Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:37:53 am

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 72829 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:06 pm »
+2
Hey!!

I need some help with studying techniques for Ancient in my trials. I don't know how to memorise all the content and sources because there is legit so much stuff to shove into my brain. Any strategies at all would help.

Thank you verry much!!
Hey there! For me, the way that I mainly studied for Ancient was doing essay plans, and full practice papers (and getting them marked too!). In terms of memorising content, this guide was written for Modern, but the worksheets technique will still work really well for Ancient as well! I also recommend being strategic about what sources you memorising. Rather than trying to memorise a completely unique source for every syllabus dot point, try and find sources that work for multiple dot points instead - for example the Temple of Isis in Pompeii can work as a source for questions on Evidence for the Eruption, Social Structure, Religion, Greek and Egyptian Culture, Public Buildings (Temples), etc. etc. etc. :)

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sarah.l

• Adventurer
  • Just trying to survive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:00 pm »
+1
Hey! In terms of sources, you can mention a photograph of a skeleton with golden bangles and rings (often called 'the ring lady') in National Geographic, were those rings were actually from a different find, but were put on the skeleton to make for a more interesting photograph. Another skeleton known as 'The soldier' is also a good example, as she created an elaborate backstory for him (and many other skeletons), based on little to no actual evidence.

I don't have much in the way of quotes I'm afraid - does anyone else have anything they think could help Sarah out?

Thanks so much! This really helps. If anyone has any good quotes that would be extra amazing :) :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2017, 04:20:50 pm »
+2
Thanks so much! This really helps. If anyone has any good quotes that would be extra amazing :) :)
Hey,
I found a quote it doesn't exactly criticise Sara Bisel, but it does talk about how historians have made up stories.
"Interpretation of the human skeletal remains from Pompeii and Herculaneum has been dominated by a storytelling approach."-from Estelle Lazer
Hopefully this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

TheMC

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2017, 07:13:31 pm »
+1
Hey,

I've got my Ancient Trials on Friday, and we haven't done any work in class on how to respond for an essay on Agrippina. Has anyone already done their Personalities essay and have a few tips on what to include/not to?
We only got up to the second major dot point and I don't feel prepared for it.

Thanks! And good luck anyone else for Trials!
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2017, 07:29:59 pm »
+2
Hey,

I've got my Ancient Trials on Friday, and we haven't done any work in class on how to respond for an essay on Agrippina. Has anyone already done their Personalities essay and have a few tips on what to include/not to?

Hey,
I'm in exactly the same position as you. My class is doing Agrippina but are still only the the second dot point. My exams are about two weeks away for Ancient but my teacher told us the question will definitely be from the first couple of dot points from the syllabus. I think the questions (hopefully), shouldn't be as hard because we can't really evaluate anything from the last dot point (legacy, influence,etc.). I think because we haven't done a lot of the syllabus the questions might be easier 'describe' ones but i'm not too sure.
I'm sorry I can't really help heaps but Susie should have heaps of advice. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2017, 07:46:32 pm »
+3
Hey,

Hey!! The questions can only cover the dot points that you have already studied - if they go beyond that, then you have every right to complain, because that'd be grossly unfair. For part A it is a lower order question, eg. describe, outline, explain, etc. Meaning that you don't need to make a judgement, and can sometimes even write in a more narrative form! Part B is analytical, but lucky for you guys the question for Agrippina never changes! It will always be on legacy and interpretations. With that in mind, I always constructed my Agrippina part B responses with a paragraph for each interpretation;

- The evil stepmother
- The sexual deviant
- The hyper-masculine woman commander
- The feminist icon

So I'd have a paragraph on each of these! Note that they all deal with her femininity as well - which is a great thematic through line that you can incorporate. Throughout the response, you assess how and why these interpretations were formed, and how they have contributed to the shaping of her legacy.

As you said you have not reached the final dot point yet, you may not even have to do this! But this is what it almost always is on the HSC exam. I've attached both a Part A and Part B response for Agrippina that I wrote last year which received full marks, if you want to have a look in terms of structure :D

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

TheMC

• Adventurer
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2017, 07:47:40 pm »
+2
Hey,
I'm in exactly the same position as you. My class is doing Agrippina but are still only the the second dot point. My exams are about two weeks away for Ancient but my teacher told us the question will definitely be from the first couple of dot points from the syllabus. I think the questions (hopefully), shouldn't be as hard because we can't really evaluate anything from the last dot point (legacy, influence,etc.). I think because we haven't done a lot of the syllabus the questions might be easier 'describe' ones but i'm not too sure.
I'm sorry I can't really help heaps but Susie should have heaps of advice. :)

That's fine, thanks anyways mate :) Always good to have someone else give perspective on it.
Good luck for it Agrippina (and the rest of it)!
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

TheMC

• Adventurer
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2017, 07:54:29 pm »
Hey!! The questions can only cover the dot points that you have already studied - if they go beyond that, then you have every right to complain, because that'd be grossly unfair. For part A it is a lower order question, eg. describe, outline, explain, etc. Meaning that you don't need to make a judgement, and can sometimes even write in a more narrative form! Part B is analytical, but lucky for you guys the question for Agrippina never changes! It will always be on legacy and interpretations. With that in mind, I always constructed my Agrippina part B responses with a paragraph for each interpretation;

- The evil stepmother
- The sexual deviant
- The hyper-masculine woman commander
- The feminist icon

So I'd have a paragraph on each of these! Note that they all deal with her femininity as well - which is a great thematic through line that you can incorporate. Throughout the response, you assess how and why these interpretations were formed, and how they have contributed to the shaping of her legacy.

As you said you have not reached the final dot point yet, you may not even have to do this! But this is what it almost always is on the HSC exam. I've attached both a Part A and Part B response for Agrippina that I wrote last year which received full marks, if you want to have a look in terms of structure :D

Susie

You are a godsend! Thank you! My next question was going to be about the required length that you would recommend :)

Just another question, would you avoid a particular POV of Agrippina? My teacher always shies away from the 'sexual deviant'  portrayal of Agrippina and doesn't recommend for us to do it.

Thanks for answering!
English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2017, 07:59:18 pm »
+2
You are a godsend! Thank you! My next question was going to be about the required length that you would recommend :)

Just another question, would you avoid a particular POV of Agrippina? My teacher always shies away from the 'sexual deviant'  portrayal of Agrippina and doesn't recommend for us to do it.

Thanks for answering!
No worries! Happy to help :) In terms of length, as much as you can write in 18 minutes for part A, and 27 minutes for part B (roughly)!

Personally I always mentioned the sexual deviant portrayal, and think that it is quite critical to Agrippina, as her supposed immoral sexual exploits, and the way in which she utilised her sexuality to secure power was a crucial way in which the Ancient historians attempt to shame her, and paint her in this negative light. Does your teacher provide any reason for not including it? For Trials, if they really don' like it, then don't use it as your teacher will be marking it - but in the HSC Agrippina was my best section (my school bought back my responses - close to full marks), and I definitely mentioned this perspective.

TheMC

• Adventurer
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2017, 08:04:33 pm »
No worries! Happy to help :) In terms of length, as much as you can write in 18 minutes for part A, and 27 minutes for part B (roughly)!

Personally I always mentioned the sexual deviant portrayal, and think that it is quite critical to Agrippina, as her supposed immoral sexual exploits, and the way in which she utilised her sexuality to secure power was a crucial way in which the Ancient historians attempt to shame her, and paint her in this negative light. Does your teacher provide any reason for not including it? For Trials, if they really don' like it, then don't use it as your teacher will be marking it - but in the HSC Agrippina was my best section (my school bought back my responses - close to full marks), and I definitely mentioned this perspective.

I'll try to stick to that outline, thanks

She just avoids it, and always perseveres that she was an evil stepmother, and grasping for power. I wouldn't say that she dislikes it, just that she seems to avoid it whenever we come across it in the Ancient writers texts. I think that I may present it as a perspective if I need to buff up my response, but for Trials I may avoid it.

English Ad
Legal Studies
Business Studies
SOR 2
Math Gen
Ancient History

ATAR goal of 80+

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2017, 08:05:49 pm »
Hey Susie,
For Agrippina, what types of archaeological evidence did you study? I know she is on coins, and statues but are more that I should use? Also are archeological sources as needed compared to other sections, because the longer essay is mainly on her legacy?
Last term for Julio Claudians I needed to do an essay on the changing role of the princeps, and my teacher said that some of my stuff wasn't really relevant to the dot point. What should I be saying if we have an essay on this dot point?
Thanks again Susie!! :D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2017, 08:19:36 pm »
+3
Hey Susie,
For Agrippina, what types of archaeological evidence did you study? I know she is on coins, and statues but are more that I should use? Also are archeological sources as needed compared to other sections, because the longer essay is mainly on her legacy?
I used numismatic evidence (so coins) from gaius, claudius and Nero's reign, and statutes - in particular the sebasteon reliefs; the one where she is standing level with Claudius, and the other where she is literally crowning Nero. I think archaeological evidence is very significant for Agrippina, as it can be used to both support and contrast the "legacies" presented!

Last term for Julio Claudians I needed to do an essay on the changing role of the princeps, and my teacher said that some of my stuff wasn't really relevant to the dot point. What should I be saying if we have an essay on this dot point?
Thanks again Susie!! :D
So you can either answer this question by having a paragraph on each Princeps, or you can do it thematically - so how did their role change politically (I'd look at relationship to the Senate here, and also their level of activity and contribution), socio-culturally (I'd look at religion here!) and militarily (role of the army and expansion and consolidation!) :)

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2017, 08:36:30 pm »
Hey,

Is anyone else studying the fall of the roman republic?

If so, how would I go about answering the question 'outline the role military commands played in Roman Politics during the period of 78-31BC?
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2017, 09:16:13 am »
+3
Hey,

Is anyone else studying the fall of the roman republic?

If so, how would I go about answering the question 'outline the role military commands played in Roman Politics during the period of 78-31BC?
Hey! So unfortunately I didn't study this topic, but I might be able to help a bit. That is a kinda weird question to get for an essay to be completely honest - I've never seen an "outline" question before, but no worries - the way I would go about structuring something like this if we got a similar question for the Julio-Claudian period would be to either a) have a paragraph each on different military commands and their effects, b) thematic essay, so paragraph on the political/social/economic/militaristic impact or c) a paragraph on each ruler, and how they commanded the military :)

Hope this helps!

Susie 

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2017, 07:41:07 pm »
+1
Hey   :D
I've got my Ancient trial exam on Wednesday and I'm pretty concerned about the historical period section.
I'm doing the Julio-Claudians at my school and I haven't really focused on any of the dot points besides the reforms and policies of the Julio-Claudian rulers. I had an assignment on this dot point and focused wayyyy too much on it and neglected studying the other dot points  :-\ :-\
What would be the best approach for study at this stage, I feel like I'm screwed haha. Should I just create like practice essays for each of other other dot points? Is there even time for that now??  I feel like there r literally soo many questions that could be asked and I'm only really prepared for one possible question....
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!  :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced