Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:10:17 pm

Author Topic: Two englishes and two maths??? (Subject selection help)  (Read 684 times)  Share 

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
Two englishes and two maths??? (Subject selection help)
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:16:38 pm »
Hey guys!
So I'm currently in year 10 and subject selection's due in like 2 weeks. Here's the subjects im thinking of doing in year 11:

- english 1/2
- biology 3/4 (currently doing units 1/2)
- literature 1/2
- methods 1/2
- spesh 1/2
- physics 1/2

Would this be a good combination of subjects? I'm kinda concerned that doing 2 englishes and 2 maths would be too much and also that it's not broad enough (and it might also be boring). I'm also considering doing chemistry, french, psychology, or maybe history if i were to replace one or two of my subjects.

And to anyone who did the same/similar subjects to what im thinking of doing: was the workload heavy, did you feel as if you were missing out by doing double english and maths when you could have been doing other subjects, would you reccomend it, etc.

thanks heaps to anyone who replies to this !!!! any advice would be amazing :D
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Two englishes and two maths??? (Subject selection help)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 11:04:40 pm »
Hey guys!
So I'm currently in year 10 and subject selection's due in like 2 weeks. Here's the subjects im thinking of doing in year 11:

- english 1/2
- literature 1/2
- methods 1/2
- spesh 1/2
- physics 1/2

Would this be a good combination of subjects? I'm kinda concerned that doing 2 englishes and 2 maths would be too much and also that it's not broad enough (and it might also be boring). I'm also considering doing chemistry, french, psychology, or maybe history if i were to replace one or two of my subjects.

And to anyone who did the same/similar subjects to what im thinking of doing: was the workload heavy, did you feel as if you were missing out by doing double english and maths when you could have been doing other subjects, would you reccomend it, etc.

I did four out of 6 of those subjects (In place of physics/lit I did chemistry and MUEP chemistry).

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with going with two maths/Englishes. A heap of people do two maths + the compulsory English so just adding another English won't be too bad. Anyway, if you believe these should be your 6 subjects you should just go for it - rather than alter it for some sort of perceived balance. This assumes you have already thought about prerequisites for university.

Sconey

• Trendsetter
  • 'Any fool can know. The point is to understand.'
  • Respect: +52
Re: Two englishes and two maths??? (Subject selection help)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:16:26 pm »
Hey guys!

- english 1/2
- literature 1/2
- methods 1/2
- spesh 1/2
- physics 1/2

And to anyone who did the same/similar subjects to what im thinking of doing: was the workload heavy, did you feel as if you were missing out by doing double english and maths when you could have been doing other subjects, would you recommend it, etc.

I'm in Year 11 and I'm currently doing 5 out of those 6 subjects (I'm doing Accounting instead of Literature). I'm also doing Method's 3/4 as well as Biology 3/4. I think the workload will be manageable, I don't think it will be significantly more than any small change you would make.

In terms of missing out, if you think that you would get more out of doing another subject instead of one of your English's, go for it. I doubt you will regret it.