Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:54:22 am

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 72892 times)  Share 

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
Re: Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:56 pm »
Hi guys!

Holidays are coming up soon and I was wondering whether I should be doing anything for Ancient History other than notes. Should I be doing some form of practice responses or?

Thanks guys~
From theyam

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2017, 07:21:12 pm »
+3
Hi guys!

Holidays are coming up soon and I was wondering whether I should be doing anything for Ancient History other than notes. Should I be doing some form of practice responses or?

Thanks guys~
From theyam

Yep definitely do notes and practice questions! Half yearlies occur around ~march next year. Don’t forget to brainstorm sources and quotes to beef up your responses. Though don’t overwork yourself during the summer holidays. Maintain balance between school work and your life :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2017, 07:47:00 pm »
Yep definitely do notes and practice questions! Half yearlies occur around ~march next year. Don’t forget to brainstorm sources and quotes to beef up your responses. Though don’t overwork yourself during the summer holidays. Maintain balance between school work and your life :)

Hi beatroot!

Thank you for your quick reply! Oh god I still can't believe I'm doing my HSC course if I'm perfectly honest, how often should I be doing these practice responses?

From theyam

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2017, 08:59:08 pm »
+2
Hi beatroot!

Thank you for your quick reply! Oh god I still can't believe I'm doing my HSC course if I'm perfectly honest, how often should I be doing these practice responses?

From theyam

Coming from my own experience, I did around 1-2 practice responses per week for Ancient. I did this with all my notes infront of me so that I was sneakily studying my notes without just reading them on my own. Applying the notes into practice responses is a really effective way to study! Susie (the Ancient lecturer) didn't make ANY notes for Ancient during her HSC and still managed to get a Band 6 for the subject. Since you've only studied one topic so far, definitely focus on making practice responses for that particular topic. However, if you're feeling really inspired and motivated you might be able to do 2-3 practice responses per week (again this depends on what topic you studied this term! If you studied Pompeii and Herculaneum, you can easily get 2-3 exam papers done. But let's say you studied Historical periods or ancient societies, my best bet is doing 1-2 practice responses per week)

tina1395

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2018, 01:15:50 pm »
hi,

how would you guys answer this question (topic is Julio-Cluaidns and the Roman Empire AD 14-69): Assess the effectiveness of the administration of the empire in this period.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2018, 02:59:45 pm »
+2
hi,

how would you guys answer this question (topic is Julio-Cluaidns and the Roman Empire AD 14-69): Assess the effectiveness of the administration of the empire in this period.

Hey tina :)

With a question like that, the way that I would go about it (not that you have to do what I did!), would be to either structure it thematically, according to the ways in which administration of the empire was conducted (eg. maybe I'd have a paragraph on the role of the senate, or the imperial bureaucracy, etc. etc), or you could structure it according to the different emperors, so a paragraph on Tiberius, a paragraph of Gaius, a paragraph on Claudius, and a paragraph on Nero :) 

I'll let you fill in the blanks (ie what to put in each paragraph), if you need any more help please let us know.

Hope this helps!

FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2018, 09:36:19 pm »
+2
hi,

Hey, i don't do ancient, but im gonna try and give a hand anyway!

With a question like that, the way that I would go about it (not that you have to do what I did!), would be to either structure it thematically, according to the ways in which administration of the empire was conducted (eg. maybe I'd have a paragraph on the role of the senate, or the imperial bureaucracy, etc. etc), or you could structure it according to the different emperors, so a paragraph on Tiberius, a paragraph of Gaius, a paragraph on Claudius, and a paragraph on Nero :) 

I'll let you fill in the blanks (ie what to put in each paragraph), if you need any more help please let us know.

Hope this helps!

Building on susie's answer, im going to say the second one may be more effective. Only because doing it thematically (focusing on certain aspects of the aministration) sounds to me (my opinion only) that you're assuming that each aspect of the administration (to take one for example, the senate) was run similarly over that entire period.
By doing it with paragraphs based on the leaders, you can look at the different ways, successes and faliures that were involved with each specific ruler.
Also, remember this is an assessquestion. Basically asses means "make a judgement based on criteria. So you need to look at everything those specific leaders did during their time in power, (everything they did, their successes and faliures are the criteria) and make a judgement about how effective or ineffective it that ruler was and their administration.

This is very rough, so i hope it makes sense!
It's also my opinion, and how i'd structure the response, you don't have to do it this way, but i hope it helps you decide!
Good luck!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

tina1395

• Adventurer
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2018, 12:11:01 pm »

Hope this helps!

Hey, i don't do ancient, but im gonna try and give a hand anyway!Building on susie's answer, im going to say the second one may be more effective. Only because doing it thematically (focusing on certain aspects of the aministration) sounds to me (my opinion only) that you're assuming that each aspect of the administration (to take one for example, the senate) was run similarly over that entire period.
By doing it with paragraphs based on the leaders, you can look at the different ways, successes and faliures that were involved with each specific ruler.
Also, remember this is an assessquestion. Basically asses means "make a judgement based on criteria. So you need to look at everything those specific leaders did during their time in power, (everything they did, their successes and faliures are the criteria) and make a judgement about how effective or ineffective it that ruler was and their administration.

This is very rough, so i hope it makes sense!
It's also my opinion, and how i'd structure the response, you don't have to do it this way, but i hope it helps you decide!
Good luck!  :)

thanks so much!

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2018, 10:54:40 am »
Hello

For the dot point: changing methods and contributions of nineteenth and twentieth century archaeologists to our understanding of Pompeii and Herculaneum

My teacher gave us a document with works from Dr Estelle Lazer, Jaye Pont and Penelope Allison. But they're from the 21st century and the dot point says 19-20 century. The works of Estelle Lazer have been interweaved in dot point, appearances of the people but should I be taking notes about the other 2? Usually I wouldn't mind doing extra notes but theres just so many other people I need to know form the 19-20th century already, I don't exactly want to have spent so much time on people I wont need for an exam.

Thank you :)

From theyam

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2018, 09:19:29 pm »
+1
Hello

For the dot point: changing methods and contributions of nineteenth and twentieth century archaeologists to our understanding of Pompeii and Herculaneum

My teacher gave us a document with works from Dr Estelle Lazer, Jaye Pont and Penelope Allison. But they're from the 21st century and the dot point says 19-20 century. The works of Estelle Lazer have been interweaved in dot point, appearances of the people but should I be taking notes about the other 2? Usually I wouldn't mind doing extra notes but theres just so many other people I need to know form the 19-20th century already, I don't exactly want to have spent so much time on people I wont need for an exam.

Thank you :)

From theyam
Hey,
I don't think that you would really need to have extra notes on the other two (Jaye Pont and Penelope Allison). Especially because there are so many different people (from both the 19th & 20th Century) that you could also use in the exam. It's only an extended response and not a full essay anyway, so you wouldn't have the space to talk about too many different people.

For mine, I knew two people (one from 19th-Fiorelli, other from 20th C.-Maiuri ) in depth as I had done them for an in class assignment and then knew a few other people in less detail.

Hope this helps :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

maggiefox123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2018, 03:29:21 pm »
Hey !!

I have an extended response due but I'm not sure what I should even talk about for 500 words?! Any help would be brilliant <3

"Discuss Agrippina the Younger’s relation to the Julio – Claudians (500 words)"

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2018, 08:24:51 pm »
+1
Hey !!

I have an extended response due but I'm not sure what I should even talk about for 500 words?! Any help would be brilliant <3

"Discuss Agrippina the Younger’s relation to the Julio – Claudians (500 words)"
Hey,
Welcome to Atar Notes!! :)
You could talk about how she is connected to both the Julio and Claudian bloodlines through her family members and marriages. Her ancestry, through the Julio-Claudian bloodline was the foundation of her power and influence.

She was the:
-   Direct descendent of Augustus (great granddaughter-Julio line).
-   Great grandmother Livia and father Germanicus (Claudian line)
-   Marries Claudius strengthening the Claudian bloodline, raising her position in society and giving her more influence in politics. Her son Nero is also adopted by Claudius into the Claudian family.

-   “Agrippina’s exceptionally illustrious birth is indisputable”-Tacitus
-   “Remains unique as the daughter of a great commander and the sister, wife and mother of emperors.”-Tacitus

Hope this helps :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2018, 08:29:31 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible if someone could de-construct the sample answer to the one of the 2017 HSC questions. I've looked at the marking criteria but I'm still not exactly sure what constitutes a 4 marker. Could someone help please?

Outline the influence of Egyptian culture in Pompeii. In your answer, refer to Source F and your own knowledge. (4 marks)

The Source is the Mosaic in the House of Faun, the one with the hippo in the Nile, but you probably already figure that out after you read the sample answer XD.

Sample answer on NESA:
Source F provides useful information about the influence of Egyptian culture in Pompeii. We
notice the depiction of an animal (the hippopotamus) which is associated with Egypt; we can
also discern vegetation (eg the papyrus reeds) which are also associated with Egypt; and, of
course, the body of water which comprises much of the mosaic would logically be the river
Nile. All of these elements strongly indicate to the viewer an Egyptian context. The fact that
this mosaic depiction is found in a private residence at the Roman colony of Pompeii (the
House of the Faun) reflects the impact of Egyptian artistic representation and style with
particular respect to the elite class.

Marking Guidelines:
"- Clearly outlines the influence of Egyptian culture in Pompeii
• Refers to Source F and own knowledge
• Uses historical terms and concepts appropriately "

Thank you

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2018, 09:23:25 pm »
+4
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible if someone could de-construct the sample answer to the one of the 2017 HSC questions. I've looked at the marking criteria but I'm still not exactly sure what constitutes a 4 marker. Could someone help please?

Outline the influence of Egyptian culture in Pompeii. In your answer, refer to Source F and your own knowledge. (4 marks)

The Source is the Mosaic in the House of Faun, the one with the hippo in the Nile, but you probably already figure that out after you read the sample answer XD.

Sample answer on NESA:
Source F provides useful information about the influence of Egyptian culture in Pompeii. We
notice the depiction of an animal (the hippopotamus) which is associated with Egypt; we can
also discern vegetation (eg the papyrus reeds) which are also associated with Egypt; and, of
course, the body of water which comprises much of the mosaic would logically be the river
Nile. All of these elements strongly indicate to the viewer an Egyptian context. The fact that
this mosaic depiction is found in a private residence at the Roman colony of Pompeii (the
House of the Faun) reflects the impact of Egyptian artistic representation and style with
particular respect to the elite class.

Marking Guidelines:
"- Clearly outlines the influence of Egyptian culture in Pompeii
• Refers to Source F and own knowledge
• Uses historical terms and concepts appropriately "

Thank you

Hey! I can't help but noticing my favourite question from the HSC 2017 Ancient Paper! I remember seeing this question during reading time and was relieved because I believe that this was the easiest syllabus dot point imo because there's so much to talk about.

Anyways,

Source F provides useful information about the influence of Egyptian culture in Pompeii. (Refers to Source F). We notice the depiction of an animal (the hippopotamus) which is associated with Egypt (mentions Egyptian culture and uses concepts appropriately [the use of the word depiction] ); we can also discern vegetation (eg the papyrus reeds) which are also associated with Egypt (mentions Egyptian culture); and, of course, the body of water which comprises much of the mosaic would logically be the river Nile (mentions Egyptian culture) . All of these elements strongly indicate to the viewer an Egyptian context. The fact that this mosaic depiction is found in a private residence at the Roman colony of Pompeii (the
House of the Faun) (mentions other sources and own knowledge) reflects the impact of Egyptian artistic representation and style with particular respect to the elite class (influence of Egyptian culture [Egyptian art was associated with the elite] in Pompeii, provides own knowledge and other sources and uses concepts [such as representation and style])

This sample answer is a very concise response to the /said/ question. The student has referred to Source F and other sources such as the House of the Faun and Egyptian artistic representations and styles. Not only did they mention the sources, but they elaborated further with using their own knowledge (ie; saying that Egyptian artistic styles were associated with the elite AND saying that the elements found in the mosaic is essentially a great depiction of the Egyptian vegetation and culture. In order to get 4 marks for this question (or any 4 marker in Ancient History really) is to acknowledge the source firstly in the first sentence and make a judgement. Then you go on and provide evidence whilst backing it up with other sources and/or your own knowledge. But don’t elaborate too much that it cuts time into your other questions.

Hope this helps :)

cxtti

• Adventurer
Re: HSC Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:22 am »
Hi All!
I'm currently going through past papers for the [Historical Period: Option J: Fourth Century Greece the Death of Philip II of Macedon] and I have no idea how to structure it. The question that I'm trying to do is "Evaluate the nature and impact of the Spartan Hegemony"

Any help would be greattt!!!