flung thirty-thousand feet in the air in a thin metal tube?
Hearing chomping, he looked down at Stan and saw the stub of a discarded cutlet poking out of the dog’s mouth a millisecond before it was hastily gobbled up. Innocently, the brown marbles looked up at him, wondering what the holdup was.

Xavier tried to recall how many times he’d wrestled street scraps from Stan’s mouth as a puppy. He couldn’t. But he was sure that the dog knew he wasn’t supposed to eat that bone, as the end of his tail was raised ever so slightly as he trotted off. For Stan, Xavier realised, here and now is what matters.

The lead pulled taut, jerking Xavier out of his daze. The dog was trotting off for a reason – on the other side of the road, a bearded slab of a man emerged from a stained facade. Xavier tried hopelessly to resist – the stranger’s ink-drenched skin and shiny Harley Davidson gave him the impression that he wouldn’t be fond of Stan’s antics.

The biker turned around, alerted by the desperate wheezing Stan was making as he dragged his owner across the road.

Xavier did well to supress his wonder as biker’s menacing demeanour melted – his stubby fingers caressed the dog’s anvil-shaped head fondly. Embarrassingly, Stan decided to lie down, indicating it was time for a belly rub. His new friend obliged, having lowered himself slowly down onto his front step, so Xavier found himself having to start a conversation with the man.

“He reminds me of my dog, Lucy,” the biker confided. “I lost her a few months back.”

Stan lay dead still for a few minutes until his best friend stood up. The man breathed out airily, glancing back down at Stan.

“Sorry pup, I’ve got stuff to do.” The biker prised his eyes from the hound’s friendly stare. “See you ‘round bro,” he said to Xavier, with just a hint of emotion glinting in his voice.

Order was restored as the hound and his human continued walking, soon arriving back home.

Stan halted the procession of narrow legs and looked up the ridge of his snout into his owner’s eyes as the keys jangled on the way out of his pocket. The dog’s tongue continued to hang lazily out the side of black jowls, ready to be plunged eagerly into his familiar water bowl.

Maybe… maybe ignorance really is bliss? Stan takes life for what it is, and he’s happy as can be. He even made a new friend today, enabled by his carefree attitude. Maybe I have something to learn from my four-legged friend…

I kind of changed it a bit more than you suggested. I get what you mean with the handshake, but it would feel out of place for me on a walk, and my intention was for the discovery to be more about gaining an understanding of the dog's view rather than some personal experience but that's just me.

If it's still confusing at all please lmk. If the dialogue is no longer ambiguous, does the image of the meeting seem to "fit" in the story for you? Or does it still need something like that handshake idea? Once again thank you so much for the help  :)

Hey! I really like the way you've cleared up the ambiguity. It seems so much clearer to me now and I'm really impressed with it all. I think the perspective thing comes through really well, and I don't think a handshake is necessary. You've definitely tidied this up a fair bit. Does it still read to you the way you want it too, or has it drifted too far? (I recognise this thread is locked now so you won't be able to reply). The only reason I'm asking, is I don't want this to have drifted too far from your vision, so although it's clearer now, you could still rake it back closer to your vision now that clarity has been achieved. But, you've got a solid piece for trials, so the time now might be best spent adjusting the creative to a stimulus in preparation, then take on the feedback from trials and onwards and upwards from there!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #806 on: July 29, 2017, 05:05:15 pm »
Hi can i get my creative marked please. Thanks in advance!

Hey there! You certainly can get feedback on this :)
Spoiler
All the men and women joined together in celebration as the rain now began to pour down heavily. Withered hands flung themselves around my neck and rough faces embraced me. New line for this new dialogue :) “Big Brother, God bless you!” the people cried. Prem grasped the fingerless hands held out to him, while I joined mine together in the beautiful gesture of greeting used by the people of this community. And the cries of the children filled the night – my first night in the heart of Bombay…
It was five o’clock in the evening when Dr. Vijay Kumar arrived in a third-class train compartment. The red of the sinking sun was veiled in a shroud of greyish vapour and the fiery smell of small portable stoves lit to cook the evening meal permeated the village. In the narrow alleyways the air was dense with acrid fumes which seared throats and lungs, and the racket of coughing that beset innumerable chests was distinguishable above all others.
As a government operative, Dr. Kumar was deployed in the heart of the leper community, the dangerous neighbourhood of The Untouchables, pariahs and social rejects ahead of the annual monsoon season. Without proper sanitation, diseases such as cholera were imminent during this period.
“It’s not exactly like the Grand Oberoi” Prem apologised, “but just keep telling yourself that people here live twelve to fifteen in rooms half as large as this with no furniture, no electricity and no running water!”
Vijay grimaced as he inspected the room that had been allocated for him in the very heart of Bombay. Yet compared to many others, it was a princely lodging, complete with a cupboard, a table and most importantly – a comfortable bed. It even boasted a window opening onto the alleyway and its floor was raised so that it could be protected from the monsoon floods. On the wall was a calendar depicting a fine, chubby baby.
Vijay breathed in the strong scent of the bouquet of jasmine that sat in a clay vase and for a second, he forgot his surroundings; the noise, the coughing and the smoke that was stinging his eyes. The perfume was identical to that of the roses which pervaded the terrace of his house located on the city’s edge during springtime.
Outside, a crowd of cripples, blind men, and amputees waited to receive a blessing from the ‘Big Brother’ who had dared to enter their compound. Though they would give alms to lepers to improve their own karma, most Indians looked upon leprosy as a curse of the gods. What Vijay discovered was not so much a colony but a chamber of horrors. Were those skeletons consumed with disease really human beings?  I feel like "consumed" is not the best word, only because it has wholesome connotations. Maybe rattled with the disease...or ridden with the disease...
“The lame, the sick and the dying…” Vijay muttered as his terror-stricken eyes gazed upon the pitted faces, the skeletal babies in their mother’s arms, the protruding chests of tuberculosis sufferers…
“Vijay Brother, come and sit over here,” Prem ordered at last, gesturing towards the courtyard.
Several lepers scrambled themselves next to him. That was when he realised he was being invited for a meal. Women brought bowls of steaming rice and vegetable curry while leper musicians performed a concert for him on flutes and drums. Vijay did his utmost to forget the fingerless hands battling with balls of rice. He hid his uneasiness as best he could and soon the warmth of the lepers’ hospitality dispelled it. His hosts seemed overwhelmed with gratitude. They were pariahs among pariahs, and never before had a foreigner shared their food.
What struck Vijay immediately was the serenity of the place. There was no horror here. In the leper community, the weak were helped, not trampled upon.  No longer were the wretched people who had come to this place alone and destitute. They had found love and peace.
Because of the oppressive heat, the inhabitants of the leper community looked forward to the monsoon just as eagerly as the city dwellers. It was later that evening when Vijay saw the first drops of water fall. As soon as they hit the concrete, the heat caused them to evaporate instantaneously. For the lepers, the first drops of water were sustenance from the heavens, proof that the gods could still weep for the plight of mankind.
Instead of seeking shelter like Vijay, the people rushed out into the rain. The monsoon this year had arrived a week earlier than what was predicted by the elders. Children danced and laughed and performed somersaults. Trees that had looked like dusty old men grew shiny with freshness and youth. A whole race of people had just been resurrected in a fantastic explosion of happiness, exuberance and life.
The experience made Vijay appreciate a fundamental truth. It’s at grass roots level that gestures of solidarity are really noticed and appreciated. Only a place where men live in such close contact with death could offer such love and cohesion. 
The water continued to batter the ground like the sound of drums beaten by a million fingers.
His first night in the heart of Bombay.

Some things that I really like about this story:
-So much happened within a very short time, in just one night, Vijay was able to see such a diversity and richness of culture. I think it adds to the chaotic imagery of Bombay.
-The imagery is just enough: you've not taken it too far or too shallow, I think it's really lovely. I see colours, I smell flavours, I feel claustrophobic, all of it.
-I like that Vijay is a doctor, even just subtly at the beginning. This is enough to immediately establish a contrast in worlds and set the scene from which the discovery will eventuate.

I think things move too quickly and conveniently between being with the lepers and their happiness arriving in the monsoon - "Because of the oppressive heat, the inhabitants of the leper community looked forward to the monsoon just as eagerly as the city dwellers. It was later that evening when Vijay saw the first drops of water fall. As soon as they hit the concrete, the heat caused them to evaporate instantaneously. For the lepers, the first drops of water were sustenance from the heavens, proof that the gods could still weep for the plight of mankind. " I think perhaps the plot would flow better if he was attending to someone, talking with a patient, only to immediately feel the vibrancy of the room change, and everyone moved outdoors, and then the same somersaulting and everything else occurred. This way, it's not predicting that they like the monsoon, and then suddenly the monsoon comes. It's more of a shock to Vijay, adding to his discovery.

Also, the ending to me does a little bit too much telling than showing. The very last line seems to save it, for some reason, I really like that last line! But just before that, you are explicitly saying the discovery of perspective. Maybe you could show this instead, by talking about the spirits within him changed, and he felt a shift in the atmosphere from being destitute to full of vibrancy. For he was just a spectator, so he could adore the flourishing attitudes, and then maybe he could feel his own smile being pulled across his face by the exact same environment that only minutes ago seemed like a graveyard of beating hearts. Something like this kind of imagery shows that he has experienced this discovery, without explicitly saying it.

Overall, I cannot help but commend you on a stunning piece of writing. This is wonderful! I hope you're so pleased with it. :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #807 on: July 29, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »
THE DIAGNOSIS OF THE BLIND MAN

Thanks for your patience, TheFreeMarketeer!
Spoiler
Manhattan, New York, 1976
I thought my vision was blurry because of a lack of sleep but it turns out I was going blind. That’s what the doctor said at least - he used the term inoperable. ‘An inoperable cataract’ he said verbatim, ‘seldom seen in such a young man’.  Instantly there's such a voice created! Your full stop needs to go inside the quotation mark, at the end :)

I began to look out the window, as the doctor’s ramblings of how the cataract might be treatable or how sorry he was for me, I? I droned off? Missing something here...droned off. I looked at the sun and how it bounced off the water, elegantly, with poise and incredible form and with that I’m taken back to a different time, a time of no blindness. In fact, I’m taken back to a time of profound vision.

Coney Island, New York City, 1962
I had just graduated from the New York Academy of Arts and had found a job as a Coney Island boardwalk painter, painting caricatures and portraits of the people that’d pass by.

I’d sit by the ferris wheel, a camel If you're referring to the brand Camel, it needs capitalisation :) cigarette dangling in the corner of my mouth while flailing my button up shirt as the sun kissed me with an intense heat.

Sometimes I’d have a couple people show up to have their picture painted. Sometimes it was an elderly woman who would spend her time walking the pier, sometimes it was a pair of lovers spending the afternoon together, sometimes it was an excited child fidgeting and waiting for me to finish.

But most of the time there was no one at all. Most of the time I was by myself, occupied with my thoughts. I’d look out at the ocean and think to myself. Watching the tides crash against the shore, I thought about my life and where it was headed, I thought about who I was going to be and all the places that I’d see.

When I suspected no one was going to show for the rest of the day, I’d paint the boardwalk. I’d paint the people walking across it and while I did, I wondered who they were and how they lived their lives. I’d paint the carousel and the man with the red-striped blazer selling balloons. I’d paint the mariachi band and the women, in one-piece swimsuits, sunbathing under green and yellow parasols.

Most importantly though, I’d try and capture Coney Island, in all its fantasy and beauty. I’d try and capture the spectrum of colours it housed. Here I was, twenty-two years old, trying to capture the vivacity in this beautiful life; this life of colour. What a stunning, old school image you've created.

Manhattan, New York, 1976
My wife seemed angry. Whether she was angry at me, angry at God, angry at the doctors, I don’t know. Usually, at the pictures, No need for the two commas in this sentence. you’d see blind men coddled and given sympathetic sighs when they’d pass down the streets but I guess that’s just it; everything I know about blind people is from the movies.

I couldn’t blame her though. She was now married to a man who was losing his vision. She was now married to a man who could not complement her every day, a man who could no longer appreciate the crevices that formed around her mouth when she smiled.

She was married to a man whose eyes she would come to not see herself in.

I tried to catch up with her and just talk things out but she just kept going faster and faster. I guess she saw her future as one riddled with learning braille, and feeding the guide-dog and picking up fucking eye-drops every week. There was a care-free time in our lives; a time when we were both happy. I suppose it started when she sat on the stool adjacent to me, flashed her pearly whites and asked for a painting. I love the way this is coming together!!!

Coney Island, New York City, 1965
We bought an apartment overlooking the amusement park. Sometimes, late at night, we’d sit in the balcony on our foldable chairs, drinking cheap beer and watching the lights; lights that watched us sleep.

We had eloped a year ago; not because we were some Beatniks who ran away from home but just because we couldn’t be fussed with the reception, and the bouquets and the formalities. We just wanted to be married and have it be done.

Since then, life was going pretty good. I wasn’t doing the whole boardwalk painting thing and was earning well working at some gallery. Everything was OK, except for that little incident a month back - the whole miscarriage blunder.

I had made the mistake of bringing up the possibility of re-trying that night but she just wept. It wasn’t that she didn’t want a kid; in fact, she’d give her life up for one but it was that she never wanted to get so close and fall short again.

I tried to console her as best I could, held her in my arms as she fell asleep. I flamed a Camel cigarette and had my eyes drift towards the portrait I had painted her the day we met. Looking at that, and then the lights that pervaded through our open curtains and then the tear-stained puddle on my shirt, I knew shades of black and white were as dangerous as all the colours of the rainbow.

Coney Island, New York City, 1977
I hopped off the Subway and made my way for the amusement park. I had to see it before I completely lost my sight but things weren’t so good now, as my vision became increasingly blurry.

It was forecasted to rain and so no one was on the pier or the beach. I held on to the railing as I strode down the aisle, looking at all the locked food trucks and closed carnival games.

As I made my way further down, I saw the area where I used to do my paintings and the place where I had won that big stuffed giraffe for my wife. I saw where the women would set up their parasols and where the man with the red-striped blazer would sell balloons. I saw where kids used to line up for cotton candy and where young, rosy-cheeked men sought to woo their women at the ring toss.

Most importantly, as I held onto the railing and slid my walking stick along the wooden floorboards, I squinted to see as the sky met the ocean in diaphanous folds and was reminded of this life of colour.

What an absolute joy to read. I read it out loud, actually. I felt like I wanted to stop at every full stop and pause at the commas and be taken along like that. You've done an excellent job of capturing both the scenery of this period but also the spirit. How impressive! I think you've done a stellar job in all things mechanical in the poem - the way the characters come together, the settings, it's wonderful. And you pulled off swearing powerfully.

When it comes to discovery though, I want to point out that I don't get stronggggg discovery vibes. They exist, don't get me wrong. But it's not like he adopted a new perspective at the end, because he had always been aware of this life of colour, so the ending line isn't a "wow" in terms of discovery, but a "wow" because of the circular nature of the story. You used "reminded" - which I think is how the discovery manages to sneak in. You see, remembering what is lost, concealed, or forgotten, is a discovery in itself. But I didn't really get the vibe that he lost or forgot about it. I seemed to think the way he managed to somehow deflect and cool mindedly response to his wife's concerns made me think he was in control the entire time. Perhaps if he lost control a little more in that time, then the discovery would be stronger at the end there, because I can see the way he discovered the ability to control his life, to admire the beautiful, etc. Alternatively, in that moment on the pier at the end, he could tap into his other senses. He could find the colour in the sound of the ocean, and he could remember the sound of the fair surrounding him, or he could remember the salty ketchup on his sausage roll in his break, and the way the brush felt so natural in his hand. This is another easy, still eloquent, way of adding that other discovery layer to your work.

I hope this gives you a little something to think about before your trial. You are a very talented writer - I've seen it in the way you critique other people's works and I see it in your own work now. I hope you have confidence to tackle the stimulus! You deserve great marks for this. :)

Mathew587

• Forum Regular
« Reply #808 on: August 28, 2017, 11:37:46 pm »
Hi,
Can someone please review my creative. I got 7/15 in the trials for this mainly due to a lack of cohesiveness and convulated story line.
HSC 2017- 90.58
English Adv: 85
Mathematics Adv: 89
Biology: 86
Chemistry: 81
Economics:86
Business Stud: 91

~ UNSW Economics/Science ~

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #809 on: August 28, 2017, 11:54:57 pm »
Hi,
Can someone please review my creative. I got 7/15 in the trials for this mainly due to a lack of cohesiveness and convulated story line.

Hey I'm sure someone better will have a look and they'll probably be more refreshed because I am exhausted but my feedback is:
A) Waaaaaay too much dialogue. It detracts from the story and makes it seem more tell than show (I'm sure you've heard that expression before from your teachers)
B) Simple grammatical errors eg. of instead of off - simple things which look bad if you don't get them right.
C) I feel as if it's all too sudden for this too happen all in the space of one night at the soup kitchen. I feel like you need the persona to walk out onto the streets home and see something and then witness the discovery.
D) Watch out for lazy description eg.  pathetic, poverty-empathising event

My main criticisms would be the overuse of dialogue (which makes it sound a bit too colloquial at times)
And also I don't feel a sense of development in the story - that the character undergoes a discovery which is authentic and believable. I feel he needs to go on more of a journey towards understanding - whether he meets one of the homeless men and after a couple of days of seeing him or experiencing his life he recognises their hardships. Something like that. Once again, hopefully someone with more experience can offer assistance but that's just my thoughts! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!