Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:56:05 am

Author Topic: Got into Stanford :)  (Read 19042 times)  Share 

azure

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Re: Got into Stanford :)
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »
Wenhao, I'm not sure if you can do the ACT here but there are definitely SAT exams in Aus; this year some of them were held at Scotch, Haileybury and Mentone if I remember correctly.
Most students I know who applied to the US chose to do the SAT (perhaps for convenience?). A quick google search of "SAT or ACT" might help you out :)
As for UK unis, I didn't do much research on them but off the top of my head, I think there were extra admission tests required for some courses such as economics at Cambridge -> TSA.
Despite IB being more internationally recognised, IB students are not exempt from the SAT/ACT for admission into US unis (with the exception of a few unis not requiring the SAT). Unsure if the IB makes a difference for entrance into UK unis.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see thatisanote's reply. Listen to thatisanote instead! seeing as he actually went through the entire process :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:18:56 pm by azure »
2010: Chinese SL
2011: English, Japanese SL, Chemistry, Methods, Economics

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:13 pm »
Ok, but thanks a lot first and where can you do ACT?
Lol, so uk unis will be harder to enter compared to US unis?
So basically when do I have to apply in yr12?Is it compulsory ti
get 99+ to get in? Tq :)
2014-2016: 

2017-2018: Master of Engineering

azure

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 10:50:22 pm »
It all depends on which uni/s you are planning to apply to...

UK is incredibly expensive to study in. You must factor in costs before applying as it's pretty difficult to get a scholarship as an international student in both the UK and the US.

It's quite a lengthy process so my careers advisors told me to notify the school by May, start preparing by mid years, sit SATs, ask for college/personal references in term three... etc etc. I never followed through with the application so probably look straight to thatisanote or thushan for more help :)

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 10:54:27 pm »
Okay what if I didn't get the scholarship, can I still apply?But I assume it will be expensive.
So what's SAT all about?...what do you require to study?
Let's say I wanna apply for standford, do I need a 99+ ATAR?
2014-2016: 

azure

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 11:07:21 pm »
+1
Have a look here: http://www.collegeboard.org/
And a look here: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/uga/basics/selection/prepare.html
Tuition fees for Imperial: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/studentfinancialsupport/tuitionfees/2012-13fees#UG
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/studentfinancialsupport/livingcosts

Stanford is extremely competitive to get into as Thushan has already mentioned previously. A friend got a 99.80 but didn't get into Stanford; it's more than the ATAR score that they're looking at.

Edit: more links added.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:19:21 pm by azure »

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 11:09:50 pm »
+3
Wenhao - they take a wide range of things. Grades, SAT (SAT is basically like the GAT here in VIC), extracurriculars, personal essays. It's a crapshoot. And US Ivy League colleges dont give scholarships, but only need-based financial aid. So if you get a place and apply for financial aid, they give you what you NEED, but it doesnt have anything to do with merit.

Getting into these schools is a crapshoot. Thing is, there are sooooo many perfect specimens (like thatisanote) out there that it essentially is a pick of the draw.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 11:19:57 pm »
+1
Have a look here: http://www.collegeboard.org/
And a look here: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/uga/basics/selection/prepare.html

Stanford is extremely competitive to get into as Thushan has already mentioned previously. A friend got a 99.80 but didn't get into Stanford; it's more than the ATAR score that they're looking at.

Hey and thanks for the website. It seems that it's indeed competitive to enter this Uni. But can I apply for a few, like Stanford, Harvard, London Imperial(I wish to go there)? I hope you guys can make more post talking about uni though as I seem to know nothing much.Thanks :)

Wenhao - they take a wide range of things. Grades, SAT (SAT is basically like the GAT here in VIC), extracurriculars, personal essays. It's a crapshoot. And US Ivy League colleges dont give scholarships, but only need-based financial aid. So if you get a place and apply for financial aid, they give you what you NEED, but it doesnt have anything to do with merit.

Getting into these schools is a crapshoot. Thing is, there are sooooo many perfect specimens (like thatisanote) out there that it essentially is a pick of the draw.

Hey thushan, did you get into stanford?Well, very tough though.Is there a possible chance if I'm doing ESL to enter this kind of Uni?
So they don't give full scholarship? and can I study for SAT?+ what do you mean by extracurriculars?
Sorry Im asking to much but hope you can answer me with details. TQ very much ;)
Yeah, I agree as it's like a lucky draw though which doesn't depends on ur score(what azure said)..
2014-2016: 

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:56 pm »
Did I get into Stanford? Nup, I didn't apply for it. Applied for Harvard, Yale, Princeton. Will get outcome on March.
If you're ESL I think you need to sit the TOEFL I think

thatisanote

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:49 pm »
Did I get into Stanford? Nup, I didn't apply for it. Applied for Harvard, Yale, Princeton. Will get outcome on March.

Ya check the schools website, either TOEFL or a certain score on the CR section of the SAT.

Also, I didn't apply for finaid - if you apply for finaid, you basically can't get in (to Stanford at least - harvard is need blind for internationals).

And to study for the SAT, I just use d the books in the picture - which i'm selling, so let me know if you are after any of them. I purchased them while in America.

BTW - if anyone buys the whole lot, I'll let you drill me for a few skype sessions about the application process (though there is only so much I know and can help with).

In terms of resources, I had nothing.
I did:
1. college confidential.
2. and people who I contacted (e.g. MGS careers advisor, Caulfield careers advisor - though these guys just basically said - go to educationusa)

Also, in terms of VCE, some things I was wondering:
uni enhancement won't really help or hinder. maybe a very slight help as it seems hard.
math2 subject test: mostly methods, i didn't do spesh so I don't know, but what was missing from my methods knowledge I learned in two intense days (regret cramming but worked out in the end). and you're allowed the n-spire in the math2 test, and no restrictions on having notes. I had notes, don't think I used them though.
Remember you'll always be more pressed for time in the real thing, so prac tests (I did 2 i think - from the books im selling) in ~60-70% of time.

physics subj test: vce physics does help, but only some sections, i had quite a lot to learn in 2 days, was very unsure if i would get the 800 (but I did in the end). still had stuff to learn in the car on the way to the test :/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:35:39 pm by thatisanote »
2010: Eco 46
2011: Eng 45 MMM 47 MFM 50 Phy 44 MUEP Comp Systems 5.5
2012: Stanford University :)

(selling SAT/american college books, pm me)

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »

Abbreviation of TOEFL?Lol, I'm pretty scared now but based on my standard of english I think it should be fine. So you will get it in march?Why did thatisanote  get it so early? Well, do you actually know what course you will be getting or wanna go for it before apply...Btw Good luck with your outcome. I assume Harvard is pretty tough to enter.

Ya check the schools website, either TOEFL or a certain score on the CR section of the SAT.

Also, I didn't apply for finaid - if you apply for finaid, you basically can't get in (to Stanford at least - harvard is need blind for internationals).

And to study for the SAT, I just use d the books in the picture - which i'm selling, so let me know if you are after any of them

Which website again?So it's easier for TOEFL...
So bascially is it good to apply for finaid?
Where is your post or could you pls give me more details of the selling stuff?TQ
2014-2016: 

azure

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »
You can apply to as many universities as you like. There's also a Common App that is accepted by a lot of US universities, look here: https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/default.aspx so you don't need to keep filling in separate applications. Might be extremely hectic if you start applying to a lot of universities that are not listed on the common app though (writing many essays, individually filling out applications, school career advisors might hate you afterwards :P etc.). 

Extracurriculars: Sport, music, drama, environmental/politics/human rights/make pov history clubs/societies at school..... etc.

Interesting life experiences, achievements, community work, work experience are also factored in if you write about them in your personal statement/essays.

UK universities particularly look at life experiences and things you have done to show why and how much you want to study a certain course at their uni. E.g. Career advisor at my school suggested (at the minimal) I join Amnesty International, keep up related community work, find work experience if I wanted any chance of getting into Law in the UK and of course you need great academic results as well...

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 11:42:53 pm »
Haha he applied for Early Action (where you apply ONLY to one uni early, and you have to take the offer should you get one).
I'm doing regular action, so outcome on March. I'm not expecting to get into any of the unis in the US, I applied just for the hell of it. It's just too difficult, and there is no reason they should pick me.

thatisanote

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 11:49:41 pm »

Abbreviation of TOEFL?Lol, I'm pretty scared now but based on my standard of english I think it should be fine. So you will get it in march?Why did thatisanote  get it so early? Well, do you actually know what course you will be getting or wanna go for it before apply...Btw Good luck with your outcome. I assume Harvard is pretty tough to enter.

And to study for the SAT, I just use d the books in the picture - which i'm selling, so let me know if you are after any of them

Which website again?So it's easier for TOEFL...
So bascially is it good to apply for finaid?
Where is your post or could you pls give me more details of the selling stuff?TQ

Google about TOEFL, and for the school's website.
No, reread it - finaid HUGELY reduces your chance of admission.
http://imgur.com/a/oCBh2 - that's what i'm selling. click that link

Haha he applied for Early Action (where you apply ONLY to one uni early, and you have to take the offer should you get one).
I'm doing regular action, so outcome on March. I'm not expecting to get into any of the unis in the US, I applied just for the hell of it. It's just too difficult, and there is no reason they should pick me.

Yep, although stanfords is non-binding, so I don't have to accept. I haven't accepted yet, in fact.
2010: Eco 46
2011: Eng 45 MMM 47 MFM 50 Phy 44 MUEP Comp Systems 5.5
2012: Stanford University :)

(selling SAT/american college books, pm me)