Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:00:29 pm

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 72859 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:38 am »
+3
Hey Susie,
With your argument/interpretation tables what were your main arguments for Sparta within the Spartan mirage?
Hey! Unfortunately I didn't have a table for Sparta :( Only Agrippina and the Julio-Claudians, as they were the ones that I would actually have to make arguments for frequently, whereas with Sparta they were mainly lower order questions. However, if I were to write one, and keep in mind this is off the top of my head, I would definitely mention the fact that the majority of written sources are coming from an Athenian perspective, who didn't like the Spartans very much aha ;) I'd also probably mention the poetry of Alcman (not as much Tyrteaus as though it was very literary content wise does contribute to the Spartan mirage), who works are more about wonder and luxury :)

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2017, 10:33:07 am »
+4
Hey!  :)
Just a quick question, this was in the 2014 ancient past paper:
(a) identify TWO examples of technology in this period

Unforutantely the answers that BOSTES provides only gives you the marking criteria for that question and doesn't list any examples.

For my response I wrote
- Hoplite spears
- Hoplon (shield made of wood covered with a sheet of bronze)

Would these be valid answers? And for this dot point 'technology' what exactly should you be referring to, would military equipment be classified under 'technology.' I feel like this dot point is a bit unclear.

Thanks!  ;D
Yes, those would both be valid answers! From memory, the technology dot point focuses mainly on military equipment, like the hoplite spear, the hoplon and the use of the Phalanx, and then pottery! I definitely remember being confused with this dot point as well, but basically I believe it means anything that the Spartans created/adapted (ie. there own form of spear, their own form/style of pottery, etc.) - a better word would probably have been "inovation".

Hope this helps,

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2017, 12:04:22 pm »
+1
Yes, those would both be valid answers! From memory, the technology dot point focuses mainly on military equipment, like the hoplite spear, the hoplon and the use of the Phalanx, and then pottery! I definitely remember being confused with this dot point as well, but basically I believe it means anything that the Spartans created/adapted (ie. there own form of spear, their own form/style of pottery, etc.) - a better word would probably have been "inovation".

Hope this helps,

Susie

Thanks for the clarification ;D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2017, 06:58:28 pm »
Hey! This question from the 2013 completely threw me off and i'm annoyed at myself that I don't have notes on this section ;(

"Explain how Pompeii and Herculaneum were affected differently by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius"

So far I mentioned that P had 4 metres of ash, whilst H had 20m. Also mentioned how the Pompeiians and Herculaneans died. But I don't know what else to add. It's a six marker after all. What would be good evidence besides the ash and the bodies?

Thanks!

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2017, 09:39:23 pm »
+5
Hey! This question from the 2013 completely threw me off and i'm annoyed at myself that I don't have notes on this section ;(

"Explain how Pompeii and Herculaneum were affected differently by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius"

So far I mentioned that P had 4 metres of ash, whilst H had 20m. Also mentioned how the Pompeiians and Herculaneans died. But I don't know what else to add. It's a six marker after all. What would be good evidence besides the ash and the bodies?

Thanks!
Hey,
- The first and second pyroclastic surge destroyed Herculaneum while the remaining four destroyed Pompeii. While the Plinian phase (ash/pumice/gas) mainly affected Pompeii, the Pyroclastic surges mainly affected Herculaneum (eventually burying it in 20m of ash)
- Due to the different volcanic experiences, whole two story houses and carbonised wooden features were preserved at Herculaneum. In Pompeii, I think that the weight of the ash and pumice caused the second story of buildings to collapse.
Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2017, 09:52:15 pm »
+1
Hey,
- The first and second pyroclastic surge destroyed Herculaneum while the remaining four destroyed Pompeii. While the Plinian phase (ash/pumice/gas) mainly affected Pompeii, the Pyroclastic surges mainly affected Herculaneum (eventually burying it in 20m of ash)
- Due to the different volcanic experiences, whole two story houses and carbonised wooden features were preserved at Herculaneum. In Pompeii, I think that the weight of the ash and pumice caused the second story of buildings to collapse.
Hope this helps :)

Thank you so so much!!!

flashguts321

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cranbrook
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering what anyone's predictions are for the Spartan society section this year? I know we shouldn't rely on predictions but just curious as to what sections are more likely.

gkim1

• Adventurer
  • Crying about how I want the HSC to be over.
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:08 am »
Hi! Does anyone have any solid New Kingdom Egypt to the Death of Amenhotep III notes?? I have notes of my own, but I really wanted to make sure I know everything because it was the one section that let me down in my trials :( There doesn't seem to be any notes here as the only notes available for New Kingdom to the death of Amenhotep III is an essay?

Please help a fellow ancient student out!

Thanks!
HSC 2017: Advanced Eng / Extension Eng / Business Studies / Legal Studies / Ancient History / General Maths / Studies of Religion

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2017, 03:10:33 pm »
+3
Hi,

Just wondering what anyone's predictions are for the Spartan society section this year? I know we shouldn't rely on predictions but just curious as to what sections are more likely.

Hey! I feel like something from Cultural Life could come up, as it hasn't for a long while! That was what I predicted last years question would be (and I was wrong), but still gunning that it'll have to show up at some point!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »
Where can I find past papers without copyright blocks in them? Most of the sources have been blocked on the nesa website ;(

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:42 pm »
+2
Where can I find past papers without copyright blocks in them? Most of the sources have been blocked on the nesa website ;(
Hey! I couldn't find them for all of the years, but here are the booklets for 2010 and 2011! Hope this helps!

flashguts321

• Adventurer
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2017, 02:12:45 pm »
Hey! I feel like something from Cultural Life could come up, as it hasn't for a long while! That was what I predicted last years question would be (and I was wrong), but still gunning that it'll have to show up at some point!

Thanks again Susie!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2017, 04:01:34 pm »
What information and how much detail would you have to include in this personality question (part a) for Agrippina the Younger:

A) Describe Agrippina’s Julio-Claudian background.

In my practice response I mentioned how Agrippina's mother and father both have connections to Augustus. For her mother (Agrippina the elder) there is a direct lineage as she is Augustus' great-grand daughter whilst for her father (Germanicus) he was adopted by Tiberius who was adopted by Augustus. I also mentioned how her Julio-Claudian background had a major impact later in life. This only took me like one page though, so how much more would you have to include for the full 10 marks? Also how many quotes would you be expected to include for these questions.

Any help would be great,
Thanks!  ;D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

flashguts321

• Adventurer
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2017, 11:20:44 am »
Hey just wondering whether anyone has any predictions for the P&H 10-marker plus any other short answer q's that the core section may ask?

Thanks for all the help!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2017, 11:59:30 am »
+2
What information and how much detail would you have to include in this personality question (part a) for Agrippina the Younger:

A) Describe Agrippina’s Julio-Claudian background.

In my practice response I mentioned how Agrippina's mother and father both have connections to Augustus. For her mother (Agrippina the elder) there is a direct lineage as she is Augustus' great-grand daughter whilst for her father (Germanicus) he was adopted by Tiberius who was adopted by Augustus. I also mentioned how her Julio-Claudian background had a major impact later in life. This only took me like one page though, so how much more would you have to include for the full 10 marks? Also how many quotes would you be expected to include for these questions.

Any help would be great,
Thanks!  ;D
Hey! Looks like you've got a pretty extensive response already :) The big emphasis is that she is connected directly to every single Julio-Claudian Emperor. You've got everything there that I would think to include, if you're concerned about time, it might just be a case of expanding what you have already through detail! Like maybe link how her connection to Germanicus afforded her respect from the Army/Praetorian Guard. You could have mentioned her connection to her brother Gaius as well.