Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 11:29:48 pm

Author Topic: Anyone from the western suburbs going to Monash?  (Read 8784 times)  Share 

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Anyone from the western suburbs going to Monash?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 05:28:15 pm »
Shouldn't say like candy. Equity and Excellence generally needs high 96-low 97 + to get, and living in the west/going to school in the west increases your chance of qualifying for it.

Ooo, I actually don't go to school in the west, I go to Melbourne High...
So I'm guessing.. there goes my chance for a scholarship?

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »
Shouldn't say like candy. Equity and Excellence generally needs high 96-low 97 + to get, and living in the west/going to school in the west increases your chance of qualifying for it.

I got 98.95 and live in the south east and didn't get a scholarship, so if "fortunate" people from the west with 96-97 are getting it, I'd say it significantly increases your chances.

It takes me a 20ish (in peak hour) drive, 45 minute train trip, and 10 minute tram to get to uni, and it does get exhausting. I only go in three days a week but generally I try to get all my work done on my 4 day weekend because I get home from uni so exhausted. It's doable though. If you're concerned, it's probably better to consider moving out than changing universities.
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »

Oh I went there too :)

In that case you can get an equity scholarship if you are on youth allowance, or have a low household wage and some other criteria. If that's not the case, you just gotta get a high ATAR :)
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 06:14:03 pm »

Oh I went there too :)

In that case you can get an equity scholarship if you are on youth allowance, or have a low household wage and some other criteria. If that's not the case, you just gotta get a high ATAR :)

Haha it's easier to say :|

spaciiey

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
lol i was hoping for a scholarship due to the fact that i live in the middle of nowhere but i don't qualify because i've not moved out. hmph.

for the record im not in the western suburbs, i'm in the outer (outer outer) north eastern suburbs -- to the extent where i'm not even IN the suburbs anymore. it's an hour and a half out in the morning and an hour in the afternoon by car, unless im stuck in peak hour traffic. it is roughly a hundred kilometre round trip every day. no. i'm not exaggerating!! otherwise, its a 15 minute drive, and two hours by train, and then a bus ride of i'm not sure how long. needless to say i don't take public transport.

i go to uni 4 days a week, starting at 9 every morning. it is tiring, i won't lie. especially with tutoring on top. but i gotta make petrol money somehow, and tutoring is better value for money than most other jobs i could get.

it's doable, though, by making the most of your breaks at uni, and using my days off for studying.
VCE 2010 | BA/BSc, MTeach (both Monash)

Current teacher of VCE maths

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »
The plan is to do a double degree at Monash, but that would mean 5 years of travelling to and from Monash whilst living in the west.

I was just hoping I could home in on how fellow "westerners" handle the commute to Clayton.

And was it, in any way, a contributing factor in your decision to go to - or, god forbid, transfer from - Monash?
yeah i live deep in the western suburbs and go to monash, travelling is annoying but yeah i manage lol
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »
Are there any westerners out there who don't find the travel to Monash any bother at all?

spizaa #5

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • balls, composure, discipline
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 09:19:45 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen. I'm into year two of a five year double. I live in Tullamarine, but went to a private school closer to the city. I was not given an equity/excellence scholarship (perhaps due to the school I attended). Every day is a battle. Studies themselves are a challenge, let alone worrying about transport and stuff. On average, I spend 3.5 hours a day on buses and trains. This time spent in transit physically and mentally drains me. I come home and have no energy for things I like to do, let alone study. I get moody at the thought of even going into uni. I have not enjoyed one second of my education since exams in year 12. For instance, tomorrow I'm there from 8-5, but will leave home at 6am and get home at 7ish. I cling to the hope that it is the best investment I could possibly make into my future at my age.
2008: methods: 37
2009: english: 50, legal: 45, chem: 40, eco: 37, spec: 32
ENTER: 98.70
2010: biomed/law @ monash

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:32 pm »
Spizza, you ever thought about living on campus? Monash's accommodation? Probs like stay on campus for the weekdays and come home for the weekend?

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 09:34:15 pm »
I live in Delahey so I can sorta relate..

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 12:45:04 am »

I have no patience for the 5 hours daily (2.5 hours each way) it takes me to travel to Monash via public transport (20min walk, 2 trains and a bus).

I drive instead, so it takes an hour each way. It's obviously more expensive, but I consider the time saved (and sleep gained) as being worth the extra cash. My time is worth about $22/h to me though... if you earn less than that, then perhaps public transport is the better option. Each to their own.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 12:47:09 am »

I have no patience for the 5 hours daily (2.5 hours each way) it takes me to travel to Monash via public transport (20min walk, 2 trains and a bus).

I drive instead, so it takes an hour each way. It's obviously more expensive, but I consider the time saved (and sleep gained) as being worth the extra cash. My time is worth about $22/h to me though... if you earn less than that, then perhaps public transport is the better option. Each to their own.

Fyrefly weighing up the opportunity costs
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 01:27:38 am »
Yeah I'm starting to like UoM Biomed now..

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 01:36:10 am »

Fyrefly weighing up the opportunity costs

Side-effect of accounting.

Another dangerous side-effect is the tendency to laugh at accounting jokes.
Consider this fair warning.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:38:10 am by Fyrefly »
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 01:54:38 am »
You Monash people seem nicer than those Melbourne people...